“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of No8 Bistro

No8 Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
No8 Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 858 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Having forged a fantastic reputation for culinary excellence over the past twelve years, independent business no8 offers an exceptional dining experience in all of their outlets in the beautiful city of York along with a dedicated outside catering team that works across Yorkshire panning special events. We believe that outstanding fresh Yorkshire produce should be the star of the show. Our beautiful bistro is located on the hustling and bustling Gillygate, a street full of independent shops and restaurants which leads into the heart of York. With our intimate front room, spacious garden room and hidden garden that basks in the York Minsters shade and overlooks the city walls it is the perfect place to come and savour all York has to offer. With local art work available to admire or buy on our bistro walls you can sit back, relax and enjoy a delicious meal. Whether you're popping in for breakfast, brunch, a leisurely lunch, afternoon tea or a tasty dinner, we know you will love the unique feel, friendly team and delicious home-made food.
York, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2014

There were 10 of us on a Thursday night and without exception everyone rated this as one of the best meals we've had in York or anywhere else. The food was exceptional and the service relaxed and unobtrusive. Can't recommend it highly enough.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Hull/Manchester
“Can't fault it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2014

Great location, lovely and helpful staff, great choice on the menu. Food came quickly (kudos to the one chef on shift!), was absolutely lovely and good value (three courses, a bottle of wine plus a soft drink for £70) - I've already recommended it to family members.

Visited August 2014
York, United Kingdom
“A bit disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2014

I had heard good things about Cafe No. 8, but Gillygate is on the opposite side of York to where I live. However, two friends who live quite close took me to dinner there recently, so I was looking forward to a good dinner.

There was a board advertising four cocktails, two gin-based and two vodka-based. I opted for a cocktail which contained gin and blueberries. I like cocktails, so I was rather disappointed to be given a tumbler of gin (which I couldn't taste) topped up with blueberry juice. We ordered our starters and mains and were hardly into drinking our "cocktails" when the starters arrived. All three of us agreed that we would have liked more time before the starters arrived.

My starter was the soup of the day which was beetroot soup with chilli. This was served with some good bread, but I couldn't work out whether the soup was meant to be hot or cold as it was only just tepid. It was also rather salty.

One of my friends and I opted for crispy pig cheeks, belly pork and celeriac & fennel remoulade. We also ordered a side order of potato gratin which came in a little saucepan. The presentation was good (apart from a forest of inedible fresh thyme) but the crispy pig cheek had been replaced by some sort of rather salty faggot - might have been black pudding. The waitress warned us that our little saucepans of potato gratin were hot as they were just out of the oven. However, I could handle them quite easily and the potatoes were just about warm.

We had a decent bottle of red wine, and rather than having puddings we had coffee and liqueurs - I had a glass of port. As I was a guest I didn't see the bill, but I think the prices are quite reasonable.

To sum up, it's a nice little restaurant and the staff were very friendly, but I was a bit disappointed with the food. I would probably go again, but I wouldn't make a special effort.

2 Thank Yorkie_guy_55
Reading, United Kingdom
“Beautiful breakfast in rustic town garden”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

Well what can I say, it was a great start to our honeymoon (stopped off in York on our way up to Scotland). We sat in a lovely little garden with our dog and had a beautiful, simple and elegant breakfast. All at a very reasonable price.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Cafe number 8 is number 1 in our selection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

We heard that this restaurant is providing excellent food and service in york so decided to give it a try and was not disappointed. Definitely one of the best restaurants in this beautiful City. We will be back soon

1 Thank Derek B