“Perfect!”

Ranked #35 of 909 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Our small-but-beautiful bistro is found on the busy and lively Gillygate in York. A street full of independent shops and businesses, it leads right into the heart of York through one of its ancient City gates. A traditional and cosy bistro front room that evokes the brasseries of Paris connects to a more spacious and lighter garden room at the rear. This in turn leads to our charming and secluded garden area adjoining the City Walls and basking in the glory of the fabulous York Minster. Whether you come for breakfast, for lunch, or an evening meal, the bistro provides a delightful setting for you to enjoy your meal. Ideal for romantic couples, families or large groups, Café No.8’s bistro offers simple, modern, quality food at excellent value. Make a reservation and see why we consistently appear in ‘top places to eat’ lists both locally and nationally.
Reviewed August 15, 2014

A few people had told me to try this place - so I took my Mother, Sister and best friend a week's back. We all had the 2 Course Sunday Lunch. What an absolute delight . Presentation was a picture and the food stunning... My mother is quite hard to please! - but this now both of our's new favorite place- She is already planning another trip to see me in York, just so she can eat here!!

P.s The cardamon ice cream is out of the world.!!

1  Thank Samantha R

Reviewed August 14, 2014

Had dinner here in the last week. Very pleasant surroundings (at least in the front room where we were). Food was tremendous and of a much higher standard than one might expect from the cafe-style interior. The kicker is that it was really excellent value too! Will definitely be back next time I'm in York. Can't recommend highly enough.

1  Thank GreenRover95
Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

Dropped in here today for a late lunch. Great little bistro style cafe! Both my wife and I ordered the soup and sandwich deal; a steal at £10 for such a tasty lunch! The leek, pea and broad bean soup was especially delicious! I could've easily polished off a gallon of it! With the ever-changing, seasonal menu, we'll certainly be back for more.

1  Thank vokildir
Reviewed August 12, 2014

This is my second visit to Cafe No 8. Both times we needed to book midweek as people turned away. Excellent food, well presented and different. Good service. Tables at front of cafe quite cramped.

Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

I had read the comments on here about the poor service and was a little apprehensive about going but a local lady in a shop a few doors down said it was a great place and the service was friendly so we booked a table for last night, a Saturday.

The service couldn't have been friendlier, the staff were delightful, the food truly magnificent (Salmon trifle starter a standout) and very good value.

I would thoroughly recommend this bistro when visiting York.

1  Thank Experttravelleruk1