“A little gem waiting to be discovered.”
Review of Cafe No.8 Bistro

Cafe No.8 Bistro
Ranked #30 of 920 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Our small-but-beautiful bistro is found on the busy and lively Gillygate in York. A street full of independent shops and businesses, it leads right into the heart of York through one of its ancient City gates. A traditional and cosy bistro front room that evokes the brasseries of Paris connects to a more spacious and lighter garden room at the rear. This in turn leads to our charming and secluded garden area adjoining the City Walls and basking in the glory of the fabulous York Minster. Whether you come for breakfast, for lunch, or an evening meal, the bistro provides a delightful setting for you to enjoy your meal. Ideal for romantic couples, families or large groups, Café No.8’s bistro offers simple, modern, quality food at excellent value. Make a reservation and see why we consistently appear in ‘top places to eat’ lists both locally and nationally.
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Our family of four live locally and decided to go to dinner after recommendation from a friend. What a treat we had!. Delicious meat, good seasonal vegetables and delectable desserts. The service was great and giving that it was a Sunday night in January where most restaurants are quiet we felt welcomed and very well catered for. Good job . Thank you.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

The food is great and it's a lovely little restaurant. They use very good locally sourced produce and it's cooked to an excellent standard. The venue is a lovely little place and there's a nice garden terrace outside which is pleasant in the summer.

I can't fault the place other than the fact the last time we went we were made to feel incredibly awkward.

My wife is intolerant to dairy and gluten. We asked if they could do her a veggie breakfast and make the scrambled eggs without milk and butter and not cook the large field mushrooms in butter. The owner was more than obliging and asked if she would like a whole egg omelette making with mushrooms, tomatoes and a small number of chips on the side. This was excellent and very good news to us as it can be quite difficult to eat out with food intolerance's so we tend to seek out places that cook from scratch as it isn't much bother to omit an ingredient or two.

As I said this was fantastic so we went back again, on the same day at roughly the same time (it wasn't stacked out). We spoke to the same guy and mentioned we'd been in a few weeks ago and he'd suggested making my wife an omelette, toms, mushrooms....etc and could we have the same. He screwed his face up and made a bit of a mumbling to the effect that this was a major pain and said something along tho lines of 'I'm not sure we can do an omelette'. After mentioning he did it last time and in fact was the one who suggested it (we would have been happy with standard scrambled eggs less the milk and butter) there was a long awkward pause and he kind of, begrudgingly, agreed to do it.

Lovely place but I doubt we'd go again. I don't mind if a place can't be bothered with the hassle of catering for customers with food intolerances so long as we know the score. He was so enthusiastic and helpful the first time we visited I never thought for a minute we'd get the response we did the second time. We don't go out to be made to feel awkward.

They'd have got 4-5 stars otherwise. Shame.

1  Thank RToffer
Cafe8Man, Manager at Cafe No.8 Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Message
I'm really disappointed to read your review - we take great pride at Cafe No8 in offering a level of service that is genuine and heartfelt.
Thinking back to August all I can recall is that something had gone wrong behind the scenes that day. Equipment failure or staffing issues can have a very dramatic effect in such a small working environment. It would appear that on your visit I let it get the better of me and I apologise.
Please don't let your last visit prevent you from trying us again. We had looked after you in the past and I am confident we would do so again in the future.
Infact I would like to invite you to come again at your convenience as my guest in recompense - I could confirm via email if that is suitable or just mention my name when booking.
Regards, Martin

Reviewed January 2, 2014

We had a fabulous meal on spec. Wonderful food - we couldn't believe our good fortune. The food was cooked to perfection and the choice was great. We loved the atmosphere and the friendly service as well. The cocktails were lovely too. Loved it and would happily recommend it to anyone.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Although I shouldnt be telling people about Yorks best restaurant as its quite small, so bookings are advisable.
We eat here regularly and have never had a bad meal,
The menu is short but changes, except for the signature rhubarb and custard pavlova whichi is fantastic and there would be a riot if it got taken off the menu.
Great selection of wines too.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We came here for breakfast on two occasions and found the breakfast menu particularly tasty.

The food was plated in a more contemporary manner and was excellent value.

The kedgeree was lovely, small English breakfast also and the bubble and squeak was so good my wife ordered it both days.

The drinks were interesting, with sparkling cordials of various flavours. Definitely a good choice.

Service really friendly.

The café does fill up quite quickly from midday, therefore worth reserving in advance if you can.