“My All Time Favourite Place in York”
Review of Cafe No.8 Bistro

Cafe No.8 Bistro
Ranked #36 of 916 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: European
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Our small-but-beautiful bistro is found on the busy and lively Gillygate in York. A street full of independent shops and businesses, it leads right into the heart of York through one of its ancient City gates. A traditional and cosy bistro front room that evokes the brasseries of Paris connects to a more spacious and lighter garden room at the rear. This in turn leads to our charming and secluded garden area adjoining the City Walls and basking in the glory of the fabulous York Minster. Whether you come for breakfast, for lunch, or an evening meal, the bistro provides a delightful setting for you to enjoy your meal. Ideal for romantic couples, families or large groups, Café No.8’s bistro offers simple, modern, quality food at excellent value. Make a reservation and see why we consistently appear in ‘top places to eat’ lists both locally and nationally.
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Cafe No.8 has been our favourite place to go for the last few years now. This place consistently turns out great food with the menu changing regularly so we never keep ordering the same thing. I love the fig starters, beef or lamb mains and any of their desserts.

The food is cooked fresh, this can sometimes mean that it takes longer to serve but this suits us perfectly as we are never in a rush to leave. I can't fault the staff, who are always friendly and helpful.
We have tried lots of restaurants in York (and I am particularly fussy) but Cafe No.8 always comes out top!

4  Thank Kismi

Reviewed April 22, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our first venture at Cafe n 8 in York. We opted for the 2 course £22 menu on a Saturday night (it would have been £27 for 3 courses) and although it might not strike some as good value I thought it was as the food was particularly delicious and inventive from a menu where each dish was very tempting. My fig and blue cheese tartlet and the north african flavoured 3 way lamb dish were both delicious and beautifully served. In fact I believe the 2 and 3 course menu is cheaper during the week.
The service was excellent, the atmosphere relaxing, what is there not to like? We will be back.

3  Thank Isabelle17_10
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Highly recommended. The staff were incredibly obliging and polite whilst the food on offer was really rather different but absolutely delicious. I had pigeon and ginger with beetroot purée and pistachio crumble then belly pork cooked with garlic and star anise. My partner had chicken liver pâté but it was like none we had ever tasted before ...... DO try it and you'll see what I mean! Finally a pudding of banoffi pie that was to die for. If your in York and want a real foodie treat then go here. BUT, book well in advance as it is, not surprisingly, very popular!

2  Thank crozza2000
Reviewed April 18, 2013

A lovely cafe located in a great spot in the city. It is centrally located but just around the corner from the busy pedestrian streets. The cafe is very welcoming, with some cafe seating in the front of the shop, and some more space located in the back in a lovely room with lots of sunlight. The cafe blends the old and the new, in very much a York way. We visited for a Sunday lunch and the food was delicious! Simple menu, packed with with fresh flavours. The staff was very friendly and the service was great. Highly recommend from breakfast, lunch or a lovely bistro dinner.

2  Thank Phanie_11
Reviewed April 15, 2013

What a great innovative menu. I had fig in a filo crust and my husband had black pudding as starters followed by belly pork and salmon with crayfish.......wonderful flavours! Would recommend this excellent restaurant to anyone visiting York, you won't be dissapointed.

2  Thank scallywag50