“Return visit”
Review of Cafe No.8 Bistro

Cafe No.8 Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe No.8 Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 869 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Our small-but-beautiful bistro is found on the busy and lively Gillygate in York. A street full of independent shops and businesses, it leads right into the heart of York through one of its ancient City gates. A traditional and cosy bistro front room that evokes the brasseries of Paris connects to a more spacious and lighter garden room at the rear. This in turn leads to our charming and secluded garden area adjoining the City Walls and basking in the glory of the fabulous York Minster. Whether you come for breakfast, for lunch, or an evening meal, the bistro provides a delightful setting for you to enjoy your meal. Ideal for romantic couples, families or large groups, Café No.8’s bistro offers simple, modern, quality food at excellent value. Make a reservation and see why we consistently appear in ‘top places to eat’ lists both locally and nationally.
Scotland
“Return visit”
Reviewed November 5, 2011

Back in York, I decided to try No 8 again. On my return visit to the restaurant I was greeted warmly and shown to my table in the rear section of the cafe. The food was superb - especially the smoked salmon "trifle" starter, and the rhubarb and custard pavlova dessert which were both delicious and very imaginatively prepared. The staff were attentive and helpful at all times. Definitely glad I paid a second visit - well worth it. The tables filled up quickly during my stay, and this made the room a bit noisy as there was lots of general chatter in a small space, but No 8 is obviously very popular.

• Visited November 2011

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Rotherham, United Kingdom
“Simply excellent.”
Reviewed November 3, 2011

We zeroed in on this eating place by working down from #1 on TripAdvisor and checking against our TasteCard list of restaurants. The first match we got was Cafe #8. I checked the reviews and the website and booked - in itself a pleasing experience. The person taking the booking was friendly and helpful and we decided to eat early - 18:30 to be precise.

The restaurant is smallish, but brightly lit, with another favourite feature of mine - an open kitchen. Great stuff.

Staff were friendly, attentive, yet not pushy or overbearing.

Food was quite literally out of this world.

My starter was a whitby salmon terrine with beetroot. Absolutely delicious.

Main was quite simply the most tender and flavoursome lamb I have ever eaten. It came with a perfectly cooked rosti and with something I thought would be horrible - a cauliflower cheese in a breadcrumb coating! To my surprise the texture of this and of the rosti added plenty of bite to go with the tender and melting lamb. Wonderful.

I never ever have desserts, but buoyed up by the success we had with the first two courses I ordered the chocolate pot with pistachio ice cream and kirsch-soaked cherries. Wow. I'm not a massive dessert fan but this was almost perfect for my tastes. The pistachio ice cream was not over sweet, and nor was the bitter chocolate, which made the cherry sweetness an amazing sensation. Just sensational.

My girlfriend had a similar culinary experience - the pate to start was delicious, her Hake main was wonderful, and her dessert gooseberry and elderflower cheesecake magnificent.

Our taste card meant the bill came to around £30 instead of around £60, but I was so happy with the food that I gave the waiter an extra £10 and asked that he told the chef why the till was up a tenner this evening. And I'm a yorkshireman and thus supposed to be "careful".

The food was terrific. The atmosphere was terrific. We had a fabulous time, and before we left the restaurant we had worked out that it was roughly 1hr from our house, so that should tell you something!

Cannot recommend it highly enough. At "normal" prices I would have been happy. If the meal came to £40 I would have been the happiest man on the planet. That we had a taste card and the meal was £30 is just amazing.

Go there now.

• Visited November 2011
“One of the best meals I've had in York!”
Reviewed November 3, 2011

Having looked at the menu online I was aware that for someone who doesn't eat meat the options are somewhat limited, but not being a fussy eater I was excited about the Fish of the Day and vegetarian options available nonetheless. I booked ahead, and the place was full by 18.30 with pre-theatre diners. The two waiting staff welcomed us and were really lovely throughout the meal, not too intrusive but there when we needed them. My fellow diner and I were absolutely starving so decided to have starters and main, taking a gamble on whether we could also manage dessert (I love chocolate and cheese). We had grilled pear stuffed with blue cheese on salad, and a black pudding dish served with roast apple. My pear and cheese dish sounds pretty standard, but was completely divine. Because the pear was grilled it wasn't of the usual mushy and wet variety, and the caramelised Pecans that were served with it ensured that this starter is a masterfully balanced yet indulgent feeling dish. I really loved it. The black pudding also got the thumbs up and was presented beautifully. For our mains we had hake with mussels in a saffron sauce (the fish of the day dish), and the steak, done 2 ways. Both dishes again looked beautiful on the plate, and whilst the portions aren't huge there was enough to satisfy my (quite large) appetite. The highlight of my dish was the saffron sauce, which complemented the hake nicely without overpowering the dish. My only small complaint would be that there could have been more mussels involved in this dish, but maybe I was being greedy. The steak was apparently one of the best steaks my friend had had in a long time and there wasn't a single bite left on either of our plates (and not just because of my appetite). Despite both being comfortably full at this point, the dessert options looked too good not to be given a chance. We ordered the cheese board and a chocolate pot. The cheeses included a favourite of mine, smoked goats cheese, and the board was a nice portion size, well presented and, most importantly, came with enough crackers. The chocolate pot was a decadent portion of heaven, made with good quality dark chocolate and served with pistachio ice cream.

I don't think I could pick a favourite dish, the meal as a whole was super enjoyable and the friendly and informal atmosphere really added to the experience being one of the best meals out I have had in York. The wine list had some reasonably priced options, I experienced the staff deal politely and efficiently with a complaint on the neighbouring table, and whilst the food isn't cheap, it is worth EVERY PENNY. www.bettyknowsyork.com

1 Thank BettyKnowsYork
manchester, england
“Must go - Now!!!”
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Visited York for one night for my birthday with my partner and went here after a recommendation from the taxi driver. Wow, it did not disappoint!
The food was amazing and the combinations excellent and different. Really high quality ingredients at a reasonable price.
Service excellent too.
Highly recommended!

Lake District, United Kingdom
“Excellent for a light lunch”
Reviewed October 30, 2011

A little on the fringe of York but this does mean it doesn't get packed. Excellent for a reasonably priced lunch. l

• Visited October 2011