“Nice place”

Ranked #111 of 881 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Within walking distance of the beautiful York Minster, Bella Italia provides the city of York with a delightful taste of Italy. Part of the well known Bella Italia restaurant group with outlets across the UK, this York branch represents the company well. Diners can choose from the well priced set menu featuring a good selection of Italian dishes to the extensive a la carte menu with its numerous pizza and pasta options such as the Pollo Piccantina pizza topped with sweet roasted peppers, onions, spicy chicken, smoked mozzarella and fresh chillies or the Penne Marco Polo - penne pasta with duck sautéed in a plum sauce. The all Italian wine list is always a winner and Peroni and Moretti take care of the beers.
Scarborough, England, United Kingdom
“Nice place”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

I have been here for both lunch and dinner on separate occasions. Much preferred it during the day. Lovely food and not too pricey.

• Visited April 2014

• Turkish first
“Nothing special about it”
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

We popped into Bella yesterday, because my gf had a great experience in another restaurant in Leeds. Sadly, it was very average. At the begining we ordered chicken wings to start and ribs(new on the menu) for main. Waiter came back to inform us that they had ran out of both wings and ribs, it was only 5pm! Finally we decided to have prawns to start - lovely, quite spicy and succullent. For mains I had chicken breast and my gf had pollo formaggi. Chicken very bland, grilled, very dry, no herbs, no spices. The other dish was just bland chicken, bland sauce(should be more of it on the plate).
There are more interesting restaurants than this one.
The waiter was busy running around and seemed to forget about tables already seated. A few tables around had the same experience with 1 table of 3 sat next to us waiting over 1/2 hr for mains and when they asked how long he walked off talking over his shoulder '2-3mins'.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Poor service and lukewarm food”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We decided to eat and as we were passing Bella Italia it seemed like a good choice as the sign proudly stated 'gluten free menu'. Once we entered we were left wandering around and eventually I found some-one and asked if we could be seated. We were sat at a table and given menus but no-one took the time to explain the specials or soup of the day, which was very disappointing.

Our drinks order was taken but in the hour we were in the restaurant we were not asked if we wanted another drink. The starter arrived but no side plates (despite being told they were on their way) and the chilli bread turned up on a cracked wooden board which didn't look very hygienic.

For my main I ordered the gluten free pasta with cherry tomatoes, baby mozzarella, basil and aubergine. Unfortunately this had been left on the hotplate for some time, which meant that the edges of the dish were cold although the centre was warm. Having been asked if I wanted pepper and parmasen cheese, I asked for both but the waitress managed to leave parmesan in my lap with her don't care attitude to grating! The basil in my meal consisted off a freshly cut clump off a plant which wasn't incorporated into the dish. My food was greasy and very disappointing. The other main meal also wasn't that inspiring.

All in all, even for a chain, this was an extremely disappointing experience with lukewarm food and disinterested service. We won't be gong back again.

• Visited April 2014
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“Very surprised”
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

We visited The restaurant with not high hopes as have had very average meals in the chain of restaurants before. However was very pleasantly surprised. Very authentic restaurant you don't feel it's just another Restaurant that looks and feels like all the others. The staff were extremely attentive and food was very good. Not rushed, just the right amount of attention and we all ate every bit. Wonderful!! Would highly recommend.

Harrogate, United Kingdom
“A bit dear but we enjoyed it!”
Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

Nice and clean, staff helpful food was better than ok. Shame that the soft drinks were so expensive. I had to drive it's always an issue but it's no different anywhere else. I would go again.

• Visited March 2014