“Excellent hotel, clean, well organised and great breakfast!”
Review of Hotel 53

Hotel 53
Ranked #31 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed September 8, 2009

We booked in to this hotel at the last minute as a stopover. Reception were very helpful on the phone and in person, allocated a parking space for us and made check in a very smooth process.

The room was clean, modern and spacious with a comfy bed. Breakfast was very impressive, great selection and lovely hot full english that was well stocked.

Overall I thought this hotel was much better than others in it's price range - (£79 per night including breakfast and parking) and we would definitely recommend it and stay again when we next go to York.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SarahCoops

Reviewed September 5, 2009

I arrived too late (6pm) to get one of the hotel's allocated parking spaces, receptionist seemed a little unhelpful and fairly unknowledgable about York public parking. My bedroom was vey nice, decor and furnishings were stylish. Bathroom was disappointing, no better than a budget hotel, also bathroom could have been cleaner, the shower gel dispenser didn't work for example. Breakfast next morning was excellent and the staff there seemed organised and efiicient, keeping the hot buffet table very well stocked. Because of the very limited parking I'd be unlikely to stay at this hotel again even though I visit York fairly often.

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed September 2, 2009

Arriving at the hotel far too early to get into the room the charming receptionist nevertheless booked us in and arranged storage of our luggage. The hotel was clean and modern with comfortable furniture in the reception area. Rooms were medium sized with all necessary amenities. Breakfast was good with all necessary choices but was taken in a rather bland and uninspiring dining room. Staff were helpful and courteous at all times. One aspect which did detract was the small and limited bar area. All in all a perfect base for exploring the city of York but essentially a stop over hotel rather than a stay for a length of time venue. We will certainly use it again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank starryeyed_traveller
Reviewed September 2, 2009

stayed at the for two nights,with my 5 month old baby and husband.the hotel staff where helpfull and pleasant enough.the lobby was modern and very nice,but the rooms where a bit tatty and an odd shape.not much room to hang your clothes on,no wardrobes just hooks on the wall.the room was facing the road and was very noisey,was woke by all the deliverys to the hotels.wasn't no better than a premier inn ,but 50 pound a night dearer.there is a premier inn over the road from this hotel by the river,my advice is go there .we will next time.remember just because it costs more ,doesn't meen it's better.anyway we loved york and had an fab time , would go back and go on the ghost walk again .just not to hotel 53.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 27, 2009

Great hotel. Free Internet, nobody try to sell you anything.
Maybe the rooms need more ventilation or air conditioning.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 26, 2009

I'm only giving this hotel a 4 star rating because of the noise. I was impressed with the room and the friendliness of the staff and most certain would go back. But my room was overlooking an alley and was over the restaurant/bar. The noise did stop at a reasonable time but I had had no sleep for 24 hours and was welcoming an early night. So I suppose if I wasn't so tired this wouldnt have bothered me. But there was also excessive noise from the next room which has me questioning the sound proofing of the rooms. However for the cheap rate I got, £60+, the high quality of the room and staff was totally unexpected. Also the location was perfect, walking distance from the main shopping area and the main tourist attractions. Though I would advise a taxi from the train station.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 25, 2009

We stayed here for one night at the weekend. A lovely hotel, very clean and modern, good room with comfy double bed and sofa bed for our toddler.

There was a free standing fan in the room when we got there and soon new why ! There was no air conditioning and the room was so hot. The window would only open a certain width so we had the fan on all night and still had an awful sleep. I kept thinking I was going to have a panic attack.

In the morning we had a lovely breakfast and upon checking out said about the heat of the room and it appeared the receptionist must have heard this before.

Our room was on the 5th floor so hopefully wouldn 't be too bad on lower floors. Anyway I might return as the service and room was great but would ask for a lower floor and wouldn't go in summer. It wasn't even a hot summer night so be warned if booking in the height of summer!

Such a shame they skimped on cost when building the hotel and didn't put air con in !

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family