Hotel 53
  • Pool
$130
$106
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express York(York)(Great Value!)
$56
Very Good 4/5
York Marriott Hotel(York)(Great Value!)
$77
$110
$95
Travelocity
1,941 results
All reviewscar parkcity centrewalk in showerper nightsofa bedgreat showerbuffet stylestayed for one nightcastle museumfew minutes walkwould stay againvisiting yorktea and coffeebiscuitsfull englishwetherspoonspiccadilly
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

Family room was very tight for space. Nice beds but without AC couldn't breathe in it. Window had limited effectiveness to let fresh air in. Cheap enough so guess you get what you pay for. Parking opposite is handy and secure.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Hotel53YorkCentre, Front Office Manager at Hotel 53, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2014

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at Hotel 53. I am sorry that you found your room too warm. Hotel 53 does not have air conditioning in any of our bedrooms however we do provide free standing fans which help to cool rooms in warm weather, these can be requested from reception. I am pleased that you liked our beds but I am sorry that you found the set-up to be tight. I am confident that the photos we use to advertise our family rooms show the bed-set well and these are suitable for a short stay in York. Our car parking is opposite the hotel in the Castle Mills car park and we charge £10 per night for a permit. Our car park is locked nightly at 9pm and re-opened at 6am however Hotel 53 guests can access their vehicles at any time by requesting at reception. Thank you one again for your review, we hope to welcome you again.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

The showers never ran hot, and the rooms are nothing special. For the same money you can get better value if booking ahead, however if you can get a last minute bargain, it really isnt that bad adn you could do worse

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review of your stay at Hotel 53 back in December 2013. I am sorry to read that your shower never ran hot, did you call reception to report this? If you had I am sure that the duty manager on shift would have been able to adjust the temperature to ensure you received a nice hot shower. Hotel 53 is designed with modern simplicity and I am sorry that this did not suit you. I am confident that were you to compare the price you paid for your room with other 3* hotels in York at the time you booked, you would find our prices favourable. York is a very popular destination and this does push the price of hotel rooms up compared to our neighbouring cities. Thank you once again for your review,

Reviewed July 2, 2014

Although the rooms aren't huge, they are bigger than the usual hotels I stay at in London and perfectly adequate. Huge shower and a good breakfast.

Very convenient for the city centre which is a short walk away, 2 minutes to get onto the walls and close to the river and a few good pubs close by. Generally a good location although the immediate area is a little run down it still felt perfectly safe at night.

My only gripe was there are no wardrobes, just a few coat hangers on the wall and no bedside tables, not a huge issue but something that would definitely improve the hotel.

My room at the back of the hotel was quiet and pleasant with everything that could be expected in a 3* hotel.

The real point of interest is that Dick Turpin is reputedly buried in the small almost forgotten graveyard at the rear of the hotel, which could be seen from my window - fab!

Staff were pleasant and helpful. In answer to the $64 question - would I stay there again?
Yes absolutely.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your wonderful review of your recent stay in York. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and liked your bedroom and view! York has a lot of history and we are very fortunate to have Dick Turpin's grave right next to the hotel. Hotel 53 is designed with modern simplicity, whilst we do not have bed-side tables as such, there are cubby wholes in the fixed headboard which is large enough to store phones, drinks and books during the night. Many guests find our hanging space and shelves above adequate but I do realise this is down to personal taste.

I am happy that you found staff pleasant and helpful, each member has an intimate knowledge of York and we are all here to help. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel 53 in the future, why not use your 10% trip advisor discount, call direct on 01904 559000 and quote 'Trip Advisor' for your discount.

Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

Stopped for my 1st wedding anniversary 29th to 30th june. Was amazing. Room was spectacular kingsize bed huge walk in shower. Leather sofa. Awesome flatscreen tv. Complimentary toiletries. Breakfast inclusive which was out of this world. Choice was stunning. Staff great. Really good price for location. Highly recommend. Made everything special. Thanks hotel53.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank nikilido
Hotel53YorkCentre, Front Office Manager at Hotel 53, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

Thank you for your excellent review of your stay at Hotel 53. I am so pleased that we were able to be part of your first wedding anniversary celebrations this year! I will pass all of your wonderful comments to staff around the hotel who will really appreciate your kind words. We hop to welcome you back to Hotel 53 in the future!

Reviewed June 29, 2014

After looking at the website gallery we decided to book 3 rooms, paying more than a reasonable rate, we thought this hotel would be a nice surprise for some friends coming to visit. On arrival things we great, helpful staff and available parking. However when entering the rooms I was so disappointed, way too basic!!! I know location is great and can accept a higher charge due to being in a tourist area, but I have experienced much better quality in £29 a night hotels.

I feel that the website pictures do not paint a honest picture of the reality, small room, tiny bathroom, small TV, tatty furnished fittings and this was sold as a family room with a contemporary feel. Looked on trip advisor before booking and saw that someone complained about having no view only a building wall, we asked for rooms with views making a note of this comment. when we got in all our rooms had no view only a roof in front

would pay a little more in future to experience a better stay somewhere else in york. your rooms are £60 room all day maximum no more!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jamie b

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at Hotel 53. I am glad that you found our staff to be helpful, each member of staff is a credit to our team and all have an intimate knowledge of York. I am pleased to read that you chose to stay at Hotel 53 having viewed the new photos of our recently re-decorated bedrooms on our website. I am sorry that your rooms did not live up to your expectations. I do believe that our photos represent what we offer at Hotel 53 and show the size of rooms and the bedroom and bathroom amenities. The photos of our family rooms on our website are exactly the same as the rooms which you were allocated. The hotel is designed with stylish modern simplicity and I am sorry if this was not to your taste.

As you mention, Hotel 53 has a great location inside the city walls and approximately 5 minutes walk to the main city centre area with shops and bars. Our location does mean that we do not have rooms with a view as such, however if requested we can try to allocate rooms that are not facing a wall. Your family rooms were allocated on the side of the hotel with a view of the grassy park area where Dick Turpin's grave is thought to be next to the hotel. There is a building next to us which may have been the roof you say your view was of, however you will also have been able to see the park area too.

I am sorry that you feel the rate you paid was over-priced. York is a very popular destination and this does push up the price of rooms, especially on a busy Saturday night. I am confident that were you to compare the price you paid for your room with other hotels of a similar standard at the time you made your reservation, you would find our offering to be quite favourable.

Thank you once again for your review.