“Lovely Break”
Review of Hotel 53

Hotel 53
Ranked #30 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We stayed for one night this weekend for our 29th wedding anniversary, the hotel was excellent, overall very clean and the room beautiful, the staff were very friendly and helpful. We had B&B and the breakfast was good with plenty of choice. Would stay again..

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Hotel53YorkCentre, Front Office Manager at Hotel 53, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Thank you for your excellent review of your recent stay at Hotel 53. I am glad that you found your room very clean and beautiful, our housekeepers do spend hours daily ensuring each room is perfect. I personally love our breakfast buffet, our brand new head chef is currently looking at ways to expand the quality and selection available. I am so pleased that we were able to be a part of your 29th Wedding anniversary celebrations! Have you thought about your Pearl anniversary next year? Why not book our Celebratory Package which includes dinner for two, champagne chocolates and flowers on arrival. If you book direct we can even offer you a 10% discount by quoting Trip Advisor.

Kind Regards,
Rachael Alderman

Write a ReviewReviews (1,905)

Reviewed June 25, 2014

Visited again as liked the location and for reasonably priced hotel in York is ideal for us. Can't really add anymore since my last review as everything the same. You don't get anything extra or discount for being a return guest and although quick check in I have come across cheerier staff in hotels. We like York and as we know our bearings with this hotel would probably be happy to stay again

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at Hotel 53 York. I am pleased that you chose to return to Hotel 53 having enjoyed your visit last year. We do like to reward guests booking direct with us to a 5% discount on rates available on the internet, we also provide a 10% discount to Trip Advisor users. Please be sure to call direct and quote Trip Advisor next time and we will be more than happy to provide you with your discounted rate. I am sort to hear that the receptionist who checked you in was not cheery, this is very out of character for our front desk staff who usually receive glowing remarks about their friendliness.

Thank you once again for your review, we look forward to your return!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed June 23, 2014

Let me start by saying that whilst this hotel didn’t blow me away, I got a good deal (as far as good deals go in York) and I would definitely stay again. The staff were very welcoming indeed.

The hotel is well located for the City Centre and particularly for the York Barbican Theatre which is just three minutes walk round the corner. For those looking for affordable drinks, there is a Wetherspoons right across the road. I arrived by train and it was a short £5 taxi ride to the hotel.

There are one or two little things the hotel could improve on going forward.

Room

The room was well cleaned with fluffy towels in the bathroom which was also spotless and had good quality soap and shampoo. There was a very comfortable double bed, however it moved (and not just an inch or two) every time I sat on it. There was a sofa which was nice, but I found the tub chair annoying as there was barely enough room for it between the sofa and the side desk where it was situated. A normal chair here would make more sense and give a more roomy feeling. The dust gathering blinds in the room were bent on some of the slats and this let light in early in the morning. I’d replace the blinds with something which is more practical and doesn’t gather the daily dust which reflects badly on the cleaners which is a shame. The TV was perhaps a little on the small side and the remote control was hit and miss. There were three of the room spotlights out and I would have liked a bedside light in order to read in lower light.

Before I leave the room review, I have to say that on the date I stayed, the hotel was clearly not fully booked, yet I was allocated a room at the back which overlooked the nearby Working Mens Club which I’m fine with, however on a hot night with the window open, the noise from the extractor unit below was a nuisance and I didn’t have the best nights sleep. I know I could have asked to move, but once you’re in bed, you’re in and I think that the hotel should only use these rooms when they absolutely have to and should also describe the location and charge a little less for them based on these facts.

Breakfast

I enjoyed the breakfast very much although some will consider the buffet a little sparse. The food supplied was of good quality. I chose the fried egg as the scrambled did look as though it had been out for a while. The bacon was well cooked, the sausage of a great standard and the mushrooms were the best I’ve had in a hotel for quite some time. Joy of joys, they had a toaster which actually worked correctly as well giving out hot toast which actually looked like toast! There were three juices available, none of which I liked (Cranberry juice is my breakfast choice). There were also cereals and fruit.

Other observation

The hotel does not offer restaurant or room service on a weekend. I came back late from the theatre and would have loved a sandwich. I think the hotel could offer a small selection of pre-packed refridgerated sandwiches for guests on weekends and sometimes this is all you need. In the end I could only get a pizza from nearby which was dreadful!

Overall

I can’t give this hotel 5 stars, but I do feel that the overall 3.5 rating on this site at the time of writing this review is unfair when considering the overall offering and the price. It’s a solid 4 out of 5 for me and would get better still with just some small tweaks.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at the back overlooking the extractor fan/generator.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank UncleBulgaria15

Thank you for your lovely review of your recent stay. I am so pleased that you found your room to be spotlessly clean and enjoyed the fluffy towels and our brand new soap and shampoo. Our beds all have wheels fixed to the base, however I have not received comments about the beds moving before, I will look into this. I note your idea for a standard chair in the bedroom rather than the tube chair, I will put this idea to the director next time we renovate the bedrooms. Our senior housekeepers check every room prior to guest's arrival, part of the check is to ensure all the lights are working. The fact that three of your lights weren't working makes me think that there was a light switch that you missed, perhaps the switch located in the headboard that controls the three lights by the window and the lights above the bed separately? I am sorry that you were disturbed by noise during your stay, should you not have wanted your window open during the night, we do provide fans and these can be requested from reception.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your breakfast. I will pass your suggestion of cranberry juice for our breakfast buffet to our new head chef who is currently looking to expand and improve the buffet selection. We have recently started to offer selection of sandwiches available when the restaurant is closed, from your review, I believe that we may need to look more closely at how we advertise this.

Thank you once again for your review, we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed June 23, 2014

Me and my mum had an amazing stay at hotel 53!! The rooms were very modern and the cleaning staff did a great job when cleaning the rooms. The cleaning staff also left some little surprises for you every night (i.e chocolates and towels made into swans). The facilities within the room were great two very comfortable beds, a gigantic power shower and also a tea and coffee tray. I felt very looked after during my stay due to the fact that all of the staff were very friendly. Our breakfast was delicious apart from some runny scrambled eggs. The only thing I was not pleased with was the process of checking in, we had to wait for about an hour until we could proceed to our hotel room.
I would say that overall my stay ate hotel 53 was very enjoyable and I would not hesitate to visit again.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your wonderful review. As lovely as your comments are, our housekeeping staff do not leave chocolates or swan shaped towels in bedrooms so I think you may have confused Hotel 53 with another hotel. We would also never ask guests to wait an hour before allowing access to their room. If a guest arrives before 3pm and their room is not ready (rooms are guaranteed for 3pm), we will store luggage so that you can explore York and return to collect your key at any point after 3pm. We do have large power showers in every room and our breakfast is yummy! We hope that you do return to Hotel 53 in the future!

kind Regards

Reviewed June 22, 2014

Stayed in a family room for 1 night in the first week of June 2014. Room was nice and clean with a modern touch. Walk-in shower was strong. Bed was comfortable. Staff were polite and courteous. The only regret is that it was only a 1 night stay. Would have no hesitation staying there again if I were to return to York.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Hotel53YorkCentre, Front Office Manager at Hotel 53, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Thank you for your very kind words after your stay earlier this month. I am so pleased to read that you found your room nice and clean with a modern touch and that the staff you encountered were polite and courteous, I will pass your comments onto each department who will be thrilled. I am delighted that you would stay with us on your next visit to York, why not book direct for a 10% Trip Advisor discount? If you were planning on staying for longer, we have a stay 3 nights and receive 20% discount promotion.

Kind Regards

Reviewed June 20, 2014

we stayed for one night as a quick break. Wasn't disappointed at all. Was greeted by jane at reception who was very pleasant and helpful. we were in room 420 which was very clean and modern. T he bed was comfortable and the bathroom was lovely especially the large shower. The breakfasts were lovely, you have a good choice of cerial and cooked breakfast with toast and plenty of tea and coffee. I will be coming back to this hotel for another visit soon.

1  Thank gaynorray
Hotel53YorkCentre, Front Office Manager at Hotel 53, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2014

Thank you for your lovely review of your recent stay at Hotel 53. I am so pleased you found our receptionist to be pleasant and helpful, we don't have a receptionist called Jane, however I believe you were greeted by Claire who is a great receptionist and a credit to our team. I am glad that you liked your room with your comfortable bed and large shower, all of our rooms have large walk-in power showers which helps keep the modern feel of the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you in the future, why not call direct and quote 'Trip Advisor' for your 10% discount?

Reviewed June 16, 2014

Myself and my girlfriend had a short stay at this hotel on 14th June 2014.
The good things about this hotel would be that the room is spacious and the bed as mentioned before is large and is very comfortable, the bathroom is also lovely, great shower but I would say this is where the good things end.

Our room was at the back of the hotel on the 4th floor and the lift was BROKEN, due it being a hot day having to climb numerous flights of stairs definitely ruined the mood instantly.
Opening the window cooled the room down considerably but as it was a Saturday night leaving the window open is not a good idea as the NOISE from the hotel opposite (travel lodge) which might I add is on the front side of the hotel was unbearable and there is also a working mens club pumping music out until the early hours so if you want a good sleep in a quiet location you will struggle.
I fully understand it is in a city so can forgo the noise complaint but my complaints would not end there.

NO ROOM SERVICE OR RESTAURANT ON A WEEKEND? WHY? This I did not understand whatsoever, nothing better than a snack or meal in bed when you've walked round York all day but for some reason the hotel don't have this option, BAFFLING.

The staff are very accomodating but the problem is probably down to the location of the hotel and some of the decision making in terms of the restaurant and of course the lift being out of use.

I wouldn't say dont stay here but I don't think I will be returning any time soon.

Room Tip: Top floor or nothing
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Hotel53YorkCentre, Front Office Manager at Hotel 53, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read that you found your room spacious and lovely and that you enjoyed your king bed upgrade! We do receive many great comments about our bathrooms with our walk in power showers and high quality towels and free toiletries! I am also happy to read that you found our staff accommodating; we regularly receive great comments about our staff that all contribute to our great team.

On your day of arrival our lift did temporarily become out of order. Unfortunately, even with routine servicing and checks, technology and machinery such as lifts can have maintenance problems. Some problems can be fixed immediately by staff in house, however more specialist problems require contractors and may take longer to fix. As soon as the problem occurred, we logged a call with our lift engineer who arrived and fixed the lift in a matter of a few hours. During the time that the lift was out of order, many members of staff were available to help with luggage and had you mentioned your concern of climbing 4 flights of stairs at the time, we could have organised moving your room to a lower floor.

I refute your claims that noise on Saturday night was ‘unbearable’. As a city centre hotel a level of city centre noise has to be expected, this particular Saturday was a races weekend and also the first England match of the world cup so the general public may have been more excitable than normal, however I do not believe that this would be unbearable as you claim. If you did not want your window open, we could have provided a fan to cool your room down, these can be requested by calling reception.

Our restaurant is not open on a Saturday or Sunday evening and this is clearly mentioned on our website and all of the websites that we work with. York is a beautiful city full of great restaurants and pubs, many of which are no more than a 5 minute walk from the hotel, of which we provide a list of personal recommendations at reception. We also have a selection of take-away menus available if you do not wish to leave the hotel.