“Book Haven”

Ranked #24 of 69 Shopping in York
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed October 1, 2016

I love this little Waterstones. Almost missed it as I was looking for the classic black and white facade (this one has a pale green front). It carries the usual selection of new, bestsellers, fiction and non-fiction. What makes it are the staff - friendly and knowledgeable (I've yet to find a Waterstones where the staff are NOT passionate about books). If you can't find what you're looking for, just ask. Or if you want a recommendation for a friend or children's books, just ask. Unlike online shopping, you can touch the books and have a good look inside. Plus there's a nice little cafe as well. Coffee, book and cake. Mmm.

1  Thank chestervoyager
All reviews
"book shop"
"browsing"
"gifts"
"yorkshire"
"display"

Reviewed August 17, 2016

Waterstones York is exactly what a bookshop should be - warm, inviting, interesting, vibrant and staffed by experts - very knowledgeable and extremely helpful and friendly staff who make the 'book browsing and buying experience' a real delight. The cafe upstairs is simply excellent too - great food with a variety of tasty things on the menu, and fabulous coffee served by lovely people..... Bookshops just don't come better than this!

Reviewed April 4, 2016

Has been recently renovated and displays are lovely.
Only downside was that the toilet was not nice at all.

Reviewed February 25, 2016

Wow, this place is brilliant. I visit York regularly and I always make a beeline for this store. Service is always spot-on. The staff are knowledgeable and friendly; great selection of books; the kid's section is probably the best I've ever seen; very nice cafe; a full and interesting events programme. The best shop in York!

1  Thank Jack B
See more reviews
Reviewed February 4, 2016

My little boy absolutely loves this shop (he's 5) and I have to say the move to the new site was a shrewd one. At least the childrens section is at last accessible for parents with a buggy! We spend hours in here whenever we visit York (at least once a month) and I never tire of it. I could (and do) lose hours of my life in here.....There is an indoor climbing frame/slide for smaller shoppers, tables and chairs for them to sit and browse, colour, read - and the childrens area is tucked away at the back of the shop so that they don't "upset" other customers who don't like children. It has the largest range of children's books you will find anywhere and a good selection of lego and games too. It has the added bonus of toilets and lovely café on the first floor, and this has been very child friendly in our experience. The staff are helpful and obviously passionate about books - I've had some interesting recommendations from them and tried new genres I wouldn't necessarily have read. A really great shop, and I echo the sentiments of another reviewer - this is one of the best (but the Truro branch is also great for kids!).

1  Thank Abi C