“Love the real fires!”

Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Family-friendly pub with little rooms dotted about and a lovely courtyard! Food pub grub but very nice and didn't wait too long at all. Worth another visit.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

We were undecided where to eat, as we know York well. We stumbled on The Olde Starre Inn, via a small alleyway opposite the York Armoury. At first it seems a little dark, but when we went inside it was warm, inviting, with lots of available places to sit and eat. The service was very good. The food was very good ( try the scotch eggs - wonderful). All in all I would recommend this pub. I love the open fire, very welcoming. Also, many thanks to Sonia ( I promised I would give a mention, as she was excellent during hostess, and made our visit really enjoyable.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Stopped in the pub on Valentine's day whilst exploring York, looking for an "olde World" experience for lunch. From the outside we were promised the oldest pub in York etc and it looked great. However upon entering it was more like any old Wetherspoons / chain pub with tv's and generic pub grub menu's. Lacking in character. The food however was fabulous and reasonably priced. Would definitely go back based on the food. Best fish finger sandwich I've ever had!

Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

well for a start we didnt have food so I cant comment on that, but we stayed for a few drinks & it had a lovely atmosphere & was very cosy. The staff seemed friendly also.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

We visited the Starre, an old haunt of years gone by, intending to have lunch but, due to the extremely poor service from bar staff, decided to move on and eat elsewhere. We got to the bar and I ordered half a bitter for my husband and half a cider for me. The barman was more interested in a conversation he was having further along the bar and presented my with a pint of bitter. I told him of his mistake but my husband said he would have the pint anyway, then he started pouring me a pint of cider before I had to remind him again that I had asked for a half. When I paid for the drinks it seemed a bit expensive so I went back to the bar and queried the cost... turned out he had charged me for two pints! I was refunded the overcharge but was now a bit fed up - not least with the barman's insistence on calling me 'flower' all the time. I am in my forties and he was about my son's age - not a big thing but it added irritation to an annoying situation and maybe he needs to rethink his customer service when dealing with women of a certain age!

3  Thank Campesque