“A perfect Sunday lunch”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #288 of 869 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: French, European, British
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
York, UK
“A perfect Sunday lunch”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

What a lovely way to spend a bank holiday Sunday afternoon having lunch in a very pleasant hotel especially when it was raining heavily outside. When we arrived we were met by very friendly staff who showed us to our table. Immediately I felt welcomed and the ambience was very pleasant and the service good. The staff attended to your every need and explained the dish of the day and answered any questions very professionally. The menu and wine list had plenty of choice to suit everyone - the house red wine is recommended! The Sunday lunch was a 5 course meal and all the dishes were beautifully presented and all the food was hot and very tasty. There was no rush and when asked for a break between the main course and desert there was no problem. It was a perfect leisurely meal - the perfect finish was having a drink in the conservatory area which was really comfortable, with plenty of light and very relaxing. I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending having Sunday lunch at this hotel to any of my friends or family. Thank you for a lovely afternoon. Julie& Alf (York)

• Visited May 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Lunch and Dinner both enjoyed”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Staying at the hotel, we ate in the Bistro. We enjoyed both lunch and dinner, particularly a sole dish with a delicious sauce. There is an enormous wine list with a wide range of prices to suit most budgets.

Hamilton, Scotland
“Acceptable but below average for the price!”
Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

I ate here on the spur of the moment as I fancied a good bottle of wine (unfortunately the person covering for the sommelier that evening, who couldn't surely be the sommelier, was lacking in wine knowledge, referring to an Oregon wine I was interested in as coming from California!). My basic mushroom started was perfectly lovely but my boeuf Bourginon was dried out and the lardons were so very over cooked that I had to complain (believe me, I very rarely do) because they were inedible. At £110 for two courses with a lovely (mid-priced wine), I expected better.

On the plus side, service was very good and, as a lone finer, I was offered a newspaper to read which wax a nice touch I'd never seen before.

Visited May 2014
Staffordshire
“Fantastic Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

This is a lovely place for afternoon tea and our second visit. We were seated under the covered courtyard area which is a very pleasant environment. The staff were welcoming and friendly and allowed us to bring our well-behaved greyhound into the hotel with us which surprised me greatly as I automatically thought that she would not be allowed entry, but she was allowed to lay down under our table whilst we took our tea. The staff could not have been more generous and accommodating. Thank you for this. The tea itself was absolutely lovely, with no shortage of sandwiches, little cakes, melt-in-the-mouth biscuits and the most fabulous homemade scones. We were made to feel very welcome and will definitely visit again the next time we are in York.

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Great Evening”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

Great menu, the lamb was excellent. The service was outstanding, we were attended by a really helpful waiter called Bobby who was knowledgeable and very attentive. Will definately be making a second visit.