“Once again an excellent meal”
Review of The Old Siam

The Old Siam
Ranked #82 of 870 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Kids, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Once again an excellent meal”
Reviewed August 13, 2014

The Orchid in Harrogate is probably the best Thai restaurant in Yorkshire for food and whilst the food here is not quite up to their level, the overall experience is every bit as good due to the oriental staff - at The Orchid I think they from Halifax and Huddersfield!
First class service, excellent food - glad we returned.

• Visited August 2014

• Polish first
York, United Kingdom
“Excellent Thai food”
Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

Great Thai food, the best you'll get anywhere, duck in tamarind sauce is out of this world. Only bad things is dodgy toilets and service is almost too fast, due to its popularity sometimes you feel rushed, but great great food

Boston, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed August 8, 2014

Recommend booking as very busy mid week. Staff greeted us at the door and showed us to our table. Staff recommended a great house Thai wine which was superb. We had a set meal for 2 which was very fresh, great tasting and more than enough for the 2 of us.

Visited August 2014
3 Thank Susan S
“Very good”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

This is a very nice restaurant, and I enjoyed my meal. I can never resist a tom yam soup, and this one was as I remember from my favourite 'greasy spoon' in Bangkok; rich, packed with flavour and right at the top of my (considerable) chili heat tolerance.
It was then perhaps a mistake to order the jungle curry (kaeng pa) because this is really too similar to the tom yam. Again, it was packed with real herbs. However, it was rather austere, and lacked balancing sweetness. Now I hate overly sweet Thai food for the British palate, but I reckon the chef simply left out the palm sugar in this dish. So next time, I'd probably go for a trusty massaman curry.
Portion size was generous; there were a few desultory carved vegetables around, but not with my dishes. Oh, and there was a portion of free kropok. My two courses and a beer came to £21.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank BiggerJ
Berwick upon Tweed, United Kingdom
“Pleasant staff & very authentic meal.”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

We were reccomended to eat here by our guest house and were very pleased with the reccomendation. Thai red curry was exceptional and the Thai sea bass mouth wateringly good.
Staff were attentive and pleasant, reccomend booking as York gets really busy at weekends.

• Visited July 2014