“Very good”

Ranked #93 of 920 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Reviewed August 5, 2014

This is a very nice restaurant, and I enjoyed my meal. I can never resist a tom yam soup, and this one was as I remember from my favourite 'greasy spoon' in Bangkok; rich, packed with flavour and right at the top of my (considerable) chili heat tolerance.
It was then perhaps a mistake to order the jungle curry (kaeng pa) because this is really too similar to the tom yam. Again, it was packed with real herbs. However, it was rather austere, and lacked balancing sweetness. Now I hate overly sweet Thai food for the British palate, but I reckon the chef simply left out the palm sugar in this dish. So next time, I'd probably go for a trusty massaman curry.
Portion size was generous; there were a few desultory carved vegetables around, but not with my dishes. Oh, and there was a portion of free kropok. My two courses and a beer came to £21.

1  Thank BiggerJ

Reviewed July 30, 2014

We were reccomended to eat here by our guest house and were very pleased with the reccomendation. Thai red curry was exceptional and the Thai sea bass mouth wateringly good.
Staff were attentive and pleasant, reccomend booking as York gets really busy at weekends.

3  Thank RosiePeter1
Reviewed July 25, 2014

Really, good food and nice atmosphere. Very close to the main night life area in York. Toilets had strange decor, but were clean.

1  Thank R0bSh
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I was in York for a short break and had seen the reviews for this restaurant and having eaten Thai in London thought I would give this a try. The staff were amazingly friendly and courteous and couldn't do enough to help you. I had the chicken satay for starters just the right amount of spice and the chicken was juicy and very tasty, My partner forgo the starters and had the Thai Yellow Curry with coconut rice which she said was the best curry she had eaten in ages the levels of spice for her were perfectly balanced and she really enjoyed it. Me being a bit braver went for the classic Thai Red Curry and boy it didn't disappoint in any way!!!! full of flavour and a kick like a mule as an afterburn, presentation was great and good sized portions. The only downside was with it being a chilly January evening my partner said it was a little cold in the restaurant although i found it to be ok perhaps she should have gone for the Thai Red Curry maybe that would have warmed her up. All round very good and will certainly be going back next time i am in York

1  Thank 88ChrisG
Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

The food was absolutely amazing! The chicken massaman curry was just like being in Thailand!
Good service, friendly staff.
Very reasonably priced!
Looking forward to a return visit! xx