“Great experience”

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Having read some of the latest reviews of this Indian, my husband and I both share the same option that it has not been rated fairly! Coming from Switzerland and not having the regular pleasure of a very good curry we were thoroughly satisfied with the food and service while at the restaurant last week. We took a spontaneous visit to York en route to see my father and decided to try the restaurant on the recommendation of the hotel concierge! We were not disappointed I have to say, although full, we were seated within thirty minutes of arriving. A handful of petals, a very good chianti and poppodoms to boot was the start of a lovely meal...
We would recommend this Indian if you want to try somewhere a little bit trendier than the usual place, low lighting with great service, buzzy ambience and a birthday tune thrown in..book it and enjoy! By the way, choose the lamb balti, it was delicious....

There are newer reviews for Akbars

Reviewed May 30, 2013

service is first class Been several times and the food is always spot-on highly recommend this restaurant best Indian in York

Reviewed May 30, 2013

nice welcome when we arived me @ a friend
food was fresh and tasted delicious had chicken tikka masala was nice @ not too spicy /vindaloo was good too just the way it should be great cousine
staff frendly
and prices cheap.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I can't believe this is ranked higher than The Indian Lounge, which turns out far better food and gives far better service in a much nicer atmosphere!

I found the dark black and red interior offputting from the start, as well as the roughish location at night and the parking-lot-sized restaurant. We were served by a bored and inattentive waiter, then by several other bored and inattentive waiters - it was irritating not sticking to the same person. I ordered the chicken tikka, a starter, but asked for it as a main - they said that they could only bring me two starters, which was very annoying. The tikka was far too spicey - burning hot! which is unusual for tikka - and not a patch on The Indian Lounge's. Their naan bread is very large, good value and tasty but it is not enough to compel me to return. At the end of the meal (after they'd finally removed our plates) we asked to pay separately and the waiters didn't seem to grasp that this is a common customer request and easy to do, since we had asked to have separate orders whilst doing it together as a table so the food came together. They also lacked the common sense to bring everyone's food while one friend was still eating her starter - they said they were waiting for her to finish when we were all starving after 30-45 mins of waiting.

The food and service just did not cut it. Not worth the money in the slightest. I'll stick to The Indian Lounge instead.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

It was my friend's birthday and I am thankful that she has picked this restaurant for a meal!
The design is unique and the idea of putting a transparent glass between the dining hall and the kitchen is always welcomed - it is nice to see how cooks prepare the meal for you. Dim lights create a very pleasurable atmosphere. Waiters are friendly and attentive. The food was delicious, I especially loved my King Prawn Special - the sauce was amazing! I work in a restaurant myself, and it was really great to observe high class performance of waiters as well as the organized work of cooks in the kitchen. I am definitely coming back!
If you have a passion for Indian food and want to get good service - this is the right place for you.