“Excellent lunch !”
Review of La Vecchia Scuola

La Vecchia Scuola
Reserve with OpenTable
La Vecchia Scuola is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 909 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: La Vecchia Scuola is a unique dining experience that can be found in Low Petergate, York very close to the Minster. An amazing restaurant set in a 300 year old Georgian building that was once York college for girls. This restaurant is now operated by new owners from February 2013. It has an innovative new menu with all food sourced locally and prepared for customer onsite.
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Great value for lovely lunch . Very impressive building with nice atmosphere and attentive staff.
We will definitely be back .

1  Thank mark7557

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Table ready when we arrived, piano background music and crowd made for a good atmosphere, service was good.

1  Thank 2NeilF
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

I am writing this just a few hours after eating at La Vecchia Scuola. Mine and my family's experience here was not pleasant and definitely in neex of improvement.

From the outside the atmosphere and the food look like they are going to be good. Oh no.

We were shown to our table by a dark haired waiter. We did not like the table given to us and asked if we could be moved. The waiter took us to another table. A very surly manager then signalled to the waiter to put us back where we were. My dad, unimpressed, shook his head, which resulted in a tut and a sigh from the manager. It is this man's behaviour that causes stressed staff and an overall unpleasant experience for customers.

The waiter that took our food order was an Italian man who seemed to struggle with his English. He did not seem to understand what we were trying to order. My 6 year old sister just wanted macaroni cheese. There is no specific children's menu so it took us another 3 minutes after the waiter came to find something appropriate... plain pasta.

That point takes us swiftly onto the next. My sister (who ordered plain pasta) recieved around 15 pieces of penne pasta. This goes without saying that it is truly unacceptable. I had spaghetti bolognese and my parents both had different salads. Overall, the food was fine.

The atmosphere of the place was nothing like it has been in the past. The manager's kids were running about all over the place and he seemed to be paying far more attention to them than to his staff or customers.

Our meals were reasonable at £6.95, apart from my little sister's meal (15 pieces of penne pasta).

I do not normally like to give places ratings of less than 3 stars if I don't have to but all of us had complaints when we got back.

If the service were to improve, I would return here. Until then, perhaps not my friend.

1  Thank Manomanom
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Worst experience me and my partner have ever had at dining out.to start the chairs were worn to the point we thought we could actually go through them so my partner changed his.the staff were acting like children shouting across the the dinning area which was very off putting then we received our meals what was very poor but then to find a hair which turned my stomach.i then complained to which we were created by very angry looking chefs to which we decided to leave finally we had the happy(not)front off house to take our billwho grabbed our card did not acknowledged us..totally disgraceful...

2  Thank beany2223
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We were taken here as guests of friends and enjoyed it hugely. Obviously an interesting building, I wish I had had more time to explore. Great service with just one glitch, when three starters out of seven were incorrect, No great drama - but it's always a bit embarrassing if some have to wait whilst others eat.

1  Thank jayartibee