“One of the best!”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 1, 2014

For starters, she had the mixed olives while I had the prosciutto with caramelised peach with rocket salad. Another reviewer described the peaches as "tinned", I think marinated is more likely, certainly they were delicious and did not taste tinned. Both starters very enjoyable.

Then she had the baked king prawns with fusilli, an unusual choice for somebody who doesn't even like pasta, but she liked this, the huge prawns and the imaginative sauce including peppers and spinach. My Moroccan lamb stew with couscous (from the set menu) was a revelation, delicately flavoured: chunks of lamb in their sauce surrounding a small, fragrant scoop of couscous.

Despite starting to feel full, we wanted dessert and went for the chocolate truffle torte and the raspberry and white chocolate cheesecake. Both of these were somehow rich and light at the same time, and very flavourful, the chocolate especially.

All servings were of modest size, as befits a restaurant rather than a pub, excepting the olives: two people could easily share this starter. Service was impeccable. And all with a view of Clifford's Tower!

Tempted to give 5 stars, but I'm choosy about those. Let's call it 4+.

1  Thank Lawrence P

Reviewed August 31, 2014

Great set menu. The Moroccan lamb was delicious! Friendly staff and something for all the family so the Kids are always more than happy to eat here. Visit here whenever we go to York and it has a view out to Cliffords Tower.

Reviewed August 28, 2014

Scallops cooked to perfection, tasty, interesting food, very high quality, gorgeous garlic bread, huge fresh king prawns in my pasta. Lovely, friendly staff who could not do enough for us. It was shear luck that we stumbled on this place, we just got off the park & ride bus starving & it was one of the first resturants we came across, both myself & my Dad said it was worth driving the 130 mile round trip just to eat at the Olive Tree, that is how good it was. Great work guys, we will be back :)

Reviewed August 28, 2014

Just returned from a short family trip to York and chose this restaurant on the spur of the moment based on extensive menu choices. There was an excellent offer available giving two courses for £14.95. There were several choices of starter and main course available with something to suit all tastes.

The food was very good quality and well cooked - well worth every penny. The staff were friendly and welcoming and we did not feel rushed, having enough of a gap between courses to aid digestion. We would definitely recommend this restaurant and will visit again next time we are in York

Reviewed August 28, 2014

We came here one night for dinner, and I wasn't very excited about going, but we ordered some garlic pizza bread, and it was really nice. There was also bread and butter out on the table. There were 14 of us so it ran out quickly, but there were a lot of us. For the main, all of us enjoyed our food, and my fussy brother gave the chips 10/10. I got good feedback about dessert from my cousin, but I forgot to order! The only problems would be the lack of a children menu and small number of tables.

1  Thank GeorgeS1232302