“Good stylish spacious rooms”
Review of Hotel du Vin York

Hotel du Vin York
Ranked #17 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed September 6, 2009

Large-ish room with comfy bed and good sized bathroom. Modern and minimal but comfortable so everything you would expect from this standard of hotel. Limited parking but reception were very helpful creating a space for us. It's about a 10 minute walk into the city centre.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel du Vin York

Reviewed September 2, 2009

We found out as we arrived that it was the week of York Races and feared the worst!

However, the activities of the racing crowd did not impinge on us at all.

The hotel is a short walk from the walls of the City. It is a lovely building, beautifully refurbished and fitted out.

The food and,of course, the wines were excellent.

Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2009

I felt compelled to write this review after reading some previous reviews which do not shed a very good light on the hotel, in particular the Bistro. My husband and I spent last weekend at the hotel, and had a wonderful meal in the Bistro on Sunday evening. The staff are absolutely faultless, we stay in nice hotels as treats throughout the year; all I can say is that I have already booked to revisit the Hotel Du Vin in York twice before this Xmas! The food in the Bistro was fantastic, in particular my husband said his steak was perfect, they even made a fresh sauce for him as he didn't want the choice from the menu. The staff throughout the hotel including the Bistro were so attentive and appeared very genuinely concerned that we enjoyed our stay. We have stayed at The Lowry in Manchester and various Malmaisons in the UK, but the HDV York definately has more to offer. The room was lovely, very sumptuously decorated and the hotel itself being in a listed building had a very unique charm and character you wouldn't find in the rival characterless Hilton hotels. We have actually stayed at the Hilton York, although this is more central, the quality of the room, restaurant and service does not even compare. And to say the Hilton is usually more expensive? So impressed were we with the Hotel Du Vin we will be revisiting in October and November, and I am trying to arrange a Spa break for my sister for her birthday in October, hopefully with the Hotel Du Vin Harrogate. If there ever were any supposed problems with the service in York, have no fear because there are no longer. I booked the hotel before reading the reviews and must say I was slightly concerned. However, I am so glad I decided to judge the hotel for myself because not only did we have a wonderful weekend, my husband and I have also found a new romantic retreat.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2009

Booked a night at The Hotel Du Vin York for a special birthday treat for my mum. Had noticed on the website that they had a graeat deal on for Sunday nights '£10 Sunday Supplement'. If you spent £75 in the Bistro you could have your room for £10! Booked it about 3 months in advance so not to miss out. When we arrived at the Hotel the room was unfortunately not ready but we were an hour and a half early, so got a drink in the bar and sat on their big sofas, checked in at 3pm and the room was still not ready.....but they got us complimentary drinks from the bar and apologised, luckily they came back about 25 minutes later and took us to our room. This deal was fantastic, the room was obviously not a suite but the facilities were great, comfy beds, lovely Egyptian cotton bed sheets, lots of comfy pillows, large flat screen TV with DVD, mini bar....very pricey but still fun to have! The bathroom was modern with a large shower head that was great and a big deep bath! Anything you needed was in the room, Iron, Ironing board etc. We had a 3 course meal in the Bistro witha bottle of Pinot Grigio, the food was fantastic could not fault it....the Bistro was quite busy for a sunday but the service was faultless, food was delicious didnt have to wait long at all between courses, staff were great!

Would definitely go again....hope to very soon! Would recommend to anyone of any age for a nice break with your mum, best friend or partner!

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed August 10, 2009

I had used this hotel for business meetings several times, but then a too good to miss offer popped up in my inbox and a girlie weekend was booked.
I cannot fault the hotel and we were upgraded to a 2 floor suite. The rooms are very contemporary with a fantastic bathroom on the first floor. A huge separate showere and a slipper bath overlooking the balcony!
I have eaten here several times and have always been very pleased with the food. It is not haute cuisine but very good quality bistro food, with an exceptional winelist. Prices to suit all tastes!
Breakfast is also excellent and cooked to order
If you are staying in York and want to be within walking distance of all the sites and like luxurious touches, then I can definitely recommend Hotel du Vin

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank lisasplaces
Reviewed July 5, 2009

We had a lovely couple of nights here.
The room was very clean, with no dirt to be found anywhere.
We did feel that the lighting in the room was poor but we couldn't fault anything else with the room.
The hotels bistro offered delicious food. We did wait a long time for it though - with waiting times as long as 40 minutes between meals.
The reception staff were friendly and helpful but the reception area was clearly understaffed with long waiting periods.
One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2009

Stayed here for one night last Sunday on a package which included room, dinner for two including wine and coffee and breakfast.

Room was small but very nice - however there is a £10 charge per day for parking in their private car park.

We had a meal in the Bistro as part of the package and the service was not good at all, we were not offered bread with our soup and when we requested it we were warned that it would cost us £2.50 each. That's £5 for half a baguette. There was no spoon on the table for my soup and after the meal our coffees arrived with no cups and the waitress went around spare tables collecting cups for us to use.

The meal was ok but nothing special and when we checked out we had been charged £15.50 for the wine which should have been included and £8.30 for some unspecified food item - when we complained both were deducted from the bill but there was no apology.

Breakfast was very good though - if I went again I wouldn't eat in the Bistro, there were better places to eat within walking distance.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple