“Fantastic hotel”
Review of Hotel du Vin York

Hotel du Vin York
Ranked #17 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Stayed for two nights. Rooms very nice, a bit on the smallish side but very well appointed. Nice grounds and public areas throughout the hotel. We ate in the restaurant the evening we arrived. Decent menu, with food tasty and well presented. Breakfast was first class. Excellent selection of cocktails, several of which were sampled over the weekend. More than anything the experience was made by the staff who were consistently helpful, welcoming and professional. Overall good value... fairly expensive but a great stay. We'll definitely return.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hotel du Vin York

Reviewed February 9, 2014

We had dinner in the Du Vin Bistro after a great sunday lunch a fews ago. The welcome we got was fantastic, so much so that we came back for a second night and i have decided to write my first restaurant review... Nothing was too much trouble, the waiters looked after my small child, offered toys and a childrens menu. The wine man certainly knew his stuff! the food was of good standard, presented in a nice way and served with a friendly smile. Upon leaving we were met by the Manager, Matt whom thanked us for our return visit using our names and helped us with our pushchair to the taxi he had arranged. Neadless to say when we arrived at our hotel we struggled without any help....my husband even said why didnt we stay at the Du Vin. Thank you Matt and your wonderfull team, you made our weekend.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank T g
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Enjoyed a lovely meal with my husband in the courtyard area of the hotel. The cocktails are superb (especially their Whisky sours). We were served by a lovely waiter called Roy, he really made us feel comfortable and relaxed. The fixed meal for two courses was reasonably priced and very tasty! I am biased when we are talking about location as we live close by but if you're a tourist wanting to stay in York you can't pick a lovelier area. An all round lovely evening.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Was looking forward to this for a while, was quite let down with the reality.
Overpriced, rooms need a redecoration and soft furnishings look knackered.
Reception staff were nice and helpful. Extras are not just in the mini bar, be warned, crisps, and chocolate strategically placed as "freebies" around the room are not!
Couldn't face the expensive breakfast as wanted to get home!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Steven H, General Manager at Hotel du Vin York, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your constructive review of Hotel du Vin York. It was of disappointing to learn that we did not live up to expectations. I would relish the opportunity to discuss your experience first hand as I do find your comments regarding the bedroom quality surprising. Please feel free to contact me personally at the hotel in order to discuss further.

Kindest Regards

Steven Hodgkinson

Reviewed January 28, 2014

I have decided that after my latest experience of Hotel Du Vin I will not be staying again.

My GF treated us to a two-night break at the Hotel du Vin over New Year.

The actual hotel is what you expect from the chain; they are pretty much all the same look and feel abliet in individual and generally interesting buildings.

First let me say that on the whole the staff were excellent.... they were really polite and engaging and always trying to help. However one member of staff working on the bar was rude and sarcastic; who does he think is paying his wages?

The restaurant was chaos every morning (we stayed for 2 nights) at breakfast. I cannot blame the staff for this as they were by the looks of it understaffed (and imagine the kitchen was too). The reception staff had to come in to lend a hand (which bless them they did but it is not what they are trained to do). At no point did we see anyone from the Management Team helping out the waiters - VERY poor show.

Room Tip: Stay in the original building
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your recent review of Hotel du Vin York relating to your December stay with us. Although I was pleased to read that elements of your stay were great it was very disappointing to hear you would not be returning in the near future. I would like to offer my contact details to you and should this ever change please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel directly.

Kindest Regards,

Steven Hodgkinson

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Myself and my husband recently spent a Sunday night in a superior room (Hartenger I believe it was called) to celebrate my birthday and it was just lovely.

The room itself was as pictured on the website; huge bed, freestanding bath in the bedroom, tasteful décor. The room faced the back so was extremely quiet and no daylight leaked through the blinds and curtains so allowed for an undisturbed sleep and lay in! The monsoon shower was brilliant and the bathroom features some lovely Miller Harris smellies.

Location wise the hotel is in a great spot, especially if you’re travelling by train as we did. Under a 5 minute walk from the station and about 10 minutes into the centre of York.

We sampled the Sunday brunch which is great value at £22.95 for 4 courses. The highlight of this was definitely the French market table where you can choose as much as you like from a delicious selection of seafood, charcuterie, salads, breads etc. It was very difficult not getting carried away and filling up with this! The breakfast the day next day was just ok but nothing to complain about.

We both really enjoyed staying here and as much as the communal areas and bedroom are wonderful, the biggest praise has to be for the service. All the staff we met were friendly and helpful and genuinely seemed to want guests to have the best time possible. A prime example of this is when we checked in and the receptionist enquired if we had plans whilst in York and my husband mentioned it was my birthday. By the time we’d walked from reception to the dining room, this information had been entered into their computer system as the maître d’ wished me a Happy Birthday as we entered the room. It’s little touches like this that make all the difference and would encourage me to recommend this hotel to any couple wanting a romantic break in this beautiful city.

We look forward to hopefully staying again soon!

Room Tip: Worth paying extra for a superior room with a free standing bath in the bedroom
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2014

We stayed here for a night whilst on a Christmas shopping trip to the beautiful city of York.

The hotel is stylish and well appointed and the building is tastefully decorated and our two storey room was pretty unique.

We stayed on a dinner, bed and breakfast rate which was good value and we were made to feel welcome by all the staff we encountered.

So whilst there was nothing wrong at all with our stay, there just wasn't any real wow-factor, nothing that lingers in the memory as I come review it over two months later! Good not great, nice not amazing.

Would we stay again? Yes, probably.

Could there be better in this city? Well, I think when we visit again, we'd look at staying elsewhere to find out.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple