“Wonderful hotel”

Ranked #17 of 45 Hotels in York
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Wonderful hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

I visited the hotel at the beginning of September with my mother for 2 nights . Having had a poor experience in another hotel in York , this could not have been more different , from the greeting in reception on arrival to the bar staff , the hotel has a contemporary feel set in a old workhouse oozing character often lacking in many run of the mill hotels . Our standard twin room was of a high standard fabulous shower huge bath fresh milk in the fridge and a free newspaper left outside our door in the morning , breakfast was lovely . On our second night we ate in the restaurant which has a cosy atmosphere the staff where very attentive and the food was of a good standard and the wine recommendation was perfect off the extensive wine menu . My only complaint was that the tv was too low to see all of the screen when in bed I passed this on to the reception , they were please with feed back and told me that the tv was new last week and that they would get someone to have a look at it . I would recommend the hotel to anyone wanting to feel like a welcomed individual !

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank linda b

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night, and moved here directly on from the hotel Du Vin in Harrogate. As part of the same group both hotels obviously had a similar style and feel, but this hotel was much better managed than the Harrogate hotel. If anything staying here emphasised just how bad the Harrogate hotel was. Te bar here was better managed but particularly the restaurant here was far superior. The food was much better cooked and presented and the service was like chalk and cheese. Our meal here was a pleasure and it just made us appreciate how poor Harrogate had been. This hotel is in a excellent position, about a 5 minute walk to the city walls. There is an excellent (free) car park unlike Harrogate which cost a tenner! As I mentioned the staff here are well managed and seem to appreciate that service is key to a good experience. Also the breakfast here was really good and well served unlike Harrogate, where they seemed to be unable to cope. When you consider this is a group and both hotels are so close you would expect a similar experience. The group management need to g get a grip and sort it out! Anyway I would recommend the Hotel Du Vin York. Stay in York and visit Harrogate, if you had the opportunity you would live in Harrogate and vist York! But as a visitor I would do the opposite. By the way York was great! Ver clean, very interesting and the people were really friendly. Although it did get a bit lairy later around 6pm when the stag and hen crowd started to let rip. there were lots of police and door men around, but generally the city is fantastic, everyone should visit.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Tideswell, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

My boyfriend booked this hotel as a surprise for my birthday, absolutely luved the spa facilities, could have stayed there all day. Nice clean rooms and the bed was very comfy. Very well apointed for York. The only down side was the carpark fee which I would have thought would have come free with the cost of the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

Everytime I visit York, I always leave a piece of my heart there. Such a beautiful city! I've stayed in many hotels over the years, but wanted to try something different this time. And in all honesty, the idea of a freestanding roll top bath sold it to me!
We booked a superior room with dinner, and it couldn't be faulted. Bright, clean and spacious. And the bathroom, WOW! Monsoon shower, under floor heating and of course, the bath. Tea and coffee facilities were a nice touch.
Dinner was superb, the Chateaubriand was perfectly cooked to our liking and impressed my partner who is an avid steak fan. The bar area and Cigar Shack were the perfect places to retire with a glass of wine (or several as the case may be!). My only slight grumble was that the bar prices were rather expensive, but not extortionate.
Owen, the young man on reception, was brilliant from check in to check out. Working in hospitality myself, I appreciate a helpful smiling face when I'm on the other side of the desk!
Travelled via train, only around 10 mins from the station and 15 mins from the centre.

Fabulous stay, we will be back!

1 Thank FidgetGem87
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

Initially stayed here for work, but then returned for a Christmas Weekend with my boyfriend.
The atmosphere is cosy, the food obviously delicious, the wine list extensive, but the most touching is the service.

My boyfriend booked the hotel as a treat so I contacted the hotel separately asking to put champagne in the room with a selection of chocolates - they took up the challenge going that extra mile to make sure it was a surprise, and that I could pay for it separately in advance. (they even trekked around town looking for our chocolate favourites to add to the experience.) Not enough of this attitude left in the world. Thank you!

Room Tip: I loved my room in the new building with my bathroom on the mezanine, but the room in the old buildi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Stockton-on-Tees
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

Having had great experiences at Hotel du Vin in Harrogate, we opted to use the York venue for a stay over after a friends wedding.
We stayed in the Veuve Cliquot suite, which I must say was fantastic. Very well apointed huge room with a bathroom I could only dream of having at home.
If Hotel du Vin had spa facilities to accompany their stylish hotels, I would never look at an alternative!!!

Room Tip: See if you can get a complimentary upgrade to a suite! If not, just pay the extra!!! Its well worth...
1 Thank ThePriestleys
bolton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

Very nice place - 15 mins walk to city centre, clean and nice rooms and bar areas, Staff need to be more tentative! Pouring down and they couldn't lend me a brolly! One issue is the car parking fee, whilst being no scrooge £10 a day is bordering on day light robbery considering the hotel car park is so large - so i don't see the limited parking being an excuse!!!