“Lovely hotel!”
Review of Hotel du Vin York

Hotel du Vin York
Ranked #17 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Lovely hotel in a good location - 15/20 min walk from town.
Large rooms (stayed in superior double) and luxurious bed which had clean sheets and comfy duvet and pillows.
Clean towels and dressing gowns available and good facilities in the room and bathroom (shower gel / cotton pads etc).

Downside - car park is £10, no idea why this can't be included in the hotel stay. TV should be mounted on the wall so you can view it at ease when you're in bed.
Breakfast price appeared costly at £14 per person so can't comment on the food, but nice to have a bar and restaurant downstairs

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,569)

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I've stayed at many of the Hotel du Vin hotels over the last few years and have always found them to be comfortable, stylish and welcoming. I like the fact that it's a reliable brand with the same good standards of quality and service whichever of the hotels you choose - please don't change a thing! We stayed at the York hotel last week and had possibly our best experience yet. We'd booked the Veuve Cliquot suite as we were there with our children and the suite itself was huge, comfortable and felt very luxurious. We had dinner there that night and couldn't fault both the service or the food, which was great. Breakfast the following morning was delicious too. The building was lovely, beautifully renovated and in a great location to explore the city. In fact this might be my favourite Hotel du Vin yet! Highly recommended!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed here for two nights for a romantic break from the kids! We just had a standard room. But nicely furnished out. The shower was fab very powerful. Towels soft and nice dressing gowns. The bathrooms was starting to look a little shabby in decor though, and the loo brush fell apart! Dirt around corners. Slightly hidden by the dark decor of the rooms. But the bed was comfy and clean bedding. Lots of complimentary tea and coffee available. We didnt eat at the hotel so cannot comment on the food.
Its a great location to walk into town. The only downside was parking at the hotel. We got a spot ok for the car but the charge of £10 a day I think is excessive when the hotel room is so much as well. But would stay again and recommend.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We visited the Du Vin Hotel York almost a year ago and absolutely loved it. So much so that we couldn't wait to return. However, things have changed significantly and not for the better.

Firstly there doesn't appear to be enough staff. We were forever having to track down a staff member to serve us at the bar or to seat us in the restaurant. It was most frustrating having to loiter around waiting for what used to be a quite attententive service.
The reception staff didn't seem to know what they were doing. I was left with the impression that they were new or still in training.

As much as I appreciate that check in is from 3pm, it was a little disappointing after a five hour drive from London to find that a room wasn't available at 1pm. Nevertheless we left our baggage and went for a walk around the City. The hotel is very well located for this.

Upon our return we were allocated our room which was in a large annexe to the main hotel. The receptionist didn't seem to know what floor the room was on and had to look it up. The room itself was stiflingly hot and the air conditioning took an age to kick in. We couldn't leave it on at night as it was quite loud and we couldn't open any windows as the room was right on the main road. This left us both feeling rather sick by the morning.

Compared to previous visits our room was really small and pokey. There was hardly enough room for our luggage and we were tripping over ourselves when trying to negotiate around. The bathroom was really small and it was difficult to get into and out of the shower. I also thought that the bathroom was quite grubby. The bed was comfy despite being small and all the linen was clean and fresh. This was by far and away the worst room we have ever had at a Du Vin and I think we have visited them all now.

Breakfast was quite good but the continental selection was appalling compared to previous visits. There were no cold hams or cheeses and the pastries weren't as fresh as normal. The cooked breakfasts were as good as normal but the sausages were disgusting. We felt that the hotel was trying to cost cut with there breakfasts with poorer quality and less to offer.

On the whole we were very disappointed. Having visited most of the Du vin and Malmaision hotels we felt that standards are slipping and the hotel no longer compares favourably with others in the area. This is a shame because we used to love visiting these hotels and found the whole Du Vin concept rather unique and luxurious. If it wasn't for the fact that we have had such great experiences with these hotels in the past, we probably wouldn't want to visit again based on this occasion.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 1, 2013

A beautiful and stylish hotel. Booked by my husband and daughter for my 50th birthday. My daughter upgraded my room from the standard and we can only assume that the hotel upgraded it further as we had the luxury of staying in the Dom Perignon room which was gorgeous. I didn't want to leave the room as we were only spending the night but the surprised continued as my daughter and her boyfriend and my sister and brother in law were waiting for us when we go there. A superb weekend, we had breakfast in the Hotel which was lovely and such a wide choice then we were booked in for brunch on the sunday afternoon which was amazing. I would certainly recommend it and will stay here in the future!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank readingtrace91
Reviewed December 30, 2012

This hotel, it's restaurant, it's service is by far the best I've experienced.
I had to travels to York for work and the service was so good I stayed here most weekdays for almost 10 months. I tried the a number of other large chain and independent hotels in York, including a 5star one up the road but this place kept me coming back.

The rooms are not a big as some hotel rooms but the beds are a great size, and the bed is really comfortable, the pillows are excellent and if your allergic to feathers they can give you synthetic ones instead (this happened to my work colleague).

The rooms and bathrooms are clean. All rooms have a lovely big bath and superb rain shower.
Good decent hairdryer and bath products !

TV with radio that has all the basic channels and more if that's what you like and there is good free wifi throughout too.

There is air conditioning that works and you can adjust temperatures easily. There are normally two phones in the rooms to help if you're working at the desk or lying in bed.

The breakfast is personalised and thoughtful as they try and remember what you like and even take orders in the Phone (helpful when you might be running late ) and dinner is always excellent. All the food is prepared to a high standard and the portions are good and the meat is sourced locally and always tastes great.

What really makes this places standout is all of the above combined with an excellent service the place offers. They make you feel at home without crossing the line.

I would highly recommend staying here for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: If you're really tall you might like to ask for a room that has a shower that's high enough...