“Burned Breakfast”

Ranked #18 of 47 Hotels in York
Athens, Greece
“Burned Breakfast”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

A otherwise excellent experience spoiled by an omelette and bacon which were black on the underside. This was my wifes experience this hotel. The chef did apologize but did not offer to cook another breakfast. As the breakfast was included in our prepaid package at this hotel there was no offer from the hotel to take trhe cost of the breakfast from our bill. However they could have offered to reduce other charges (eg Parking) to cover the cost of the ruined breakfast. This was not forthcoming and I have been unable to get any response from emails to the hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ian H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Dusseldorf, Germany
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I travel an awful lot and stay in all kinds of hotels (luxury, budget, mid range) depending on the customer I am visiting. I am normally not very fond of "designer hotels" as I find them being more about the designers ego, rather than guest comfort (looking super fancy but in the end I have no power plug for my laptop at the desk grr).

However this hotel is simply amazing. I cant say how much it impressed me, and how much I enjoyed my visit.

First the design just seems to be about you and your comfort. I was told the designer team designed it like their "dream home", and if it is true or not it certainly feels like it. Every room is different, there does not appear to have been any bulk purchases of any decoration item at all, but all very personlized. You get the feeling you stay in someone's home, and for the first time in a really long time I wanted to "discover" my room. Thought had been given to the lightning, to power plug access, to spacious bathroom facilities with space to place your own items.

Travelling as a single female on business there are some things that mean a lot to me, and one of them is to be able to sit outside and enjoy a glass of wine in the evening without being bothered by anyone. As the weather was beautiful the outside terrace was full - but the lovely staff saw me looking and within one minute they had placed an additional table for me in a comfortable "single corner". I was so grateful!

I have told all my friends about this nice group of hotels, a place where the staff is friendly and unpretentious, rooms are lovely and the designers even put in a little sense of humor (there are 10 clocks on the reception wall, all showing the same time for Glasgow, York, Birmingham etc).

The only bad thing I have to say about this visit is that I was there without my partner, because it is certainly a place to go for a romantic get away!

Room Tip: The Don Perignon Suite is just stunning.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Harrogate
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Having been here for a very disappointing afternoon tea with my family in July 2012 I did the very un-british thing of actually complaining but not expecting a response. In fact, my complaint could not have been dealt with better and as a result we all returned for afternoon tea this weekend.

It is fair to say that the two experiences were so different as to make me think I was in a different place. Both the service and the afternoon tea were fantastic and the whole experience was a delight.

Service was attentive without being intrusive. The afternoon tea, which comprised a selection of sandwiches, fresh scones (still warm from the oven and absolutely beautiful) and an assortment of cakes was excellent and very good value. The clotted cream for the scones was presented in a lovely brandy snap basket (yum!), which was a lovely touch. There was a choice of teas but coffee or juice was available if preferred. I asked if my children could share an afternoon tea between them and instead of bringing it all for me to split, they presented it already beautifully divided and on slates. We would definitely return as it was clear that the day on which we had attended previously was a one off.

I accept that there are always slip ups and problems with any business but it is how they are resolved which is a sign of good management and a well run establishment. My initial complaint could not have been handled better and as a result my husband and I have booked to return for an overnight stay for our 16th wedding anniversary in preference to Middlethorpe Hall where we would usually stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank EddyBull
Hexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Our third visit to this hotel and we are never disappointed! If you want to stay in a fabulous hotel and be made to feel very welcome, this is the hotel for you. The rooms are amazing and very well appointed - the bottle of milk in the fridge is a nice touch for proper morning tea!
York city centre is a 15 minute walk away and we would recommend The Old Siam for incredible Thai cuisine.
There are cheaper places to stay, but you definitely get value for money at the Hotel du Vin.

• Stayed September 2012
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

Great hotel, very clean and very nice rooms. I just booked a basic room that was on offer for £99, I must the room was little small but for £99 i am not complaining.

Location good, about 10 mins walk to centre with plenty of bars and reaturants along the way.

What topped it off was seeing Jenifer Ellison from brookside in the car park, still looking nice although I did not say that to my wife. Ha!

We will defo be back!

• Stayed September 2012
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We decided to treat ourselves to a couple of days and a night at York and stayed here. I thought that it was an exceptional hotel and reasonably priced. If you book online there are numerous offers to choose from. I was slightly annoyed about having to pay £10 to park but if I had realised (although reading on trip advisor they did, it does not get added until you check out, so I thought I got away with it) I would have gone to the hotel first thing instead on going into York first as it cost £13 for 5 hours so my advice leave your car at the hotel and walk into York and save money! Anyway I would stay here again and recommend it!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We booked a 2 night stay for our wedding anniversary on a dinner, bed and breakfast deal with a bottle of champagne thrown in. What a deal!!! The hotel itself is beautiful, with parking and only 10 minutes walk from the city centre. Our room was lovely with all the extras expected of a quality hotel.

The evening meal was excellent value being taken from the normal restaurant menu (not a table d'hote menu as we expected). All well cooked and service was very attentive and well informed, overall a lovely evening.

A wonderful hotel, we will return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple