“Lovely find”
Review of Georgina's Cafe - CLOSED

Georgina's Cafe
Cuisines: Cafe, British, American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Georgina's Cafe is one of York's newest and smartest tea and coffee houses. Modelled on the liner-society cafes of the 1920s and 30s Georgina's offers breakfasts, snacks, lunches and afternoon teas as well as great tea and coffee. Our cakes are becoming some of the most sought-after in the north and we also offer a range of beers and wines.
Glasgow
“Lovely find”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

We had lunch in this lovely café three times during our trip to York. The café was spotless, the food and choices were great and the staff were very friendly and provided a great service. We would definitely visit here again on any future trips to York.

London, United Kingdom
“Perfect snack”
Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

We stumbled by this place by accident just as we git a bit peckish in York. We were shown upstairs by very helpful friendly staff. The warm open sandwiches went down a treat.

Visited April 2014
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Helpful for gluten freers who want cake and sandwiches”
Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyed my experience here
Staff were very attentive and gave me a separate menu and told me what I could have and couldn't have
I had the tuna sandwich and it was the best one I have had for a while (including my own)
Food didn't take long to come out either
They offer soup, sandwiches, cakes and hot sandwiches for people who are gluten free. They offer afternoon tea as well
Reasonably priced as well.
Well worth a visit if you are stuck for lunch !

Visited April 2014
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Gluten free heaven!”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Called in for a sandwich as saw they had gluten free options. Was impressed to see that they have a full coeliac menu to choose from!
Lovely variety, for once I didn't feel like I had to miss out!
Will dedinitely be back on our next visit in May!

Lancing, United Kingdom
“Lovely afternoon tea”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We really fancied trying an afternoon tea when we were in York for the weekend, and when we saw the menu we liked the fact that there were various different options of cream tea. We both went for the 'posh' one at just under £13 each, which included tea, four different types of mini sandwich, three different types of mini cake, and a mini fruit scone with jam & cream.

The tea came a few minutes before the food, which was good, but meant that it ran out before we'd finished the food. I'm sure they would have happily topped up the teapot, but I think I would have preferred a bigger teapot to start with, as the point of going into a tea shop is usually because the diners like drinking tea!

The dainty little sandwiches were great. The bread was super-fresh, and the egg sandwich in particular was a real revelation - - I don't normally like egg sandwiches but this one was the best egg sandwich I've ever had.

Onto the cakes! The iced lemon one was OK, the chocolate brownie was fabulously gooey and rich, and the carrot cake was superb. I rate UK attractions on their carrot cake, and I would say this restaurant is in the top ten of carrot cakes I have experienced.

The scones were rather dry though, which was a shame. Having had dry scones in other restaurants in York, I have come to think that maybe it is some regional variation of scone, and that the city's tearooms are trying to go for some EU-protected-origin-foodname of the "York Scone", which is like a normal scone, but needs more jam/butter/cream on it before you can appreciate it. Either that, or it's that we tend to visit tearooms in the afternoon rather than earlier in the day, so what was probably a lovely fresh scone that morning has got a bit tired.

If there had been a more luxurious/expensive option of afternoon tea, we would have gone for that. At £13ish and including tuna sandwich I'm not sure I would describe that as "posh". If the restaurant is based on "liner-society" cafes, maybe the different options could be given different names, like the "Queen Mary", "Queen Elizabeth", etc. And then have one even posher than the current 'posh' afternoon tea, and let it include smoked salmon instead of tuna, etc? I would definitely have tried that if it had been available, because we were on holiday and looking for a treat.

Overall I would say it was the best place in the city that we have found so far to have afternoon tea (although we haven't tried Betty's yet!), and that with a few tweaks (like automatically bringing extra hot water to go with the teas, and providing fresher scones in the afternoon), this could become the best tea-place in York.

I look forward to my next visit.