“Slightly disappointing....” 3 of 5 bubbles

Georgina's Cafe
Ranked #167 of 850 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: Cafe, British, American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Georgina's Cafe is one of York's newest and smartest tea and coffee houses. Modelled on the liner-society cafes of the 1920s and 30s Georgina's offers breakfasts, snacks, lunches and afternoon teas as well as great tea and coffee. Our cakes are becoming some of the most sought-after in the north and we also offer a range of beers and wines.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Slightly disappointing....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

We were three 50 something ladies visiting York on Tuesday 6th August. After a busy day of shopping, sightseeing etc we wandered into Low Petergate in search of a lovely tea room. It was 3.45 and we asked for a table etc. We were shown to a table by the window. We asked for some of the coffee and walnut cake to be heated but told not available. We asked for one or two other items from the menu but told not available... We settled on a scone....£2.50 dried up and really not worth it. We had some tea and two cups were given to us that were not properly cleaned ....we asked for two more, the waitress searched through a stack and eventually we were given clean cups.
More people came in and asked for tea and cake and at 4 o clock were told that no more food would be served as they closed at 5. But they could have a drink. At least three more sets of customers came in and left. being told the same thing.
Our bill came to £12.05 for two teas, one hot chocolate, a scone and a slice of dried up Victoria sandwich gateau. We wont be visiting here again. A great pity because every where else we had been to the staff could not have been more helpful and polite.

• Visited August 2013

Oswestry, United Kingdom
“Great Breakfast with a lovely window seat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stopped in this quaint little restaurant for breakfast, the service matched up perfectly with the food. hubby went for big breakfast and I had scrambled egg on toast, beautiful and well priced.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank johnolovestotravel
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
“Highly Recommendable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

Excellent scones, coffee and traditional lemonade enjoyed this afternoon in comfortable, relatively relaxing surroundings. Highly recommendable with an interesting and flexible menu.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank johnandkathbiscotti
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“great value and great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

On a very busy weekend in York we revisited this café. In the past we have been treated to great food and exceptional baking. Again we had a lovely lunch-the open sandwiches are fresh and flavourful and the cakes are delicious. The waiting staff are friendly and efficient and service quick. I can't recommend this highly enough-an alternative to the commercialisation found in Bettys

Visited July 2013
1 Thank yvonne w
Felixstowe, England, United Kingdom
“Disappointing, poor knowledge of allergies”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

I chose this cafe because in the window it said it offered a gluten free menu. I explained I am also allergic to dairy, and they said they would check all ingredients. I ordered a gluten free chicken salad sandwich, which should come with basil mayonnaise and salad dressing, which I were initially assured would be OK. I was served gluten free bread and no spread, which was fine, on top of which was a reasonable sized portion of somewhat average chicken, and some uninspiring salad. But there was no mayonnaise or dressing at all, so it was rather dry and bland. It also came with crisps - after eating one, I realised they were salt and vinegar, which almost always contain gluten (barley malt vinegar). I asked and was told that they didn't have the packaging any more so couldn't tell me if they were gluten free. When they told me the brand (Pipers), I checked online and found they are gluten free, but they do contain milk! There was no apology whatsoever. I am glad I had only eaten one small crisp, the whole lot would have made me quite ill. Overall a poor effort. My friend's sandwich was also no better than one you could buy in a supermarket.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ThomasGent, General Manager at Georgina's Cafe, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
I have checked with the senior staff and we’re naturally very sorry that your visit was less than satisfactory - which was why I believe you were given a discount on the final bill. You’ll appreciate, I am sure, that double food allergies are rare and that we do not claim to have a dairy-free menu. Our staff understand the importance of checking for potential allergic content and they tried hard to meet your needs. The reason that we were unable to supply a dairy-free salad dressing to accompany the gluten-free open sandwich was because all our mayonnaises contain milk or lactose and we also use pesto which contains cheese. Our offerings are not set up to be dairy-free. We stock Piper’s Crisps because our customers almost unanimously enjoy their fresh and hand-cooked flavours. Some of Piper’s flavours (including cheese & onion and salt & vinegar) contain a small amount of lactose for flavouring but - again because we do not offer a dairy-free menu - our staff have never had cause to check prior to your visit.