“Authentic Italian” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Bari

The Bari
Ranked #349 of 850 Restaurants in York
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
York, England, United Kingdom
“Authentic Italian”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

Great service, friendly staff. It feels like Italy in here and every time I have been I have wanted to stay longer!

2 Thank Louise D

cheshire
“Basic”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

Being a fellow Italian I am usually wary of eating in Italian restaurants for fear of disappointment. The chicken livers to start, although a large portion were bland and basically tasteless, pizza was ok.. Can't comment on atmosphere really as it was practically empty as it was a Monday night.
Would I return? Maybe if I just wanted a pizza but not for a special meal out with my husband.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
“Good atmosphere but really basic food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

We ordered a calzone and a diavola pizza. Cheap products. Tastes really like a frozen pizza you could buy in most supermarkets.
Big disapointment as well for the dessert. No one is home made and doesn't taste extraordinary good...
I don't like to post such reviews but I will not get there anymore. Sad.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
“Shambolic Italian in the Shambles”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

A truly mediocre Italian experience. Went with family for dinner and wished I hadn't. Despite being almost empty the place is cramped with what are the most uncomfortable chairs I have ever sat on in a restaurant. The tables are too small and squashed together to make it even worse. The staff are sullen and tired without a spark of engagement with their customers. Our food was an exhibition in mediocrity. I had greasy frozen Calamari to start followed by a bowl of cheap and nasty dried pasta with a fatty ham sauce. My in laws love their pizzas and were sorely disappointed with the perfunctory cardboard offering they got that was a challenge for even a steak knife. The toppings were mean and dried up. A true disgrace for a family owned Italian. It is pricy too no doubt capitalising on its location. I'm happy to pay a little more for location if the food is good. This was definitely not good. We had house wine at £12 for 50 cl . It took me back to the bad old days of eating out in England. It would make excellent paint stripper I'm sure.
The place obviously survives on hapless tourists and unfortunate souls like us who struggle to find much open on a Monday night. It's not often I say I would rather have gone to Pizza Express but I think I would on this occasion... One to be avoided.

• Visited November 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
York
“Bari Italian Restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

it was basic Italian food and service, could have been better or worse. Noisy waiters but good hot food.