“Lovely food and atmosphere”

Delrio's Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 879 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Delrio's Restaurant offers home-cooked Italian food with a strong Sardinian influence in a lively environment. Enjoy candle-lit dining in this atmospheric cellar restaurant located adjacent to the historic Micklegate Bar and just a few minutes walk from York railway station.
York, United Kingdom
“Lovely food and atmosphere”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We've been to Delrio's a couple of times this year and have tried to go more, but it has been fully booked on several occasions! The food is good, there is a range of vegetarian food and a lot of the specials are fish or seafood based. We've always enjoyed the food, it has some unusual dishes - a favourite of mine is a stuffed pasta containing pear and cheese but most of the dishes are more traditional.
There are some tables set back in little alcoves, which are brilliant for a romantic meal or we've also been as a family in the back room on a busy Saturday night and there's been plenty of room.
I would recommend this restaurant, but make sure you book ahead as it's popular on a weekend!

• Visited November 2013

“Bit disappointed”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Having read the reviews was really disappointed.Ordered the 'linguine allo scoglio' (Linguine tossed with seafood, cherry tomatoes, chilli, garlic and herbs). The mussels in the dish were still in their shells, one of which was broken and my dish was full of sharp broken bits of shell which I had to keep recovering from my mouth. Dessert was 'Profiteroles al cioccolato' which again was disappointing as they looked and tasted bought in rather than home made.
Service was great though - staff all lovely and the cellar setting is nice. Unlikely to go back, which is a shame as it is clearly a popular place.

• Visited December 2013
Alsager
“Perfect authentic Italian food”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

We have eaten at this restaurant before and it is perfect for a special evening out where you want to be guaranteed good food and service in a lovely atmosphere. We are visitors to York and this is one of the best Italian restaurants we have ever eaten at. All the dishes we chose were of an exceptionally high standard and the wine was delicious. We were not rushed from our table and we will certainly be returning!

• Visited December 2013
“Superb birthday treat”
Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

We visited on the eve of my birthday using a voucher I had been given as a works bonus. I initially asked for a very late table as my boyfriend was travelling late but I then changed it to peak time. None of this was too much trouble and after a drink at the bar we were seated at a lovely alcove table.
We ordered an bottle of red we were unfamiliar with which the menu describes as a "neglected variety". The Carmenère Reserve was a delightful!!! Highly recommend.

The food was delicious... I had a the crab and clam spaghetti special but as a starter which was again no trouble to change followed by one of the best fillet steaks I've ever had. A real melt in the mouth, perfectly rested and beautifully cooked. My boyfriend had the same but scallops to start.
And the creme brûlée was the perfect end!!

An exceptional evening

Visited November 2013
Leeds
“Superb authentic Italian food! ”
Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

What a lovely quirky Italian restaurant! So handy for our hotel and across the road from the train station. Good value for money. Blink and you would miss the front door; down some steps and to our pleasant surprise a lovely warm welcome awaited.The decor was just like being in Italy, the delicious garlic smells, the buzz and wow, the food! The best pasta I have tasted and the choice of a 'mini meal' for my 11 year old.This is not like a bland 'chain restaurant experience' this was a taste of Italy- (We even got Italian lessons, plus a kiss on both cheeks when we left) We'll be back! Bellisimo! (think that's right ;-) )