“Warm, welcoming, and a good feast”

Delrio's Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 929 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Delrio's Restaurant offers home-cooked Italian food with a strong Sardinian influence in a lively environment. Enjoy candle-lit dining in this atmospheric cellar restaurant located adjacent to the historic Micklegate Bar and just a few minutes walk from York railway station.
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Our anniversary, and the urge to push the boat out. We booked up (ask for an alcove table unless you want to be part of the lively banter in the main floor of the restaurant) and were pleased with the welcome, although the place was heaving and the extremely patient staff were obviously stretched.
Although not exactly Italian, my wife's Whitby Crab was, in her words, "out of this world". And my sardines would have taken some beating. For mains, she had the calf's liver, and was equally pleased. I treated myself to a 16oz slab of wonderful, tasty rib steak, and spent a delighted half hour munching my way through it. The only slight negative was over-cooked (and slightly skeletonic) spinach.
The meal wasn't cheap, but factor in a couple of bottles of house red, and the £90 tab was quite happily accepted.
It all made for a fantastic anniversary. We were glad we rang up and asked for our table (rather than taking pot luck). And we were made so wonderfully welcome. Thank you Delrio's.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,063)

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Visiting york on marathon weekend, so needed a good Italian for pasta/ carb loading. Found this place on the internet, looked good. Couldn't make reservation as restaurant was closed, but left answer phone message, and next day my call was returned, and booking made. Bit disappointed at the entrance, but pleased by the atmosphere of the place as soon as we entered the restaurant. Very busy and popular, and glad we made a reservation, as people were being turned away. We were shown to a table, but they had no spare menus , but quickly brought us some, drinks ordered, and complimentary bread arrived. Food was fab, service friendly, great meal.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Visited during a family weekend in York. From the minute we walked in we were made to feel welcome. Family of two adults and two children (age 14 and 6). The food was fabulous - the pear pasta was the nicest pasta I have ever tasted and my husbands steak melted in the mouth. The children both loved their meals of lasagne and pizza. The staff were all friendly and helpful. The bar even made some non-alcoholic cocktails for the children.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

Best lasagne ever was our verdict by myself and three women friends on our first visit to this friendly and atmospheric restaurant. Recommended by our hotel we were pleasantly surprised to find it bustling with diners on a wet Wednesday evening. We all chose the meringue of the day for pudding and it was as delicious as the main course. As a family run restaurant the service was attentive and speedy. Would definitely return on next visit to York.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Having been to Delrio's before and always enjoyed our trip it is sad that I'm forced to write such a negative review.

Party of 8 - 4 adults, 4 children

Everything started well as we were shown to the bar and served drinks by a very pleasant and attentive waitress. A short time later we were shown to our table. Our food orders were then taken by another less attentive waitress who seemed completely disinterested in my friends question around the type of mozzeralla used in one of the starters. She didn't know and clearly couldn't be bothered to find out hence a different starter was ordered. Anyway, the remaining starter and main orders were taken which included two of restaurant's "special pizzas" which are described as being topped with asparagus, parma ham and gorgonzola.

The starters came and went which were fine plus the four children in our party shared two pizza's. The problems then started with our mains. When the special pizza's arrived they looked like frozen pizza's. Very short on topping and simply looked unattractive. The taste didn't improve as the tomato sauce was basically passata with nothing added to it. Aren't Italian chef's meant to pride themselves on their tomato sauce as it's the base for a large proporation of every Italian menu? Not here anymore clearly. The param ham also tasted old to me and my friend had to remind me about the gorgonzola as I had virtually none on my pizza at all.

Being British we carried on and just thought Delrio's were having a bad night. We also seemed to have to beg for more black pepper and parmesan to the stage where I got up and grabbed the pepper mill myself. The pizza's were finished but it was a struggle to eat something so tasteless.

However, little did we know what was to come. Three dessert orders went in for the children which included two chocolate ice creams. To our horror when one was just about finished my friends youngest daughter produced a large piece of plastic from her mouth. We were lost for words so called over the person who looked to be in charge of service. He was shown the plastic and said "sorry" and took the plastic from my friend's wifes hand. He came back a short time later and stated the plastic had come from the lid of the ice cream, apologised again but didn't seen keen on doing anything else. What the hell??? What if she'd choked we all said to ourselves. Truly shocking !!!

At this point we just wanted to get the bill and leave. This came and to our total astonishment the ice creams were stll on the bill. I got up and asked for a word. This quickly turned into a heated debate in front of new customers as to why he'd really done nothing at all about the incident that could have wound up with us at York's A&E department. He then did something I still can't quite believe. He insisted on taking me to the kitchen to show me the offending lid still on the ice cream container in the freezer. I stood there in amazement and said "why are you showing me this you idiot when it clearly should be in the bin?" Are you not going to do that until some chokes in front of you??

I then had to stand and wait for what seemed an eternity (like it was all our fault!!) while our delightful waitress spent and age taking one and then two ice creams off the bill whilst smiling and shaking her head in front of me. I looked at her and said "why are you smiling and laughing?" to which she shrugged her shoulders. I said don't pretend you don't understand me and that I'd have the last laugh as this was all going on Trip Advisor.

Also - how to Delrio's get off charging a 10% service charge (£16 !!!!) when half our party were kids who had 2 pizza's between them? Service charges are for large groups that order a multitude of different things but still, what is the difference between a table of 8 doing that and two tables of 4? Service charges are a disgrace !! For our party simple common sense would tell them not to charge it but oh no...hit us in the privates to finish why don't you.

Needless to say Fri 1st Nov was our last visit to this place.

!!! DO NOT GO REGARDLESS OF REVIEWS UNLESS YOU WANT YOUR KIDS TO FINISH WITH PLASTIC IN THEIR MOUTHS AS YOU CAN BET THE LID IS STILL ON THE ICE CREAM !!!

7  Thank Sheardy_1969