“I loved this restaurant so authentic”

Delrio's Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 955 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Delrio's Restaurant offers home-cooked Italian food with a strong Sardinian influence in a lively environment. Enjoy candle-lit dining in this atmospheric cellar restaurant located adjacent to the historic Micklegate Bar and just a few minutes walk from York railway station.
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We chose this restaurant from reviews on Trip advisor im glad we did i loved the place, in honesty my friends didnt all agree with me, one of our party eats plain food only so you order a plain chicken breast with roast potatoes you get exactly that!
We were taken straight to our table by the lovely manager ith a fab irish accent, we were looked after by a lovely girl whos nationality i was unsure of but she was just great, efficient and a real character.
There were five of us eating we ordered a bottle of Orvietto which was nice the other girls ordered peach schnapps and lemonade those three drinks cost almost £14 £1.50 for each shot of lemonade i think this is daylight robbery to be honest and for some this will be a huge negative.
For me the food was really nice i had a trio of bruschetta to start which was ok but my main pollo chiantigiana was a delight and not badly priced at just over £14. We only had three starters on the table nad all three liked them. The evening menu isnt cheap my friend had scallops in pancettta which sadly she didnt like she felt they were two salty, at £17.50 for 5 scallops again fairly pricy, we advised the manager of the oversalty issue she assured us no salt is used in the cooking of scallops it must just have been the pancetta so no adjustment wwas made to our final bill but she didi ask if my friend would prefer anything else which she declined. My chicken was stuffed with blue cheese and wrapped in pancetta i didnt think mine too salty but i guess this can all be down to particular taste. The salty issue raised its head again one of our party said her roast potatoes were too salty, i had them and mine were ok just seasoned nicely but admittedly not the best roast pots ive had in honesty. Again make your own mind up about this, i know i do. The rest of my party seemed to enjoy their food but there were no resounding oohs and aahhs to be honest two out of five liked main courses.
For myself i would return here maybe on a happy hour deal because i loved the authenticity of the place, i loved the vibrant atmosphere and we had great service all evening we did have a wait between each course and for our drinks but the place was large, packed to the rafters and it was saturday night peak time what do you expect! Im not sure my friends would go back i dont think they enjoyed the place like i did.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,169)

Reviewed October 2, 2013

We went here while on a weekend away based on trip advisor reviews and I have to say we were not disappointed.

Great selection of food on the menu & the meals were freshly made and very tasty. Despite it being very busy even on a Sunday night the staff were always on hand when you needed them, and always check to see if everything was ok.

Overall friendly staff, great service & great food. Booking is essential if you don't want to be disappointed.

Would visit again.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Italian restaurant in York, close to the city wall. The fact that the restaurant is based in the cellar makes it a very nice atmosphere. Waiters and waitress are very nice, despite the big group we were on that evening. Large choice of simple, but good meals. Interesting choice of italian wines : worth a visit!

1  Thank seb8975
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We have just eaten here for a special birthday meal and we couldn't fault it. We reserved a table as it is always really busy and having eaten here before didn't want to be disappointed and not get in. The waiter as very attentive and when I was struggling to choose a main meal he made a suggestion of chicken & king prawns which I had and it was superb, my husband had the special seafood linguine and said it was the best he has ever tasted. The service was excellent the starters arrived very quickly and we only waited minutes for the main meals even though it was busy we were very impressed. On leaving the restaurant we booked again for New Years Eve as they are already getting booked up, we are coming back to York and can't think of anywhere better to eat.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

I was really looking forward to this restaurant after reading the online reviews. If we hadn't made a reservation we would have left immediately, as on arrival we were ignored by countless members of staff for what seemed like an eternity. We were acknowledged after standing foolishly for about 5 minutes and told someone would be with us soon. Our table was just beside the entrance so we were in prime position to see all the other customers being treated in the same way - standing uncomfortably desperately trying to get noticed. I have never seen anything like it.

Our position beside the kitchen pass also gave me a ringside view of the fraught relationship between two female members of the waiting staff, one of whom was our waitress. There was real tension in the air, which is not what I look for in a night out.

My starter of three types of bruschetta was very tasty - partiularly the mushroom one, which was delicious. My boyfriend found his stuffed aubergine bland. Our views were reversed for the mains - he really enjoyed his rib eye, which was generous in size. My main of seabass ravioli was quite dull and tasted like plain ricotta ravioli in a tomato sauce. Perhaps seabass is too delicate a flavour for inclusion in ravioli, and that may explain why one doesn't often see this dish on menus.

We resolved to ask for the bill without delay because the atmosphere and poor service were getting us down. The waitress cleared away our mains and then ignored us for about 20 minutes. Another feature of the service was that any attempt to catch the eye of a member of staff other than our waitress was met with evasion on their part and a "you're not my responsibility" vibe. When our waitress finally returned she threw down dessert menus without asking if we wanted them and left so quickly that we were unable to ask for the bill. When we asked a waiter for the bill we were left waiting another 10 to 15 minutes.

This restaurant is very busy and perhaps its regular clientele do not expect much in terms of service. I've never been to a restaurant with such visibly dysfunctional staffing arrangements. We went to the Lime House the next evening and felt pampered by the staff.

2  Thank ArtDeco85