“Excellent food, warm welcome”
Review of Masons Bar & Bistro - CLOSED

Masons Bar & Bistro
Cuisines: British, Wine Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 7, 2014

We went to Masons early on a Sunday evening, two hungry children in toe. The restaurant was quiet as it was very early but the welcome was warm. The food was very tasty, with good range, good service. The kids were well looked after and enjoyed the adult size puddings!

Ideal for couples, groups or families. Worth finding.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

During a day out in York, we stumbled across this place! It had a lovely, chilled, Saturday afternoon atmosphere. We both had the Mason Burger which was tasty actually. The burger was homemade and 'mincey', not that awful, foamy, slurry-type burger! Bit too small for my liking though! The chips were plentiful and tasty (although lost their shine halfway through the meal when we saw a chef carrying a bag of McCains oven chips into the back!) and the onion rings were yummy but a bit cold! The salad was limp, but who eats the salad anyway?!

The only off-putting thing about Masons was the lavatories! The ladies floor was swamped with what I can only hope was water...

All in all, an over-priced but enjoyable nosh!

Reviewed March 1, 2014

Pitta bread followed by more pitta bread. Dried lamb kebab. Dry lamb burger... Basically dry lamb!! Expensive, over rated and can't understand how it gets such good reviews! Won't visit again!

Reviewed February 15, 2014

It was nice to have our first meal in York at this place.
It is a surprise when you walk through the door, the place is much smaller that I expected, but looks cozy and has character.

They have some very imaginative options, and I recommend looking at the chalkboard before you order! The prices are very reasonable, the staff member who served us was energetic, very polite and attentive.
We loved our burgers and enjoyed the wine! Too bad they didn't have more wine by the glass options, it is always nice to choose something more exotic to go with your food!

We didn't have any starters or deserts, but the menu sounded interesting and I am sure it will be worth trying many of the dishes!

I recommend it if you want a nice meal!

Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

Just popped in for a quick lunch on the run. Opted for a starter meal of tacos/ beef chilli etc. Was tasty. I would have preferred the chilli spicier. Thats my choice and why sour cream is added? Maybe offer hot sauce for optional added kick? Had a glass of a great cabernet sauvigion. Fantastic friendly attentive host.

1  Thank hotlips45