“Varied menu, good standard of food and service”
Review of Plunkets - CLOSED

Plunkets
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We recently spent the weekend in York with my sister and brother-in-law and tried to book a table at many restaurants to eat on the Saturday night, but understandably for the time of year, they were all booked up.
We stumbled across Plunkets on our way back to our B&B after a day around York and asked if we could book a table for later that evening, we were told they did not offer a table reservation service, but if we were prepared to wait and have a drink in the bar upstairs they would do their best to get us a table as soon as one was free.
So we left our B&B at 7pm, headed to Plunkets, put our name on the list and had a few drinks in the bar area upstairs. We waited about an hour, which was fine as we had planned to eat about 8pm anyway. Service was friendly and efficient, and the menu was varied - many Mexican dishes, but also steak, duck, lamb rump, sea bass, salads and vegetarian options too. I ordered rib eye steak (£17.95), which was probably the most expensive meal on the menu, my partner ordered the burritos. I chose my medium rare steak to be accompanied by jacket potato and salad, it arrived with delicious onion rings too. The steak was chargrilled and deliciously cooked to perfection. The potato was huge and topped sour cream, it was really good. We both had desserts, chocolate brownie and Ice cream and choc orange tart & cream - both were lovely.
The bill came to £132 for four of us, 3 drinks each, 1 starter, 4 mains, 3 desserts and two coffees, which I think is very reasonable for four people and we really enjoyed it.
I would go again and I would recommend it to people who want good hearty, home-made food - it's certainly not small & fancy fine dining, but we enjoyed our food, the atmosphere and value for money.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

We found this restaurant by chance but then went on to visit it 3 times during our stay in York. It was a warm and friendly haven after being out in the cold and wet.The food was freshly cooked,piping hot and excellent value for money.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

We ate here on Thurs 6th Dec on our last night in York. There was plenty on choice on the menu with a good mix of Bistro, South American and Tex Mex dishes. For starter I had the potato skins with added chili con carne, it was a very hearty sized portion cooked to crisp perfection. My husband had the brie and mushroom dip which was lovely. For main I had the chicken and beef burritos which was nice, however I feel it could have done with a little more seasoning throughout the dish overall. My husband had the Fiesta Chimichanga which he said was very tasty and surprisingly light considering the type of dish it is. For dessert we both had the Chocolate Orange Tart with cream which was AMAZING! One of the best puddings I have ever had. We also had a bottle of house Rose which was very nice. Overall a nice good value meal in a lovely little place that seems popular with locals and visitors alike.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

Food was okay Natcho starter great to share, however the chilli had no heat. Service was quick and the staff were friendly.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

My wife and I found this restaurant while looking for somewhere for a pre theatre dinner and we were drawn by the view of the roaring fire as we went into the foyer. Had a great table in the window and watched the freezing pedestrians walking by but with a lovely glass of Malbec in my hand! Really good ribeye steak and lovely cheesecake. Not fancy but very well cooked and good value. Would recommend.