“Good honest food”

Russells of Coppergate
Ranked #356 of 859 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: British
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Peterlee, United Kingdom
“Good honest food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2014 via mobile

Myself and my husband visited here on a Thursday lunchtime.As we entered we were greeted by a lovely lady who asked us where we would like to sit. Once we were seated we were given menus and drinks orders were quickly taken. The meat and Yorkshire pudding were delicious though I have to agree that SOME of the vegetables were a little dried up but most were fine .We were offered more veg if we wanted .As well as the carvery other specials were available eg soup and a roast sandwich. Reasonable price and would visit again.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Christine J

• Finnish first
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
“Out of this world - Unrecognizable Food Objects!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2014

So, let me set the scene: stunning, (if not a smidgen too warm) day out to York with the family, Looking forward to a day of history and marvel. Now as a larger chap, the penetrating warmth and the walking's got me all agitated. (I, like any respectable truck needs to stop for refueling every 100ft) So Just as the obligatory quarreling of a ravenous family of misfits had started, the barks for a maccy D's swatted by the submission of an Italian; we found ourselves stood in the shadow of a red, flower clad facade, Gourmet society approved eatery by the name of Russells.

Table for 5 - Ginger Beer and a large Carvery ordered. "So Chubs, Why the 1 star?" I hear boom from your guts? Well.....

The veg was very lack-luster; Peas wrinklier than my manhood after a bath, what I hope was a carrot puree and some very ill looking broad beans.

The assortment of meats, (gammon, Turkey and beef) each in their own rights resembled some sort of fat covered, regurgitated cyst. It was genuinely awful. "Ahh what the hell., I could eat a steamrolled dog if its lathered in gravy", I say to myself undefeated.
The lackey behind the counter wielded his ladle, a flicker of hope resonating in his eye.

The hope was false..

A light brown, gelatinous specimen was spooned onto my plate; Its similarity very much uncanny to what funnels out of me after an Indian takeaway, Chunks n' all. It's cold, meaty membrane sullying all it touched.

The only saving grace to this meal was the roast spuds, where they good. Nope. But unlike the rest where at least palatable, So Kudos on that Russells!

So a long story made longer, we paid the revoltingly steep prices for a carvery ( even if it had been the finest carvery we had eaten the price still would have been a knee to the groin) and left the premises hungrier than when we entered.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank MuckyWookiee
York, United Kingdom
“Waste of time & money.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

Visited back in June and to be honest waste of time and money. Food was poor, no atmosphere what so ever, the girl serving us was polite and prompt (as prompt as she could be). Won't be returning I'm afraid!

• Visited June 2014
Shipston on Stour, England, United Kingdom
“Ok for quick roast lunch - not too pricey”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2014

Quite pleasantly surprised. Thought we'd be ripped off but a good quality lunch for 4 of us. 3 choices of roast and lots of veg to select. Would definitely consider again.

Visited August 2014
Hartford, Connecticut
“What a Mistake”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

My wife and I had the unfortunate experience of having lunch at Russells on July 30th. The indifference of the waitress and manager should have given us a clue that we would have been better off just walking out. There were only two other people in the restaurant at around 1:45 p.m. and we were seated directly next to them. It did not make much sense to us but we could not request to change seats because the waitress did not come back for 15 minutes. My wife ordered a chicken caesar salad, it was delivered about 20 minutes later and she was finished before I even got my meal. The restaurant advertises that they have been in business for like 200 years and it looks appealing from the outside but the service and quality of food is extremely poor. My wife and I joke about Russells being the worse restaurant on our trip and recommend that you walk by to avoid such a bad experience.

• Visited July 2014