“Good Old English Roast”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Romford, United Kingdom
“Good Old English Roast”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Pleasant staff & surroundings. If you like a traditional carvery in while in York, this is the place to go

Visited July 2013
1 Thank SpudSpuddy

• Finnish first
Scotland
“Poor value”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We with my wife and two kids food was good, but I have to say it is very pricey and not value for money, not a really friendly dining experience either, I don't think I would return.

• Visited July 2013
Onchan
“what a disapointment”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

From the outside it looked very nice. We had walked past a lot of busy places, so decided to eat at Russels.

Oh dear.

At the reception desk, we waited 5 minutes before someone appeared. The waitress was dressed as though she was doing kitchen portering duties. The drinks selection was poor.

However, the worst thing was the rudeness of the woman behind the counter at the carvery. I asked for beef, and a bit of turkey. "You get one slice of each, and thats your lot". Gravy was slopped on the meat before you had a chance to put the veg on the plate. The peas were cold and the yorkshire pud looked and tasted like something I found on a building site.

It was a busy night in York. In Russels, I counded 23 tables, of which 19 were unoccupied.

AVOID.

• Visited June 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Very good for what it is”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I am genuinely surprised at the low rating this has on Trip Advisor. I have come here a number of times over the years. It is not gourmet cuisine, but then it doesn't set out to be. It serves good, basic roast dinners. The meat and roast potatoes are good quality and there is a range of vegetables. The plates could be a bit bigger to fit it all on. Only the Yorkshire puddings are a bit bland and dry. I think some reviewers here don't quite grasp the concept of a carvery and/or have slightly unrealistic expectations.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Johntimelord
Mablethorpe, United Kingdom
“Best dining experience”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

My boyfriend and I ate at this restaurant the other night, and it was the best dining experience I've ever had, and I even emailed Russell's afterwards to say how great it was again. The food was delicious, I had the salmon fishcake salad (recommend it) and my boyfriend had the carvery. The service was excellent, the waitress was extremely polite and lovely and seemed more than happy to go out of her way to make sure everything was perfect for us. The price for the value of the meal was happily paid, and although I live 2 1/2 hours from York, we will certainly be eating in this restaurant on our next visit to York.

• Visited May 2013