“Totally & utterly......dreadful!!!”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We were looking for a nice Sunday lunch and unfortunately didn't twig until it was too late why everywhere else had an hour wait and we got sat straight away with our choice of tables. The chef served a stingy portion of meat before pouring water thin gravy over it all, pre potato and veg! York must be gravy pinching capital of the country as we seemingly weren't trusted to do it ourselves.. Once sat, we tucked into our cold Sunday lunch, well I did as my wife sent hers to get heated up. My friend was also looking forward to a pint of John smiths, this however looked like it was poured straight from the river Ouse and tasted like it as well so that went back. Not once were we asked how our meal was or if we had enjoyed it. In the spirit of the British stiff upper lip we gave a strained smile and left. If we can give any advice to people wanting a quality Sunday lunch in York, when you see Russell's...just keep walking...

1  Thank DaveyScorer

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Lovely meal, not too big portions, lacks a bit of finesse but the meal is tasty and the atmosphere is lovely. We did feel a bit rushed as the waitress was really keen to remove plates but it's nice and the staff are really pleasant. Was great for me being gluten free as the gravy and the veg and roasties were all gluten free.

Lovely meal in a pleasant location.

2  Thank JockBCumbria
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We had lunch at this restaurant last Sunday as I had visited once before a few years ago and thought it was nice - how wrong was I. The service was abysmal - we were left waiting for somebody to show us to our table for quite some time, even though three members of staff had walked past us and could see that we were waiting. Once seated we decided to go straight up for our food as the queue wasn't too long. My son had beef and I had gammon with mashed potatoes, roast potatoes, carrot and swede, Yorkshire pudding and gravy. You would have thought that with all of that food on our very small plates there would be some taste - again how wrong we were. I was given one and a half slices of gammon and my son was given one slice; both of which were really dry and tasteless, the mash was stuck in the serving bowl and the gravy was like dishwater. The only bit that was half decent was the carrot and swede. I have never had a Sunday lunch like it - it was so appalling my son had three mouthfuls and asked if he could leave it - normally I would have said no and asked him to try and eat a little bit more but it was honestly so horrible that I couldn't help but let him. We were charged £18 for one child's and one adults meal and one J2O (I had a glass of water and was half expecting them to charge me for that!). I will never, ever visit this restaurant again and I strongly advise anybody thinking of popping in not to bother!

1  Thank Sally M
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Visited with friends after recommendation. Certainly was not disappointed, there is a Carvery and Ala Carte Menu, we chose the Carvery on this occasion. We all enjoyed different starter that were excellent followed by a visit to the Carvery. This was prepared to a hight standard and was hot. Everybody enjoyed the meal which was reasonably priced offering good value. Well worth a visit. We would go again.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We had lunch at this restaurant during our visit to York as we wanted to try the roast and Yorkshire pudding. It didn't taste good. The sauce for the roast was tasteless and so was the thin slice of meat. The pudding was equally bad. Besides, it was not cheap and service was appalling. We were agreed that it was the worst meal during our 10 day trip to the UK.