“Quirky, individual with best staff in the city” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of 1331 Bar - Restaurant - Cinema - Venue

1331 Bar - Restaurant - Cinema - Venue
Reserve with OpenTable
1331 Bar - Restaurant - Cinema - Venue is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #191 of 850 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: European, Bar, British, International, Wine Bar
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: We are open from 8am everyday serving home cooked breakfast & hot drinks. You can go the full English, the healthy Granola option or just a simple oven baked croissant. Our main menu is served from 11am till 10pm everyday plus we have a set menu which runs all day too. You can dine alfresco in our sunny (sometimes) walled garden, in the covered courtyard, the ground floor bar, in the first floor dining area or even our Tiffany room which is ideal for private dine for upto 30 people.
Yorkshire England
“Quirky, individual with best staff in the city”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

Sunday lunch in the top floor restaurant was great-we just dropped in and were told there would be a wait as they were busy. We were happy to have a drink in the upper bar. We liked that there are 2 bars,2 restaurants, a garden, an Art Deco function room and the coolest little cinema ever.
This place is emphatically not a chain. The staff obviously enjoy working there and this adds to the atmosphere.
Have also visited the bars at night and to watch sport in the fabulous
cinema. On balance it is our favourite place in York to relax!

Visited February 2014

• Greek first
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Great Meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

We visited this restaurant as a family of 6 at Feb half term. The last 3 reviews are at odds with what we experienced, so I decided to write a short review to give balance.
We were greeted by friendly staff, who were also good with our children. We had the 2 course early evening menu, which was good quality and value for money. The Caesar salads and fish and chips were excellent. The staff were attentive and we had an enjoyable visit. Little more to say, other than we would recommend this restaurant.

york
“Dreadful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

I visited this so called restaurant today on the recommendation of a friend. As soon as I entered I had misgivings. Everything seemed grubby, scruffy and tatty. a friendly waitress showed us to a table, and gave us a menu, then we waited, and waited, eventually she came back and took our food and drinks order. It was obvious that the two waitresses were rushed off their feet, and could barely cope with the volume of customers.
As I glanced around I noticed that most of the tables were waiting for their food, and like them, we waited. I chose the £9.95 two course menu, eventually a so called Grilled Goats Cheese and Salad starter came, it was probably the poorest Goats Cheese I have ever eaten, barely cooked, with a few tired salad leaves, (no upselling of would I like some bread)!
After another interminable wait, eventually our main courses arrived, my friend had chosen the so called "Special", Dover Sole, which at £9.95, seemed a bargain, frankly it looked so over cooked I would have sent it back, it arrived on a bed of what I would kindly describe as chunky veg, with a slab of parsley butter, that didn't even melt when it sat on the fish.
My main of Haddock and Chips, was in an undercooked batter, and the chips which were described as handcut, were mixed in with skinny fries, which I can only deduce were from the previous batch fried in the same basket . I asked for no mushy peas, a little salad would have been nice, and saved the dish from looking as though it had been thrown on the plate.
Other tables were asking when their order would be ready, could they please hurry up, etc., the girls were clearly rushed off their feet, and I felt sorry for them, as they were both very sweet and obliging.
Why on earth it was so busy is a mystery as it is such a poor restaurant, why go here when you can have a delicious well cooked meal at other restaurants close by.
Why, if there is such a person, does the manager allow the restaurant to fill up when the kitchen can clearly not cope with so many diners.
Why employ a Chef who obviously has no interest or pride in his work.
I would never go back or recommend this restaurant to anybody. Even though the sweet Geordie waitress kindly gave us a discount on our bill.

• Visited February 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank vickypYork
York, United Kingdom
“diss - apointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

I went to 13 31 York on Friday evening with my Husband his brothers and sister and their other halves . I would not recommend this restaurant at all , the staff seemed very nice , but I think they need a new chef , if you could say chef , I doubt it . I only had a greek salad which I had to send it back , it was dire . It was replaced by another , which was slightly better , but I think whoever made it needs to take a trip to Greece to sample how its done , its easy really . None of the other meals were very good , especially as this place is supposed to be very good . not in our eyes .

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank margaret w
York, United Kingdom
“Went in for lunch... 3 hours later.... thats a joke.. i think..”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

We have been to Bar 1331 several times in the last few months , celebrated significant birthdays and also contemplated having our wedding here, but the restaurant wouldn't not have met our needs. Normally even on the busiest days staff are friendly, helpful and the food is second to non. However, today has changed all that. A couple of friends, their baby and my husband and I went in today for lunch - reserved seats. We were initially told that it would be half an hour for lunch, and that was fine by us. One of our party is a insulin dependent diabetic so, took their insulin in readiness for the meal - which then didn't arrive till 2 hours later!!!! This could have had series consequences and was pointed out to the waitress.. it took 3 hours in all for lunch for a 2 course ... main cold over cooked stodge.. pudding was forgotten about.. chased and then arrived both cold AND burnt and tasted of salt. Water we asked for to heat the babies bottle did not arrive until we asked again 1/2 hour later.When we complained the woman who proclaimed she was the boss's daughter, made us all feel we were at fault- stated we had been told it would be a half an hour wait and made no apology, she was rude, confrontational and openly laughed in our faces, in front of her colleague. She stated she would take money off our bills but on receiving our bill it was obvious not one penny had been taken off.. on asking her about this she stated she had taken money off, when I politely pointed this out through itemising the food and drinks we had ordered, the penny dropped, again no apology.. We love this place but today one rude, woman who has no idea how to treat customers,( nor say the word 'sorry' which would have 'smoothed' over our problems), has tainted how we feel about Bar 1331.

• Visited January 2014