“Fantastic”

Ranked #14 of 955 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Moments from York racecourse and the River Ouse you���ll find local gem, Melton���s. Picked up by all the major food guides, and the only restaurant in York listed in Egon Ronay's Top 200 Restaurant's in Britain, Melton���s menu is Melton���s menu is an immaculate collection of local and international dishes using fresh regional produce. Mix that with Melton���s friendly, warm service and it���s easy to see why this charming restaurant has remained a local favourite over the years. Sample the delights of local duck with five spice and soya, steamed rice and pak choi, or flavorsome mussel risotto with anise air.
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I've eaten in many Michelin starred restaurants over the years and this doesn't suffer in their company. Brought my wife here for her birthday on 20th March - I can recommend the tasting menu - £38 is absolutely great value for money for 5 courses - chocolate venison - sublime! Lucy has fantastic taste and knowledge of wine and I think £20 for 5 wines to accompany is a total no brainer - give it a go - you will not be disappointed!

Reviewed March 23, 2014

we booked for 7.30 on a Friday ,were shown seats in the window ,this was nice as we could people watch ,ordered house wine a red and white ,both were quite acceptable ,
for starters I had Scallaps my husband had crab salad ,both were served really well and tasted lovely .Main course I has venison my husband had pork both again were presented lovely and tasted good .all in all food was top, the only thing that let the place down was some how a lack of atmosphere ,the place just didn't buzz .however saying that I would return as the food was top

Reviewed March 16, 2014

We've lived in York for 3 years but only visited this restaurant recently with my parents. The food is fabulous, local produce is used which is clearly of a really high standard. I had scallops to start followed by the risotto which was so tasty. The service was great, staff very welcoming. I wish we'd visited sooner but will definitely be back!

Reviewed March 12, 2014

We first came across this lovely place a couple of years whilst passing through and had no hesitation in going back when next in York on 7th March. We were lucky to get in only having booked a few days before. We were placed at a very acceptable table on the 1st floor in a lovely room with period features and muted pastel colours.

The menu is designed as it should be: short but offering choice for most diets. Canapes were a tapenade and houmous with an oil drenched melba toast. Amusee bouche a golden beetroot soup. By this time I was salivating for more! On selections, we mixed and matched as normal for us; a fish and veggie starter and the same for mains. Hand dived scallops were perfect but the parsnip three ways was absolutely divine. These were followed by a truly magnificent veggie special of soft polenta, very large flat mushroom topped with pine nuts and associated garnishes. The fish main was coley (not one of my favourites ) but beautifully accompanied by a soft cheese pastry and tabbouleh which was simply a burst of flavour. We also had one portion of extra veg which was more than enough for two. On drinks, Prosecco is offered in 200ml bottles at a very reasonable 7 quid and we enjoyed a single vineyard Pinot Grigio at around £30. We couldn't manage pudding but did enjoy a digestif. Mineral water and coffees are complimentary in this establishment. For all this- a £100. My recommendation to meat eaters is just try the vegetarian offer from the kitchen. I am confident you will be converted!

Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

We booked a week ahead for a table of 6. We wanted 8pm, but got 8:15. Thats fine. An hour or so before our time, two more friends wanted to come along, but restaurant said there was no space. That's fine, I suppose.

We arrived on time, thirsty and hungry. We sat and waited. And waited. Finally we flagged down a waitress and asked for water. We had been there 25 minutes, and our orders had not been taken.

When we finally ordered we told the waiter we were on a time frame and needed to be leaving by 9:45 or so. He grumbled that he couldn't guarantee that would happen. We were astounded at the attitude.

We ordered only mains, due to the delay. It was after 9:30 when our food came. Two of us ordered the barley risotto. I said it was like savoury breakfast porridge -- he agreed. But others liked what they had, especially the venison in chocolate sauce.

One of us had a speaking commitment at 10 so we asked them to order a cab for us. Credit there -- the friendly lady ordered a big one to fit us all in.

I read the outstanding reviews here and wondered if we were all at the same restaurant? Maybe they were short staffed. The wait staff worked their socks off, but it took so long to get any result that the stress just made it an unpleasant dinner.

I wouldn't do it unless you have absolutely all night.

The final thing. A table for two beside ours remained empty the whole time. It would have been simple to pull it over to add to the three already set, so our friends could have joined us. How odd. Disappointing.

2  Thank Debs42