“Beautiful food and atmosphere”
Review of The Blue Bicycle Restaurant - CLOSED

The Blue Bicycle Restaurant
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: This place is temporarily closed due to flooding on Dec 27, 2015. We do not anticipate being open before the 2nd Quarter of 2017. We will provide further updates on an estimated reopening date as we have this information available. Located near York Minster, The Blue Bicycle has become one of York's dining landmarks. With a French style English menu heavily weighted towards fish dishes, an unpretentious, welcoming atmosphere, professional French waiters, and charming decor, it is no wonder this eaterie is often packed. The downstairs is particularly romantic and atmospheric -- it is allegedly a former brothel and the decor is true to it's blue period. Menu favourites include the chef's own spicy fish cakes with pineapple salsa, and grilled scallops with sweet chilli sauce to start, followed by a steaming bowl of monkfish and prawn chowder, or tuna with red onion, lime and coriander salsa.
Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

We went to te restaurant as we were staying in their apartments. We have been before and they kindly booked us in to one of the booths downstairs. We had a lovely booth to ourselves and it almost felt like you had your own private area. There was an amazing man singing as we dined and as always the food was amazing. I had some thing from the specials board while my partner stuck to the normal menu and both loved every bite. This restaurant is amazing and worth every penny. If you haven't been then you must!

Reviewed September 17, 2013

This is an unusual restaurant with a bit of fun surrounding the name and the history of the premises. It was a meeting of friends and a celebration. Really good food and reasonable prices. Would thoroughly recommend this to anyone wanting a good night out and conversation point.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We went as a party of 6 for a celebration lunch, and it was perfect! Wonderful ambience, attentive service and food that was not only delicious but a talking point, where we all had to try everyone's dish. It was exceptional, and I would highly recommend it.

I have been deterred from going to the Blue Bicycle in the past because of its reputation for being expensive. But its prices are on a par with other top restaurants in York, and if you avoid the top price wines, you will find it much the same. Very high quality.

Try sitting downstairs with the burlesque styling and picturesque balconies over the River Foss.

Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

I've read a few other reviews saying that the portions were small, I found them to be very generous indeed, so big in fact that I couldn't finish my main and I could'nt face a dessert!

I had a chicken and black pudding starter which was beautiful, then then a fillet of perfectly cooked cod with mustard mash and a small ham and pea pie, my only disappointment was that our waitress recommended a side as the meal was 'small', I ordered a side of vegatables and I didn't touch them.

Yes, it's not cheap and yes the apply a service charge, but the menu clearly states that it's optional, maybe others should look before claiming to be outraged.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Went to the Blue Bicycle to celebrate moving in and wasn't disappointed by the food - great flavours and nice little touches like bread baked in plant pots. We did feel, however, that the food was a little overpriced, especially when compared to other restaurants in York of similar quality.