“Top Dining Experience”

The Blue Bicycle Restaurant
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: This place is temporarily closed due to flooding on Dec 27, 2015. We do not anticipate being open before the 2nd Quarter of 2017. We will provide further updates on an estimated reopening date as we have this information available. Located near York Minster, The Blue Bicycle has become one of York's dining landmarks. With a French style English menu heavily weighted towards fish dishes, an unpretentious, welcoming atmosphere, professional French waiters, and charming decor, it is no wonder this eaterie is often packed. The downstairs is particularly romantic and atmospheric -- it is allegedly a former brothel and the decor is true to it's blue period. Menu favourites include the chef's own spicy fish cakes with pineapple salsa, and grilled scallops with sweet chilli sauce to start, followed by a steaming bowl of monkfish and prawn chowder, or tuna with red onion, lime and coriander salsa.
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We went as a party of 6 for a celebration lunch, and it was perfect! Wonderful ambience, attentive service and food that was not only delicious but a talking point, where we all had to try everyone's dish. It was exceptional, and I would highly recommend it.

I have been deterred from going to the Blue Bicycle in the past because of its reputation for being expensive. But its prices are on a par with other top restaurants in York, and if you avoid the top price wines, you will find it much the same. Very high quality.

Try sitting downstairs with the burlesque styling and picturesque balconies over the River Foss.

Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

I've read a few other reviews saying that the portions were small, I found them to be very generous indeed, so big in fact that I couldn't finish my main and I could'nt face a dessert!

I had a chicken and black pudding starter which was beautiful, then then a fillet of perfectly cooked cod with mustard mash and a small ham and pea pie, my only disappointment was that our waitress recommended a side as the meal was 'small', I ordered a side of vegatables and I didn't touch them.

Yes, it's not cheap and yes the apply a service charge, but the menu clearly states that it's optional, maybe others should look before claiming to be outraged.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Went to the Blue Bicycle to celebrate moving in and wasn't disappointed by the food - great flavours and nice little touches like bread baked in plant pots. We did feel, however, that the food was a little overpriced, especially when compared to other restaurants in York of similar quality.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

The restaurant is mostly known for its fish dishes, but the vegetarian options were excellent. It was quite pricey and the service didn't match expectations when you looked at the prices, however the quality of the food means that it definitely gets a very good from me!

Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

Ate here on Saturday lunch time as we considered this was a special place after reading reviews for his birthday lunch. We have been here once previously, our 2nd wedding anniversary 11 years ago and found the dining experience to be a memorable one.

If I am honest, I found it more memorable from our first experience, however this maybe due to evening dining in a "booth" on the ground floor, romantic ambient lighting, I recall the food surpassed all expectations.

Upon arrival, we were the only diners at 1pm, which felt a little awkward as the upstairs part of the restaurant whilst quirky is very "open plan" and we felt self conscious as it was very quiet!

The menu covers a variety of options to suit all palettes alongside a "specials" board. For this calibre of restaurant I expected my napkin to be placed on my lap for me, however I am now nit picking because you couldn't fault the place.

Ordered a glass of merlot each £5.50 per glass. I opted for truffle scrambled egg with asparagus which arrived on a slate with shaven parmigiana. Beautiful asparagus - not sure about the truffle scrambled egg as a starter! My husband opted for confit chicken with black pudding and piccalilli - this looked superb on the plate and tasted amazing.

Mains, for me stone bass with black pudding mash - the fish very tasty, quite a sweet fish. My husband ordered from the special board Yorkshire wold beef, spinach with pine nuts and oxtail. Again looked impressive, the oxtail served in breadcrumbs - very tasty. Neither of us had room for desert - although at £7 - £8 each just as well!

The bathroom was clean, nice to see quality paper towels for your hands and lovely Molton Brown hand wash and cream.

The bill a cool £75 including 10% service charge. The front of house stated we didn't have to pay the service charge which we opted out of and left £5 tip for the waitress instead otherwise we were informed she would not see it!

Would I return? Yes during the evening next time.

If you are calling for lunch - no need to book. We were there until 2.20 pm and only 2 other tables were taken.