Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed due to a natural disaster.

“Exceptional vegetarian selection” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Blue Bicycle Restaurant

The Blue Bicycle Restaurant
Ranked #134 of 850 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: This place is temporarily closed due to flooding on Dec 27, 2015. We do not anticipate being open before the 2nd Quarter of 2017. We will provide further updates on an estimated reopening date as we have this information available. Located near York Minster, The Blue Bicycle has become one of York's dining landmarks. With a French style English menu heavily weighted towards fish dishes, an unpretentious, welcoming atmosphere, professional French waiters, and charming decor, it is no wonder this eaterie is often packed. The downstairs is particularly romantic and atmospheric -- it is allegedly a former brothel and the decor is true to it's blue period. Menu favourites include the chef's own spicy fish cakes with pineapple salsa, and grilled scallops with sweet chilli sauce to start, followed by a steaming bowl of monkfish and prawn chowder, or tuna with red onion, lime and coriander salsa.
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
“Exceptional vegetarian selection”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

The restaurant is mostly known for its fish dishes, but the vegetarian options were excellent. It was quite pricey and the service didn't match expectations when you looked at the prices, however the quality of the food means that it definitely gets a very good from me!

Visited July 2013

• Turkish first
Scarborough, yorkshire
“Quirky surroundings, food very nice indeed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

Ate here on Saturday lunch time as we considered this was a special place after reading reviews for his birthday lunch. We have been here once previously, our 2nd wedding anniversary 11 years ago and found the dining experience to be a memorable one.

If I am honest, I found it more memorable from our first experience, however this maybe due to evening dining in a "booth" on the ground floor, romantic ambient lighting, I recall the food surpassed all expectations.

Upon arrival, we were the only diners at 1pm, which felt a little awkward as the upstairs part of the restaurant whilst quirky is very "open plan" and we felt self conscious as it was very quiet!

The menu covers a variety of options to suit all palettes alongside a "specials" board. For this calibre of restaurant I expected my napkin to be placed on my lap for me, however I am now nit picking because you couldn't fault the place.

Ordered a glass of merlot each £5.50 per glass. I opted for truffle scrambled egg with asparagus which arrived on a slate with shaven parmigiana. Beautiful asparagus - not sure about the truffle scrambled egg as a starter! My husband opted for confit chicken with black pudding and piccalilli - this looked superb on the plate and tasted amazing.

Mains, for me stone bass with black pudding mash - the fish very tasty, quite a sweet fish. My husband ordered from the special board Yorkshire wold beef, spinach with pine nuts and oxtail. Again looked impressive, the oxtail served in breadcrumbs - very tasty. Neither of us had room for desert - although at £7 - £8 each just as well!

The bathroom was clean, nice to see quality paper towels for your hands and lovely Molton Brown hand wash and cream.

The bill a cool £75 including 10% service charge. The front of house stated we didn't have to pay the service charge which we opted out of and left £5 tip for the waitress instead otherwise we were informed she would not see it!

Would I return? Yes during the evening next time.

If you are calling for lunch - no need to book. We were there until 2.20 pm and only 2 other tables were taken.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
York
“Good food, nice wine list!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

Once you get past the telephone booking, the Blue Bicycle is a nice place to eat. I hate restaurants that think they are 'doing you a favour', 'squeezing you in a table for 2', only to find the place half empty when you've broken your neck to get there in a rush! Even as we dined for nearly 2 hours, there were lots of spare tables on a thursday evening. Food was imaginative and very nice quality. Service was excellent.

Visited August 2013
Chicago, IL
“Lovely dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

This was recommended to us by an acquaintance shortly before our visit to York. The food was fabulous. It was a bit pricier than our normal evening out but I felt it was well spent for a lovely evening out.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Great weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

This restaurant always makes me smile just like the pleasent staff. The food was wonderful as always. We stayed in one of the apartments which was well appointed with generous quantities of alchahol provided together with many thoughtful provisions. The central location with car parking was a GEM in York where car parking is always problematic, however, that is one of Yorks charms.

• Visited September 2013