“Lovely little cafe in the heart of York”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Hungry Artist - CLOSED

The Hungry Artist
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Mediterranean
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: York's Original City Centre Art Cafe! Bringing together excellent freshly ground coffee, fine teas, delicious food, superb cakes and pastries with a world of Original Art for sale. Current exhibitions are from local artists. Visit us to experience our unique ambiance and surroundings! We are sure you will be amazed!
“Lovely little cafe in the heart of York”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

I recently visited the hungry artist with my girlfriend and found it to be a lovely little place :) I'd never noticed it before not far from the shambles but was in for a treat, especially the mixture of original artwork throughout the cafe upstairs and downstairs.

Staff were friendly, coffee was excellent and I had a delicious cheese and tomato panini, all good value. The missus enjoyed an iced tea/coffee of some description which she enjoyed too.

York needed a cafe with artwork for art lovers like me for a long time!

4 Thank John_boyyy
Hungry A, Owner at The Hungry Artist, responded to this review, September 25, 2014
Hi

Sorry about the late delay in responding, we are just getting up to speed with social media and tripadvisor.

Thank you for your comments , we are pleased that you enjoyed your visit to Hungry Artist and you will be pleased to know that we have a new exhibition in our upstairs gallery so we hope to see you again soon.

Leeds, United Kingdom
“A must when in York...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

I was in York early Saturday morning and found this artists cafe, 'The Hungry Artist' a stones throw from Parliament Square. For me it was ideal; comfortable, nice Americano coffee. The art is everywhere, it's possible to buy a painting there and then, which I was tempted to do. I ended up in York longer than planned, so after looking at other places for a light lunch, I returned to the Hungry Artist ...a lovely hot sandwich set me back £3.50 with salad garnish and potato crisps. Everything is so reasonable so say it's so fashionable. I'd recommend it rather than throwing money at the big chains of coffee shops.

• Visited July 2014
4 Thank JackWhiteley
Hi

Thank you for your comments , we are pleased that you enjoyed your visit to Hungry Artist and hope to see you again soon.

“A lovely little treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

I visited today with my friend, sister and my niece (14 months old). The value is excellent a pan in for 3.50 served with fresh said and scrummy crisps.. A great snack and very filling. The latte was very hot which was great and the gluten free chocolate cake went down a treat ... especially with my niece who has an intolerance.

What really made our day was the kind blonde lady who works there (she had a foreign accent and went out of her way to make our visit a friendly experience... thankyou for this I didn't catch your name ). First... she moved out of the seats she was working at as she realised we needed space for the pram. My niece was enjoying some froth from the milk in our coffee and the lady kindly brought us a small complementary "babychino" (warm frothy milk) for her to drink. Very child friendly. A lovely spot and great value for money and now that we have 3 stamps on our loyalty card we will be visiting again to this lovely spot in the next few months. Thankyou again!!

3 Thank Charlotte T
Hi

Thank you for your comments , we are pleased that you enjoyed your visit to Hungry Artist and have in fact recently increased the range of gluten free cakes on offer. Hope to see you again soon.

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Relaxing place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

Great place to sit and people watch while having a cup of coffee or a iced tea. The staff are polite and friendly

• Visited August 2014
7 Thank rachael a

South Shields, United Kingdom
“Cheerful Relaxing Lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

This is a lovely place stop for a coffee or milkshake and a lovely panini, it has a pleasant area in the back to sit outside too. There is also original art on the walls for sale which is varied and interesting to look at whilst taking a break in this lovely City. It's just round the corner from The shambles in Church street next to the pub The Golden Lion.
Will definitely return on my next visit to York.

• Visited August 2014