“just what a b and b should be”
Review of Alcuin Lodge

and 1 more site!
Alcuin Lodge
Ranked #3 of 192 York B&B and Inns
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“just what a b and b should be”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

having read other reviews before staying here we were expecting good things,although being somewhat cynical I was not totally convinced it was going to be as good as reported,and to be fair it wasn't,it was far better,spotlessly clean, great breakfast, good location and at the risk of embarrassing Darren he was a great host,reviews are supposed to help people select suitable accommodation, and be balanced, with any negatives included, and I have considered this,and tried to be objective,however I can say that in my opinion,for value for money,service and a warm welcome Alcuin Lodge will take some beating.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
AlcuinLodgeYork, Owner at Alcuin Lodge, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
What can I say? Feedback like yours and knowing that you enjoyed your stay so much reminds me of exactly why I opened Alcuin Lodge. Thank you for your lovely comments and for taking the time to share them. I hope you'll be back to see us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here with my family for my daughter's graduation and it was also my birthday .. Darren made the whole experience very special. Everywhere is spotlessly clean, breakfast is freshly cooked to order. Darren certainly goes that extra mile to make your stay enjoyable! Have already booked to go again for a Christmas shopping trip!!

• Stayed July 2013
AlcuinLodgeYork, Owner at Alcuin Lodge, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Glad you all had such a great weekend of celebrations in York. I'm happy to have been able to provide you with a family base for the weekend. Thanks for your positive comments about Alcuin Lodge and I look forward to seeing you all again in December for some Christmas shopping!
Reviewed July 17, 2013

An excellent overnight stay and good coffee too. The room was comfortable and airy even on a very hot night. The breakfast was good and generous. Darren is charmingly helpful beyond necessity and witty. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013
AlcuinLodgeYork, Owner at Alcuin Lodge, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
I really appreciate your great feedback. I'm pleased Alcuin Lodge and I provided you with everything you needed for your short stay in York. Thank you for your recommendation and I hope we'll be seeing you again in the not too distant future.
London, England
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed here for just one night but will certainly return next time I'm in York. Situated in a quiet and green street, yet only a short walk, including through a beautiful park, to the historic city centre, it was really nice to have such a peaceful location in this busy city. The room was very clean and comfortable, and more than large enough. The owner was very friendly, and more than ready to give advice on the city, and furthermore cooked an excellant breakfast with many choices. I'll be back!

Room Tip: Room 1 was nice, overlooking a green area
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
AlcuinLodgeYork, Owner at Alcuin Lodge, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
David, thank you for taking the time to share your impressions of Alcuin Lodge. I'm delighted that you found the twin room at the back of the house so peaceful and quiet - we're very lucky with our location being in a residential area but with a 5 minute walk to all city centre attractions. I appreciate your positive comments about the hospitality you received and hope we'll be able to look after you again soon on your next visit to York.
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is a top-class B&B in a lovely location near the Museum Gardens. Pristine decor, very clean bathrooms, perfectly cooked breakfast. Darren gave us a couple of excellent recommendations for lunch/dinner so do ask him for advice.
The only reason it doesn't get Excellent is because the sleep quality could be improved with black-out blinds/curtains. And the babies next door gave us an wake-up call at 6.45am on both mornings - clearly can't be helped but I'd avoid the twin room at the back if you'd prefer a lie in. (NB: Breakfast is only served between 8-9am which is a pretty narrow window for early birds/late risers).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
AlcuinLodgeYork, Owner at Alcuin Lodge, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for your generous description of Alcuin Lodge as "top class" - I'm just pleased that you felt so well looked after and enjoyed your stay. I was sorry to hear that you didn't sleep so well with the long light nights and some sound coming through windows open due to the heat. I'm glad you made the most of your stay in York and hope we'll be seeing you again soon.
KL
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We had a two nights stay in this extra friendly and clean B&B. We can't thank Darren enough for providing such welcoming and comfortable environment during our stay in York. We are ashamed to admit that we were there until the very last minute that we left in a rush without writing our notes in the guestbook.

York has done a very good job in it's tourism industry. It has all sorts of activities to keep one going, from morning to evening. We finished our free city guided tour near 9pm and were lucky to get a table in a popular indian restaurant, which served yummy naan and curry dishes.

Tip: Darren gives very precise and good advice on places to eat and things to do. His knowledge on local activities is spot on. Do seek his advice, it's well worth it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
AlcuinLodgeYork, Owner at Alcuin Lodge, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Thank you for your lovely comments. York has so much to offer and it's sometimes hard to know what to prioritise during a short visit so I'm always happy to talk through some of the hidden gems of the city. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your visit to York so much and even happier to know that you felt so welcome at Alcuin Lodge. I hope you'll be able to come back to see us again some day.
Russikon, Switzerland
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The slippers only rule in the house suit me to a T! Why would anyone walk on carpeting with shoes they had on outdoors. Our room was accordingly spotless. Bathroom especially nice but the shower a bit temperamental. The bed linens were excellent but the bed a bit firm for my taste. I do think one of the new bed toppers would be a good investment. Our breakfast wishes were carried out with flair and the food excellent. Darren was also a great source for tips on where to go and what to see. We would definitely book with him if we make it back to York. Good value for the price.

Room Tip: Large room with a bay window, one flight of stairs up.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
AlcuinLodgeYork, Owner at Alcuin Lodge, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Margaret, thank you for your lovely comments. I'm really pleased you enjoyed your stay at Alcuin Lodge and that you felt well so well looked after. I appreciate that the firmness / softness of beds is a matter of taste. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback and I look forward to you visiting us again in the future.