“Can't Fault it - breakfast was amazing!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ashley House

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Ashley House
Ranked #13 of 205 York B&B and Inns
bordergal
“Can't Fault it - breakfast was amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2010

Visited with my boyfriend in February and we're still raving about the food!
Right from the start I was impressed with the place, Phil was really helpful on the phone when I booked telling him we'd be a late check in (10pm when normal time is until 7pm because they don't live there) and I got a text from him before we left (I missed his call) to check he'd given us the code to get in the front door.
I work in a hotel so automatically inspect a room for cleanliness/attention to detail when I walk in and other than the towels being a little small I couldn't find anything to comment on! The bathroom was spotless, the room wasn't huge but there were plenty of cupboards and drawers to keep things in and there was plenty of milk/tea/coffee etc along with some lovely shortbread in an air tight jar - very tempting!
Breakfast in the morning was the biggest treat, they only have 5 bedrooms so you'd expect a fairly limited menu of maybe full english and variations thereof. We were shocked and impressed at the variety on offer, there were at least 12 options on there including the 'yorkie breakfast - not for girls!' that you'd expect. We both opted for the delicious sounding french toast with blueberries, honey and fresh yoghurt on our second morning and devoured every mouthful. My boyfriend used to work as a cook and thought it was beautifully made and presented - so much so that I went back to work and suggested we try it ourselves - sorry Phil and Emma!!
The atmosphere is so relaxed and friendly and you're left to your own devices making it a great base for sightseeing or whatever you fancy doing - I'll definitely reccommend it and we'll be back I'm sure

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Northern Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2010

We stayed here for my birthday in December and it was a wonderful stay. Everything is so homely we felt right at ease. Breakfast was lovely all orginic and freshly made to order. We would strongly recommend it.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2010

We stayed in a room with a roll top bath which was very tastefully decorated. The bed was very comfy, The breakfast room was tastefully done and breakfast was great. Phil the owner always had a smile on his face and was very helpful. I would highly recommend Ashley House.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2009

We stayed at the Ashley Guest House for three nights in room 2, very prettily decorated, clean and with a really comfortable brass bed. We arrived outside check in times, but the owner had sent the door code so were able to get in with no problems. Wonderful cooked breakfast. Highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
vintagelover84
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2009

Stayed at this lovely guesthouse with my husband. We had room 4 which was on the top floor and had a bath in the room. Delightful room and lovely decorated guest house. The breakfast was yummy. Phil, the owner, is very helpful! Would definately recommend to anyone!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
UK Hull
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2009

Me and my husband stayed at Ashley Guest House, the room was well decorated and we had the room with the bath tub near the bed, it was a nice thought but it was a bit anoying need to go to the loo as we had to go out of our room to use the loo and having a separate key and then locking it when ur finished so no one else could use it. When we got back from looking round the town me and my husband descided to have a big bath but we got in and we noticed a really bad smell coming from it so we got stright out again and had tp call Philip who ran the B&B to come up and take a look at it though it was fine after we used it once but the smell was awful and not we needed.
Though Philip was nice and the decoration was well thought out I thought we were quite alone as Philp and his partner and two children live some where else.
Also on the last night the B&B got broken into because some one left the key in the door in the kitchen and stole peoples credit card details so my partner had to phone up the bank and cancel his card. and then to top it off the ghost walk got interrupted by a drunk guy trying to hit on someones girl friend so the guy hit the drunk guy and 4 bouncers from near by pubs ran to pin the drunk guy down and called the police
it was good to get away but we could of done with out all the commotion and things at the B&B need to be a bit more thought out for the room we stayed in. other wise I think our stay would of been a little better. i dont think i would recommend it to a friend because me and my partner have stayed at better places.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
wigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2009

Ashley guest house is by far the best we have ever stayed in,the rooms were spotless and modern with a wonderful comfy bed .heaven, breakfast was very very nice great to have someone cook for us we will definately go back Phil was very helpful and friendly nothing was too much trouble the 10 minute walk into town acoss the park along the river was lovely very scenic we loved York loads to do and see for everybody. anyone visiting York need look no further Ashley guest houseis perfect thanks again Phil you were the perfect host and have a beautiful house.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple