Ashley House
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsplum roomguest houseb brocky roadhost philfrench toast with blueberriesrowntree parkcity centreshortbread biscuitsparking permitbishy roadon arrivalroll top bathbreakfast was amazinghome made cakesa wonderful stayminute walk
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Very nice family run B&B, with very friendly helpful owners and probably the best breakfast menu I've seen, and the best breakfast I've ever eaten. Located away from the noise of the city centre but very easy to walk there and back, felt like a safe walk even late at night. Will stay again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Grahame_Goode
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Just back from two nights at Ashley House. Phil,Emma and their staff could not have been more accommodating. Our room was spotlessly clean, beautifully decorated and had the most comfortable bed! The ensuite also was clean with a large powerful and hot shower and also had a window which is unique in b&b's. The breakfasts were gorgeous with a good menu to choose from. The lounge for residents was a lovely extra to have.

Will definitely be back!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Joe_and_Laura
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Myself and my partner recently had a 2 night stay at The Ashely Guest House in York. Life has been a little stressful recently and we decided we needed a relaxing break somewhere that neither of us had been before. I spent days trawling the internet for reviews and recommendations (it's difficult to know where to go when you have never visited an area before) and I finally found The Ashley Guest House which seemed a very good balance of quality and value for money so I took the plunge and booked.

We were not disappointed!! We were a little concerned about staying in a B&B as again, neither of us had much experience of this type of accommodation and I had already ruled out a few places as they had rather scary looking pictures of very keen owners who I thought might not give us the space we needed. When we arrived the owner was there to meet us and we had an informal but informative exchange where we were given a map of the city, told how to get in to town and shown to our room and given the keys. After that apart from breakfast and a chance meeting in the park we didn't really see them again until it was time to check out and pay the bill which was exactly what we had hoped for.

Our room was clean and beautifully decorated with a lovely bay window that let loads of light in. We had tea and coffee making facilities and some lovely shortbread biscuits. The room was en suite and the facilities were again very well presented and clean. The bed was very comfortable and the linen was clean and crisp. The room was nicely furnished and I had plenty of room to do my hair and makeup before we went out.

Breakfast was served from 8.30 in the morning I think. The breakfast room was a cheerful sunny room at the front of the property and there were plenty of tasty options on offer. My partner is a Coeliac therefore required gluten free options. We took some of his bread with us as always but the owners were very happy to cook to accommodate his needs. I opted for the full cooked breakfast which was beautifully cooked and not greasy at all. There was bread on offer so you could make your own toast. Also fresh fruit, juice and cereal were available on self-service and you could request coffee and tea in many forms.

The B&B was situated near to the Rowntree park which was beautifully landscaped and shown off to it's best by the gleaming sunshine that showed it's face for the whole of our trip. The city centre was only 10-20 minutes’ walk away depending on how drunk you had gotten that night. One way to walk was along the river which was lovely and relaxing as you could watch the boats cruising up and down. The city itself is stunning with loads of beautiful architecture and history. We sat in the park near the Minster and ate gluten free cupcakes from the cupcakery around the corner which were beyond delicious. We did also have a walk along the city walls which are dotted with little bits of information regarding their construction and history. At night there were plenty of pubs and bars in which to sample cocktails and sit and have a chat overlooking the river of winding cobbled streets.

I had such a lovely time in York and I would definitely like to return as soon as possible. I wouldn’t consider saying anywhere other than the Ashley Guest House.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Laura C
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Stayed for 2 days in October the weather was excellent. What can I say, Phil u always makes our stay perfect,. The breakfast is the best., sausage 2 die for. Will be back next month. Truely an home from home. Cheers Phil.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Colinwalton
Reviewed October 1, 2012

have been a visitor to york many times and normally stay in large hotels. decided on ashley house more because of availability. my husband and i have found our new accommodation for all future visits. beautiful property with plenty of character and luxury. phil could not be more helpful and even phoned us on the way to direct us in through roadworks. breakfast the best i've had in a long time. well done to you all for making our stay the best yet. see you soon.

Room Tip: room 4 with the roll top bath is lovely.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple