“Couldn't fault it”

Ranked #97 of 192 York B&B and Inns
bordergal
“Couldn't fault it”
Reviewed September 2, 2008

I stayed in a single room at the Abbingdon for 2 days and loved every second I was there.

I work in a hotel myself and therefore have experience in all areas of the hospitality industry. The room was clean, with tv and dvd player which I loved. The bathroom was small, with just a shower but spotlessly clean and well worth the £32 per night!

Tony and Alison were friendly and welcoming, remembering each guest by name - it's easy to see why they have so many regular guests, the Abbingdon really feels like a home from home.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — nothing - everything was great
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Scotland
Reviewed August 25, 2008

We had a lovely time staying at the Abbingdon. The breakfasts were very tasty and nothing was too much trouble. Rooms were spotless and very comfortable. The non alcholic minibar was a great idea although we did not use it. Also the provision of fresh milk was a boon and the use of the fridge was very welcome. The house was in a quiet street not far from town and it was possible to walk from railway station. Tony and Alison were very friendly and full of helpful information and seemed to be really interested in all their guests. If we go back to York we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
norwich, england
Reviewed August 14, 2008

my boyfriend and I stayed for 3 nights last weekend and I cant recommend it high enough. having previously lived in york for 10 years, when we went back for a friends wedding, I knew the area I wanted to stay in. This guest house is a stones through from the city centre although you probably wont realise it as it is lovely and quiet (although the football stadium is close by so I imagine match days are louder)
The only down side is the parking is onstreet and at busier times it could be hard to park. you do get a permit from the guest house.
the breakfast was lovely, loads of choice and really sets you up for the day.
Thanks Tony and Alison for making Johns and my stay fab! Jenny

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jennifer H
Liverpool, England
Reviewed June 9, 2008

I stayed at this guest house in a single room and my parents stayed in the double room [or as they found out a triple room, very big]. It was for one night only. The price of our rooms were reasonable and I wasn't charged anymore for my single room which a lot of B&B's usually do. I couldn't fault it at all. The couple who own the guest house are welcoming, friendly, polite and efficient. The rooms themselves were clean and had everything you would need in them. I particularly liked the "snack pack" which was a sort of minbar where you had the choice of crisps, chocolate, drink etc. Great if you are peckish late at night lol.

What set this apart from other B&B's for me was the fact that between 1pm and 7pm you could order meals [taken in the dining room] or snacks [brought up to your room]. These were delicious and reasonably priced.

The breakfast the next day had all you would want. A choice of a cooked breakfast, cereals and toast plus juice and tea and coffee etc. You could have as much as you liked and the service was excellent.

Great location as well.

Would recommend 100%.

• Liked — snack pack, menu, breakfast
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family