“a yorkshire welcome”

Ranked #70 of 192 York B&B and Inns
Bristol
“a yorkshire welcome”
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

given the positive reviews on here I was really quite surprised by this B&B. When I arrived felt like I was really putting them out checking in. I was even more surprised to find that the room did not have ensuite facilities but that they were down the corridor. On the first mroning the latch went and locked me out of the toilet/shower so I had to use one in an empty room. They cooked my breakfast anyway while I was getting ready as that was more convenient for them.

The breakfasst was a real 'yorkshire' offering - if the cliche about yorkshire people being careful with money. You could have fruit juice or cereal but not both? By this time I was wishing York had more Premier Inns.

On the plus side it is well located for the centre of York, which is a beautiful city.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank PaulSmithbristol
Jane307, Owner at Monkgate Guest House, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Mr Smith, I am so sorry you were disappointed with your stay at Monkgate Guest House. We were not at the property that weekend but know our relief staff would have done all they could to make your stay a pleasant one. I will look into you comments and contact you direct. I would just like to say however for anyone else looking to book a room with us that a private bathroom is not en-suite but it is for your use only. This does seem to cause some confusion. We have 2 of these rooms, the rest are en-suite but we do mention it on our website.
Kind regards, Jane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Canberra
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Had the family room, which was great with two separate bed rooms - a double and a twin. Also included ensuite. Room had charm but was practical and close to city walls. My daughter loved the teddy bears and the decor in the twin room, she also watched two DVDs from the selection provided. The room also contained a small walk in robe which was great to keep suitcases out of way but... if you had a baby you could also put travel cot in there. Breakfast was great and plentiful! There was tea and coffee facilities but only down side (and its a small one) there is no fridge. I would return and would recommend.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank minkyjane
Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in May last year. I loved the character of the place, despite the teddy bears! The owners were so welcoming and friendly. Breakfast was delicious. I had the full English breakfast every day just because I couldn't get enough of it.

My room was a single en-suite. Since it was just me, it was a good size room with a nice wardrobe and the bathroom was clean and tidy.

The parking situation is odd, I have to admit. However, once we got there, we walked everywhere so we didn't have to worry about getting the car out until we left. The owners did all the parking for us.

It's not your typical cookie-cutter hotel so if that's what you want, you're better off staying with Holiday Inn or Best Western. If you want something that's more reminiscent of home with warm, inviting rooms and friendly staff, I highly recommend the Monkgate Guest House!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Betsy V
Sunderland
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Good location and very family orientated. We have just come back from a 2 night stay with our 3 year old. The family room was a great size for us, lovely big bathroom with Lots of hotwater and lovely smellies. Plenty of fluffy towels too. The family room we booked had a good sized bath (room 5) is on the back of the building so can feel chilly, but there was an electric fire, extra blankets and even hot water bottles...but even in May, coming back to a warm cosy bedroom was bliss. Breakfasts were cooked freshly to order and were delicious and filling.
The family room had teddy bears to help our little one feel at home, and she certainly enjoyed cuddling into her new friends in her cosy and comfy bed. Overall the hotel and bedroom was clean and comfortable, no traffic noise to impede a good nights sleep, but the springs in the double bed were a little noisey when hubby turned in bed. Jane and William were both very friendly and their hospitality was warm and friendly. Definitely recommended for any families ....we had a fabulous stay and would definitely return on our next visit to beautiful York.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sunderlandcat
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed with my boyfirend for a weekend break and we were warmly welcomed on arrival and informed of the local attractions in a really helpful manor. The guesthouse is perfectly located around a 5-10 minute walk from all the places you want to get to in York's centre. There is no double glazing, however, so ear plugs are a must for light sleepers! The cooked breakfast was delicious with good quality sausages and bacon being used. My only dissapointment was that the room was very small for the price we paid and the shower was external to the room itself. The owner's were both very pleasant though and made our stay enjoyable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank felicityhm
Stockport, UK
Reviewed February 22, 2013

This was a really nice B&B. We were warmly welcomed by William who even offered to park our car! and shown to our room (#5). This is a recently decorated room which was larger than we expected with a double and single bed and full separate bathroom, both of which were really clean. Breakfasts were great and filling and top ups offered. We wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. Thanks for a lovely break Jane & William.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Was a lovely stay here, we were only here 1 night but had a nice clean room at the back of the guest house. The owner was very friendly and helpful, he told us about things to see in York and how to get around. The full english breakfast was nice and filling.

The only negative was that the shower was at best luke warm, bit too cold for our liking in the winter!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Jane307, Owner at Monkgate Guest House, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you so much for your review, it is greatly appreciated.
We are just sad you had to suffer a tepid shower but thank you for drawing our attention to the problem.

We look forward to seeing you again one day!
Best wishes Jane