“best I've stayed in”

and 1 more site!
Burswood Guest House
Ranked #63 of 194 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 8, 2010

All that is advertised on the Burswood Guest House web page is true. First and foremost when travelling I look for cleanliness and this house is spotlessly clean. Bathroom facilities are excellent and the bedroom cannot be faulted. I liked having a variety of teas and coffees in the room and fresh milk from with fridge. There was also bottled water. As is usually standard these days, there was a TV. I appreciated being able to iron my own clothes in the room and I had laundry facilities if I was staying longer. I have limited mobility but this was not a problem as I could park easily and access to the dining room from a ground floor room posed no problems. Cuisine was superb and the full English breakfast was a tasty gastronomical experience, - the best i have ever experienced..

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Marky18

Reviewed September 5, 2010

We travelled all over Ireland, England and Scotland for 3 weeks, and this was by far the best B&B in which we stayed during the whole trip.. George and Maureen were very gracious and very welcoming. This is exactly what a B&B should be.

I would definitely recommend this B&B to anyone. If you are planning a trip to York, make sure to book your reservations for Burswood. You won't be disappointed!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2010

We were attending a wedding reception and the Burswood was on a list of accommodation within walking distance of the venue. I am so pleased that I chose this as it was fabulous. It's a very easy ride to the centre of York on the number 4 bus which stops close by, but it's the facilities and welcome that make Burswood outstanding. A very warm welcome from George and Maureen, and the beautiful Holly room made for a great night. The best was yet to come.....the breakfast. Served in the conservatory overlooking the garden, it was absolutely delicious . My only complaint? I was only there for one night :-)

Reviewed August 26, 2010

This was not our first visit and it will not be our last. The Burswood maintains the exceptionally high standards we have come to expect: for those who have not yet had the pleasure, let me tell you what to expect.
First impression is of a very well cared-for home with beautiful hanging baskets of flowers and a wonderfully colourful flower bed. Parking is secure and on site. At the front door the welcome from George and Maureen is warm and friendly.
The accommodation is outstanding. For example, our room 'The Orchid' is tastefully decorated and (of course) includes a live orchid; facilities include a fridge, trouser press, ironing board and iron, individual bedside lamps and a central nightlight, a kettle and good quality crockery with an ample supply of tea, coffee and biscuits and George provides fresh milk and mineral water daily. There are a couple of comfy armchairs. The bathroom has a bath with shower attachment as well a big walk-in shower and there is a heated towel rail. We always seem to travel with far too many bags, but we manage to tuck them away in the limited, but well thought-out storage space.
Breakfast in the conservatory overlooking the garden - there are binoculars for keen bird-watchers - is simply excellent. Fresh fruit in abundance (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries all available in season) a choice of cereals, tea, coffee and as much toast as you can eat accompany a full English breakfast of outstanding quality and presentation.
A word about the location: on the Tadcaster road, just outside the city of York, Burswood is ideally located for the Knavesmire, famous in history and legend as the place where higwayman Dick Turpin was hanged, but today the location for just about the best horseracing in Britain. The grandstand is easy walking distance, so avoiding the hassle of the racecourse carparks. It is also a great jumping off place for the North Yorkshire moors and the Derby dales.
In short, if there is a better B&B than Burswood in the United Kingdom we have yet to discover it.

Reviewed August 21, 2010

This is luxury at its best is a small family run guest house. Feather pillows, king-size bed, heavy towels, remote controlled air-conditioning. Spotlessly clean, beautifully decorated to a very high standard with real plants and flowers. A fridge in your room and flat screen TV. The owners couldn't do enough to help. Superb!

1  Thank Ruth2000
Reviewed August 21, 2010

The Burswood Guest House is the perfect place to stay in York especially if you plan to go to the races. The location is second to none with extremely easy access into York City Centre on local buses which run every 10mins. The racecourse is in walking distance. We loved our room and the breakfast was outstanding. The hosts, George and Maureen were so friendly and helpful.

Reviewed August 18, 2010

My husband and I had not planned to stay in York as we were making our way down the East Coast, but as luck would have it , we stumbled upon Burswood and decided to stay for one night in the most cleaniest, friendliest and most comfortable establishment that we have ever stayed in. I don't think I will ever stay in a hotel again. The owners were lovely and very accommodating. Breakfast was particularly good. As well as all the cereals and fruits (every fruit imaginable by the way), there was a pot of good coffee and all different types of bread which you could toast yourself. The cooked breakfast was worthy of Masterchef, well presented! Maureen and George made us feel very relaxed and most welcome. Little things like fresh orchids in your bedroom and on the breakfast table everything was just, well perfect... I would definitely, definitely, stay there again.