“Had a great stay”
Review of The Georgian House

The Georgian House
Ranked #81 of 194 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 30, 2008

Since 2003, we have stayed at The Georgian Guest House four times. This time we definitely noticed improvements in the place, by means of the decor, furnishings and friendly service, The full english breakfast was great and the staff making and serving the breakfast were very nice and helpful. We would stay there again without hesitation. The location is excellent for all historic sightseeing.

Boyce Family, Glasgow

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed July 3, 2008

I by no means claim that this hotel is perfect, but i have paid allot more to stay in worse places than this.
I spent a few days a week here for most of jan, feb, and some of march this year whilst working in york., and ive got to say the location is second to none. Its a few mins walk into the heart of town, and right near a small sainsburys local (open 7am till 11pm)
As for the accomadation i found it was hit and miss, some rooms were quite roomy and well presented, while others were small and quite dingy, overall though i think they are as good as you can expect for the money. Over the period of time i was there the manager was doing some painting and improvements as he had only just bought the place.
The breakfasts were excellent, the serving staff were friendly, and i used to enjoy the quick visits from jack (the jack russel) when he managed to sneak past the staff.
There can be a problem with noise from the street, but no more than any other place on a busy street, and in think this can be forgiven as its a small price to pay for an excellent location.
Overall i would highly recommend this place, and i stayed there enough!

I have noticed that most of the really bad reviews were from people who stayed before the change in ownership, and from what i heard whilst i was there the previous owner left leaving quite a few problems, most of which, in my opinion have been solved and i would definitely visit again.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed May 28, 2008

After admittedly struggling to find a room in york at short notice we came across The Georgian House on the web and they had a room available. We could see that this was a 'budget' hotel but at £75 per night it's not that cheap.
When we arrived the owner was very friendly and helpful carefully explaining the best night spots for us to visit. I now know that this is because you would not want to stay in one of the shabby rooms for any longer than you need to. On entering the room we noticed that the carpet had not been visited by a vacuum in the recent past, the drapes around the 4 poster were tatty and covered in dust. I opened some of the drawers and found a pair of ladies tights! What?!?!?!?
Anyway, we went out and got drunk and then came back and went to sleep asap. Both myself and my wife woke up with flea bites.
In the morning i went outside for a smoke and found out from a resident that it is actually used to house homeless people on benefits and immigrants, are these places not called 'doss houses'?. Fair enough but should you then sell on to unsuspecting members of the public?!?!?!?!?!
All in all we would not go back to this place which is a shame because the location is great. I urge people not to use it, it's awfull!!!!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed May 18, 2008

This hotel has just had a refurbishment by the new owner, it looks almost complete, our room had original oak beams and a nice view of well kept gardens, the dividing wall between the adjoining room was plasterboard and on our second night the guy next door decided to come in at 2am and shuffle his furniture about and leave his tv on all morning, there is no volume limiter on the tvs, there is a lone dog (jack) who hangs out at reception and he did yap a bit during breakfast, i think he was telling the waitress when the orders were ready. Breakfast was very nice, full English with yogurt and fresh fruit also available,the staff were very pleasant and the Hotel is only 5 mins walk from York Minster, bars and resteraunts etc, there is a small Sainsburys next door to the Hotel which was handy for newspapers and drinks. The car park is a bit small and tricky to park with one space for each room (8) theres a sign saying please park on the nearby pay and display if theres no room, that costs £2 an hour so i would suggest you make sure you are guaranteed a spot, we had no problems but would not be happy paying that. we paid £60 for a double room and we considered it good value.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2008

I booked this hotel at short notice for my partner and I to have a weekend away. Then I found this website and almost cancelled and I am so glad I didn't. It's not magnificent but it was clean, the staff were friendly and the breakfasts enormous. Our room was deep in the bowels of the building and I suspect suffered from damp because the bathroom was huge (and clean) and opened directly onto a small bedroom but we were just sleeping there so it wasn't really an issue for us. The location is very close to the city centre which made it very convenient for sight seeing and walking to restaurants at night. All in all I was more then satisfied and felt we had got what we paid for, a budget hotel within walking distance of the railway station and right in the centre of York.
Will we return? In the abscence of a lottery win, most definitely.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 11, 2008

To state this two night stay was reminiscent of Fawlty Towers would be an understatement.

We checked in and had to pay for the room before we had even seen in - that should have started the alarm bells ringing! We were told where the room was and had to make our own way there. The room was 'grotty' looking and there was a cigarette stub in the middle of the floor. How did that get there in a non-smoking guest house?

The toilet was disgusting and looked like it had not been cleaned for at least three months. The shower was not much better. The shower did not work at all on Saturday morning and on Sunday morning the hot water simply stopped coming through the taps into the room. We turned the tap on as far as we could and no water came out.

The door bell and reception bell is one in the same. It was very, very loud. At 4am someone started ringing the bell. This went on constantly for over 15 minutes, wakening everyone in the house.

On the morning of departure, our bed linen and towels were changed, pending the arrival of the next guests, while we were at breakfast. As we were not due to check out for over an hour, we found this completely unacceptable. How were we meant to dry our hands or even try for another shower before we left? On the positive side, it prompted us to get out of that place sooner rather than later!

On the positive side, the breakfast was very nice on both mornings and the bed was comfortable.

Needless to say a letter of complaint to the establishment has gone unanswered. I even sent a photograph of the disgusting toilet to them!!

We have stayed in many guest houses thoughout the years but never have we been in a place as bad as this.

• Stayed: December 2007
1  Thank LittleoneScotland
Reviewed February 11, 2008

I have just stayed at The Georgian and disagree with many of the bad reviews given here. I had already booked my room when I discovered this website so was unsure what to expect.
However I found The Georgian to be a clean and comfortable B&B with friendly staff. For the price and location I don't think it can be beaten. Those reviewers who thought it was the worst place they had stayed in clearly haven't stayed in many B&B's! If you are just looking for a decent cheap place to stay I would highly recommend it.
If though you are looking for somewhere with all matching furniture and plush surroundings I suggest you spend a bit more...I don't quite know what those people were expecting for their money!!
The only downsides I discovered was that their was no hairdryer or sky TV.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled solo