“great location, great value”
Review of The Georgian House

The Georgian House
Ranked #78 of 195 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I stayed at The Georgian House for 2 nights in May with a friend.We were very pleased with the location, it's minutes away from the many restaurants, shops and the minster.It is very reasonably priced and although it's a little tired in places it was very clean and comfortable. The staff were really friendly and helpful and although we hadn't booked breakfast we were told if we wanted it we could just let the staff know early in the morning which is handy. Even though we didn't eat there we did have a drink in the bar and again it was clean and friendly.The only problem was the shower wasn't particularly hot and the wardrobe was wobbly so the door kept opening but the overall experience was very enjoyable and I would definately stay there again.
Also, if like us you don't make it in time for breakfast (didn't want to get up early -i'm on holiday!) there's a fabulous little place across the road called "Evie's ".It's a tea room by day and bistro in the evening. The breakfast was wonderful and a good price.Its well worth a visit.

1  Thank rshar36

Reviewed May 28, 2013

This could have been a good experience but I left more than miffed.

The location is excellent, the room was fairly decent and generally clean.

When on the second night I took my shoes off I stepped into a water soaked carpet. I thought well maybe a spill, no problem but when I put down a towel to absorb, I realized the water was coming from the ceiling.

Well, the very nice girl at the front desk genuinely was concerned but could not find a problem above. She said the owner would return about 10PM. I agreed to wait up so he could see what was happening and avoid unnecessary damage. He showed up about 10:30, poked on the ceiling, found a leak in the bathroom above. He was pleasant but not once did he say "sorry for this problem". So I wondered why I was even concerned for his property at all.

The drip, drip, drip into a waste basket was a bit annoying but that's life when there is a full house.

What really annoyed me was upon departure the snarky lady asked "did the leak stop?" I responded yes, but hot water would have been nice in the shower. "Oh, it should be scaulding, I'll have to check, have a nice day goodbye."".

Again, never sorry mentioned for anything and I really had the feeling that they did not know how to deal with adversity or worse yet did not care. "I'll have to get the decorator to fix the ceiling".

So in conclusion, with the least amount of apology or even a "can I offer you a coffee" I would have left feeling less annoyed.

So, would I return? NO

Reviewed May 28, 2013

As the name implies it's an old building. There are narrow stairs, beams and oddly shaped rooms and I would've been disappointed if there hadn't have been. Graham (the congenial host) is building an extension on the rear of the property, (to be opened mid July 2013). He then plans to use the generated income to renovate the main part of the house. I strongly hope that rather than try to modernise what already exists, that he instead brings back some the original Georgian style. (No chip-wood wallpaper).
My room was a small double en-suite (room 12) for 4 nights. I must say I fell in love with my attic room from the moment I walked in. Even the chip-wood wallpaper and the feature wall could not detract from the fact that I was in what had probable been a servants room. Ok perhaps minus the en-suite. There were two main areas for improvement, which I have no doubt will be addressed during renovation. The first was the fact that the couple next door were very passionate early evening, which due to the poor sound insulation was audible. The second was the poor heat insulation. The room had a fierce radiator that threw out substantial heat which made the room very comfortable, but as heating was not on continually, the rapid drop in temperature was a good indication that the heat was lost very quickly.
Something else to mention as other review have also mention it, is the room lighting. In my small double en-suite that was a total of 7 lights, 3 of which did not work.
7 LIGHTS! The 4 that worked were MORE THAN SUFFICIENT! So Removal of some will be advised during the renovation.
Other than that the room was clean and comfortable, and I loved it!
The staff were everything you would want from a small run accommodation. They were friendly, helpful and certainly made me feel right at home from day 1.
Location was perfect for parking the car (in Bootham Row with free permits supplied by The Georgian House) and going everywhere on foot.
Breakfast was a shock! I have eaten many breakfasts, in both small family B&Bs to large international 5* Hotels, and it was a PLEASANT SHOCK to find that the breakfasts served to order were not only prepared to an excellent standard, but either they used high quality produce or were able to make it seem so. The sausages were to die for. If you choose to stay here BREAKFAST is a MUST!
Would I stay here or recommend it to family and friends? Just try and stop me.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Clixangel
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I booked The Georgian House back in January as my husband wanted to watch his football team play York City and with it being just after his birthday I thought we would make a weekend of it.

Within 20 minutes of placing my reservation I had had an email confirmation from the booking site I used and had also received a separate email from the hotel owner Graham to confirm and give us a little more information on the hotel.

My husband then sent an email to Graham regarding a couple of queries we had. The response was remarkably quick and helpful. A great first impression which was to prove 100% accurate.

On arrival we were greeted by Graham who booked us in and showed us to our room and apologised for the fact that one of the bed side lights was not working but assured us he would look at it and try to sort it out.

On walking into the room it was a lovely room well laid out and extremely clean and comfortable.

When we returned to the bar we asked Graham how we would go about booking breakfast. He advised we could do it now or just let the staff know in the morning. We decided to book then and had a pint in the resident's bar before heading out into York. While we had our pint we decided we wanted to do a ghost walk and found Graham incredibly helpful in recommending 2 which he had been on himself. We saw another one which we quite liked the look of and asked Graham about this. He said that he had never been on it so couldn't really comment, but asked that if we went on it we could let him know what we thought in case he was asked in future.

The breakfast the following morning was wonderful. They say you can't beat home cooked breakfasts. I would add to that you can't beat a home cooked breakfast using locally sourced ingredients which was exactly what we got. We were served by incredibly friendly and helpful staff, who couldn't do enough to ensure that we were happy with our food and drinks.

We stayed for 3 nights and started each evening with a pint or two in the resident's bar chatting to Graham and he was wonderful in giving advice when we were unsure what to do with ourselves providing either his own personal opinions when he had done things or passing on reviews from previous guests where he hadn't personally visited places.

Overall, the hotel was wonderful, and made so by Graham and his staff.

I cannot rate The Georgian House highly enough, Tripadvisor needs to add another rating as "Excellent" does not speak highly enough of this wonderful establishment. We have booked again for November and our taking our friends with us on this occasion.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carla R
Reviewed May 20, 2013

This hotel is about 50 metres from the old city walls & only 5 minutes walk from the Minster so fantastically located for all the main sites. It seemed strangely quiet when we were there, we didn't see many other guests (possibly because we were on a room only basis) but could certainly hear some quite clealry through the bedroom wall. The room sizes vary enormously. Clean but slightly musty smell downstairs. It's an old building with steep bendy stairs. Decent bathrooms but no shampoo or shower gel. Tea & coffee facilities (no tea pot) & nice little pre-packed biscuits. Friendly staff. Good value taking into account the central location & the fact that everything's pretty pricey in York.

Room Tip: Avoid room 10 unless you are very good friends, it's reminiscent of a narrow boat. Room 3 is hug...
1  Thank MaryWG G
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed in room 16, a twin room.
Beds need maintenance. Room was average but for the price of 45 pnd a very fair price. Bathroom needs also some maintenance but don't forget you only payed 45 pnd.... so accept!
We did not have breakfast, we bought bread at the supermarket on 15 yards.
Staff is frirendly and the B&B smells clean anf fresh.
Georgian house is on 70 yards of the citycenter and about 10 minutes walk from the station (about 3/4 mile)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stayed 2 nights for a local wedding. The room was clean and nicely decorated. It was pretty dark, and the lighting wasn't great, but the bathroom was nice and bright and overall we were happy with the room. We were in room 2 which is near the front door, so a warning that if you stay in that room, you will probably get woken up by late night guests returning (as we did!).
Staff could not have been more helpful and the guest house is right in the middle of the city - very short walk to the Minster etc. Bed was comfortable and we liked that we didn't automatically get breakfast included as there are countless lovely establishments in the city to eat a variety of breakfast options! Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: avoid room 2 if you're a light sleeper...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple