“A wonderful choice of hotel for couples*****”

Marmadukes Town House Hotel
Ranked #14 of 45 Hotels in York
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“A wonderful choice of hotel for couples*****”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

In my opinion its the service you receive that makes an experience memorable and Marmadukes succeeded in making my memory of this establishment memorable.

It started with a phone call prior to me booking the hotel just asking questions about the general hotel and location where all my answers were met with a friendly and informative answer.

After this it came to my attention that i would have to reserve a parking space in the car park on site as they only had limited spaces and unfortunately they did not have any spaces left. However rather than just truing their nose up at me they explained that they could accommodate my car until 4pm at which point it would have to be moved but they appreciate that i would be out and about around York so explained that if i left my keys at reception they could move it for me on to the quiet residential road outside the hotel where any type of car would be safe.

The hotel also let us check in early and leave our bags with them as we arrive early in the morning to make sure we had a full day in York. (It is the small things that count)

As we were celebrating my boyfriends birthday i wanted it to be special so i took a bottle of champagne with me and left it at reception where they placed it in our room with balloons and swan towels to make it romantic for us.

The hotel staff could not have been more helpful and polite and really made our stay hassle free and enjoyable. The hotel itself was very clean and fantastically decorated to a Victorian town house style that made it feel very homely and far from commercial.

I would return in a heat beat,

Thank you Marmadukes.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Marmadukes Town... H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Thank you for an amazing 5 star review.

I am so pleased to read that we excelled on our customer service skills, this may read as a surprise but we actually enjoy you meeting you and sharing your plans, telling us why you picked us out of all of the other 45 hotels in York? We genuinely enjoy your company and actually these chats make our days very interesting.

Our car parking does get so busy and we so hate that look you give us when we are full. So yes we do try all we can to help you, so you can go sightseeing as soon as possible. After all we are lucky to be located in one of the most beautiful cities in the World.

Thank you for your review, I hope you boyfriend contacts us direct to return the gift on your birthday.

Thank you for taking the time to write your wonderful experience here at Marmadukes Town House Hotel.

Lucy Neville

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

The Marmaduke Hotel boutique was a lovely place to stay. The fact it was a boutique gave it character. The hotel as a whole was very clean and tidy. The bedroom was spotless and the bathroom was very clean. Myself and the girlfriend was given a free upgrade when we arrived, we were lucky enough to get a four post bed which was extremely comfortable. The breakfast in the morning was nice and filling, not to much and not to little. The hotel was a nice straight 10 minute walk away from the town centre so the location was pretty much perfect. All staff were pleasant and helpful. I would highly recommend this hotel, and will stay again when i visit York in the future, . . .

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time and leaving your review.

It is not very often anymore but if we do have any bedrooms remaining we always try and upgrade where we can. Our Four-poster bedrooms are lovely and the roll tops baths are perfect for a long soak.

Our perfect location has had its now regular mention, the perfect stroll in to town and only being 10 minutes away is certainly an attractive point for Marmadukes Town House Hotel.

We will look forward for you returning back to us , hopefully in the non-too distant future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

Every time we visit this hotel, we feel right at home. The rooms are gorgeous, the staff are friendly. The location is great, the view from the room was breathtaking, the breakfast was lovely. Overall, it was a great visit. As always, it's a pleasure to stay at this hotel! Highly recommended!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time and placing a lovely 5 star review.

What an amazing summary! We are all thrilled with this perfect review! We are so lucky to have guests like yourself returning back to us.

See you very soon!

Kindest Regards

Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

My girlfriend and I were attending an event in York and wanted a nice hotel to stay in for the night. The pictures of Marmadukes caught my eye as it looked very beautiful and it certainly was that. The building is an old, large town house with fantastic reception rooms, a nice bar, bright restaurant and lovely garden at the back. It's a fantastic location, about a 10-15 minute walk from the city wall which you can then walk along to get to the city centre. Remember to book parking in advance; however, I didn't and the staff still managed to accommodate me.

We stayed in a four-poster room which was superb. the room was very nicely decorated, very clean, quiet, spacious, light and well-equipped. It was a joy to be in, almost made it a shame I had to go out that evening! The roll-top bath is a great touch. I saw somebody had written not to stay in a four poster because you can't see the TV.... try shifting over!

I am troubled to read a recent bad review about this hotel which appears to display the staff in a bad light. Let me very simply explain just how wrong people can be! A few days before arriving, I emailed about a possible upgrade, which Daisy gladly helped me with and arranged for us to be moved into a four-poster room as there was availability (not all hotels will do that). Upon arrival we were very warmly welcomed by a young girl on the reception and shown to our room. I had an outfit nightmare, I was going to a black tie event and discovered that the top button of my new jacket was missing! The girl on reception searched everywhere to find me a needle and thread even whilst busy dealing with another, understanding customer. After checking out, tired and worse for wear from the night before, my girlfriend and I were undecided as to whether we should go home or have a walk around York. As they were so friendly, we got chatting to Daisy and Lucy (the general manager) who recommended various things to do and see all within walking distance (thankfully not just shopping!). Lucy even let us leave our car in their car park until it was next needed later in the afternoon and offered us a cheap parking permit if we needed the whole day - bear in mind this was all AFTER we had checked out and we hadn't even previously met these staff. We had a very enjoyable time following their suggestions and just picked the car up later.

We will definitely be returning to Marmadukes, hopefully the loft suite next time! one point on value, remember hotels in York are expensive on a weekend. Even the Holiday Inn was about £95 when I was booking. Our room was £129 which included breakfast, certainly comparatively good value. If you are looking for a hotel which is a little different in its individual attention to detail, then this is for you. I found it odd to see bad reviews for this hotel so decided to look at some of them. Frankly, some of the things that people complain about are ridiculous. Things can go wrong and are sometimes beyond human control. what is important in the hospitality industry is how the management/staff deal with any problems and how friendly they are in their approach. I had no problems at Marmadukes but feel very confident that, if I did, the staff would have done everything they could to help. Writing a nonsensical bad review does nothing to help anyone. I would urge anyone reading to take note of all the good things said about this hotel and thoroughly recommend a visit!

We'll be back, and thank you again,
Chris and Jess.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 509, a four poster. This was a gorgeous room and very spacious with a separate bat...
3 Thank chris_towland90
What an incredible review! Thank you so much for taking the time out and posting such a well-documented review on for Marmadukes Town House Hotel.

We are a fabulous location and certainly walkable to the city centre. We have lovely lounges and yes our garden does not get mentioned very often and we find this a shame as it is a perfect secluded garden where you can enjoy reading the newspaper with you morning coffee or relax and have an evening drink in.

You certainly have made all the team here shine. From our Reception team welcoming you, to the cleaning standard our Housekeeping team work hard to keep to our beautiful standards to the lovely restaurant team.

Our Sales & Revenue Manager ensures that we are competitively priced in York so we are always positioned at the correct level in comparison to our competitors. You are worth spending a little more time and ensuring you book what you need for your trip in York.

Well Chris & Jess we can’t wait to show off our Loft Suite to you and have a special guest like yourselves return back to us as quickly as possible.

My Very Best Wishes & Kindest Regards

northern england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

Lovely peacefull hotel just a few minutes walk from the city centre, excellent staff, lovely rooms and decor, good breakfasts and a lovely place to spoil yourselves for a few days
Although there was no option of an evening
meal, the sister hotels just a short walk away were offering a good choice of menu.
I would reccomend the parking in the hotel as the surrounding streets are for permit holders only except on Sundays

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for a perfect 5 star review.

We are situated in a lovely peaceful area of York, such a short distance from the City Centre. We do not have an evening restaurant on site, but with being only a ten minute walk away from the city walls you have all the options of York’s fabulous restaurant selection, especially our wonderful sister inns (Lamb & Lion & Guy Fawkes).

Car Parking is definitely recommended to pre-book at the charge of £5 per night; this is the best value for money.

Thank you once again for finding the time and leaving an amazing review.

Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

Although I will be 40 in April, this was unbelievably the first hotel that I've actually ever booked. I was a little nervous as it was a surprise treat for my partner and I wanted it to be perfect but to even say that I had a small budget was being generous!!

I spoke with staff at the hotel, at length on two occasions and they were extremely friendly, patient and helpful, not only about their hotel but about York and my stay in general.

When we arrived we had the marvellous surprise of being upgraded and the room was divine! Beautiful, clean, well set out and marvellous views. Despite being busy the staff were yet again fantastic and made us very welcome. I felt we were treated as valued, individual visitors and not 'just another check in'.

I cannot fault a thing about the stay. the bed was comfortable, the bathroom spacious and the room airy (it was and extremely warm weekend) and peaceful, we felt totally relaxed.

The breakfast slot was generous so we had the scope to get up early and get on with the day or have a lazier morning (we chose the latter!!) and the dining area well set out and again immaculate. There was a lovely relaxed atmosphere and the staff were friednly and eager to please. The quality of the food was top notch and we requested our own cooked sandwich creation which they were happy to prepare.

We took the opportunity to nosey around the other lounges and although we didn't use them we were suitably impressed. The decor was fantastic and the layout perfect for several 'parties' to relax in their own little spaces.

I had pre-booked parking and I would advise any future visitors to do the same as the price was very competitive compared to the York city charges. The location of the hotel is very convenient for a stroll into the centre.

I hope that I am lucky enough to be able to return for another stay in the future.

Room Tip: 506 is **perfect**
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Firstly thank you from all the team here at Marmadukes Town House Hotel; this is one of the warmest and kindest reviews I have read on here.

I am so pleased we did not disappoint on such a special occasion. We do value all of our customers and care a great deal about your stay with us, to read that this was apparent in your review; this has cheered all the team up here.

Our lounge areas are very different, we have our cosy red lounge to get comfy and watch TV or our grey lounge is light and airy to read your morning newspaper in.

Any requests whether it be a speciality sandwich or a specific type of bedroom, just ask we will always try our hardest to make your stay the perfect getaway.

I truly hope we are lucky enough to have you return back to us.

Long Compton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

I stayed at Marmadukes Hotel for two nights this week (June 2014) and am full of praise for the hotel. I was very warmly welcomed and my single room was exactly as described on the telephone and website. Although small (as described) my room was attractively furnished and the en-suite bathroom convenient and very clean. Even the shower, which normally I hate, was easy to use and, unlike most hotels, one didn't drench the bathroom floor whilst trying to avoid strong jets of water! I enjoyed breakfast at which just the sort of food I like was served and it was pleasant to have tea in the elegant and comfortable drawing room.
All of the staff were pleasant, friendly and very helpful and I intend to make another visit in the future.
Carol.

Room Tip: I have no knowledge of other rooms. Mine was quiet during my stay and there was no noise from cars...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for an amazing Five Star review.

Our Single Bedrooms are certainly petite but very popular and certainly they are lovely bedrooms if you are sightseeing. To future guests who are interested in our single bedrooms, they both have showers so if you do wish for a bath, please book a double bedroom.

I am so pleased to read in a number of reviews, that our breakfast is receiving more positive responses, please don’t forget we are always happy to offer requests.

Thank you once again Carol and you have cheered us up no end here at Marmadukes Town House Hotel.