“A little disappointed.............”

Ranked #13 of 46 Hotels in York
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
“A little disappointed.............”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

My Wife and I stayed at Marmadukes this weekend for one night in a 4 Poster bedroom (Not actually a 4 poster bed its a bed with a canopy !!). We parked the car no problem in the small car park . I must admit I was a little put out regarding the £5 fee on top of the room price of £160 but In hindsight the fee is not extortionate considering you have to pay £11.50 for 24 hrs in the car park down the road near the city wall. The receptionist was very pleasant when we checked in and she directed us to our ground floor room in the annex . The initial impression of the the room was it was hot & stuffy and smelt musty this was due to the large radiator being full on on a warm day. I switched the radiator off and tried to open the windows but they were old sash windows and wouldn't open. To be fair when we came back later on that evening the smell had gone and the room was cool .The room itself was clean and tidy the furniture was 1920's style big and well made the bed was very comfortable, the large chandelier was however was full of cobwebs. I think the flat screen tv looked totally out of place on the wall with a small shelf below it with the freeview box inside it with wires dangling down to the plug socket below. The bathroom had a large Victorian style bath with hand shower, sink and toilet,the bathroom itself was clean and there was plenty of good quality towels The bathroom is quite dark (not helped by one of the ceiling lights not working) and would benefit from a couple of spotlights to highlight the bath and give more light over the sink .
Breakfast.... oh dear
We went down for breakfast at 9:45 we were shown into the sitting room (a rather dingy dark room with old tired looking furniture and 2 stacks of chairs left from the wedding the night before) adjacent to the dining room and were told they were a "little behind". 10mins later we were shown to our table. Our order was taken and we were told to help ourselves to cereals and juice from a small table in the middle of the floor however there was no orange juice no fruit and no bowls the waiter was oblivious to this and we had to ask 10 mins later a kitchen maid/helper sauntered in and plonked them on the table (she can only be described as totally uninterested and in a daydream) . The coffee and toast arrived and we we told by the totally flustered waiter that our cooked breakfast was coming soon . there was at this time 4 tables waiting for the main course . we got our breakfast 25 mins later!!! I asked the waiter what the problem was and he said the waitress hadn't turned up and he was the cleaner. I have got to say he was very apologetic and under the circumstances did a fantastic job with no help from management !. The breakfast itself was average at best and the coffee was weak and insipid . When i asked for more coffee during the 25 min wait I asked for stronger coffee the waiter came back with the same coffee as before.; but by this time I was beyond caring. When the main course finally arrived guess what no ketchup on the little table just an empty bowl again I had to ask and by the time Dolly Daydream arrived with fresh ketchup i'd finished eating. I also noticed during this time a young couple just left when no one took an order or seated them.
When We checked out I spoke to the duty manager she said she was a troubleshooter but she seemed unaware of the fiasco at breakfast She did give us a small discount on the room and hoped we would come back in a few months when she had sorted out the hotels problems.
Its a shame I have had to write this but I feel the hotel is not what is described on its website the service and attention to detail which makes a hotel 4* is just not there. 2* at best .

4 Thank Phil B
Marmadukes H, Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you for taking your time to review us!
I am sad to hear you were disappointed with your stay with us.
I am glad you found your room clean and tidy and comfortable once it had cooled down for you; we provide individual radiator controls so guests can control the radiators themselves which we have found to be useful to guests.
We are at present in the middle of doing a deep clean of the rooms and the chandeliers are top of our lists especially following your feedback; we have passed onto maintenance regarding the light not working to replace this immediately.
Regarding breakfast service , we sincerely apologise regarding this, this was a one off occasion which had resulted from some sudden staff absences that morning however this in no means should have affected service or been made aware to you and we do again apologise for this. We do care about our guests and as noted to you on departure a new management team has come in to try and bring the level of care and service to the highest it can be and enforce new procedures and training.
We have taken your review as constructive feedback and do hope you return to us soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

we were only here for one night, as my sister held her wedding here. The hotel is lovely, very Victorian with rooms that suit.
The wedding went off without a hitch, the staff are lovely, very friendly and attentive and would definitely recommend it for small functions, and just to stay in.
A very good time was had by all, too good by some!!!!
Lovely hotel, lovely staff, food good, a little short on parking but not far from the city centre so transport not really needed.
Highly recommended!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Marmadukes H, Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you for your review!
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us for a wedding!
We pride ourselves in our weddings and hope you recommend us for similar events!
We hope you may return to the hotel in the future.
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2013

My partner and I have just returned from a one night stay in the Loft Suite. The suite was lovely, very clean and pure luxury. The staff were helpful and friendly. The hotel was only a 10 minute walk from the city centre which was great when going out to eat in the evening. The breakfast was filling and tasty. One of the best places we have stayed in and we will definitely return.

• Stayed September 2013
4 Thank Hannah2403
Marmadukes H, Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for taking your time to review!
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we do pride ourselves on customer service so I am happy your found our staff friendly!
I will pass this onto our staff!
We look forward to seeing you soon!
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We stayed in Marmadukes last year & returned again this year. It was excellent last year but this year was outstanding. From arrival to departure we were looked after to the highest degree. Jo/Juan is flamboyant ant welcoming, helped us with our cases and ensured we had everything we needed as did the rest of the staff. Beds are super comfy & had a restful nights sleep. I can also strongly recommend the ham & cheese omelette for breakfast!!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank LyndaMcCartney
Thank you for taking time out to review us!
We are so glad you decided to return to Marmadukes and even more that your stay had significantly improved year on year! Jo is a new member of our team who does pride himself in excellent customer service and is an asset to our team! I will pass your comments on to him.
We hope you return for a third time as it would be lovely to see you!
Windermere, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2013

After taking the time to decide where to stay whilst visiting York I came across Marmadukes. I wanted something special as a night away with out children and a belated Xmas present or my other half was planned for the day. When booking the four poster room was not available so opted for the deluxe room. The day before arrival I view the website and saw that their was a four poster available so contacted the hotel and was very kindly upgraded at no extra charge. We arrived around 5pm and checked in no problem, the car park had about 7 cars in it and plenty of space. We checked in and were shown to our room which looked lovely, on closer inspection it was very dusty and not cleaned to the high standard which I expected. Pillows were very cheap and uncomfortable, the street outside was very noisy most of the night so hardly slept. Breakfast was served downstairs, when we arrived no body was there and no members of staff to be seen. We sat ourselves down looked and the menu and helped ourselves to cereal and croissants before a member of staff came to take our order. The food produced was lovely and set us up or the day however the crockery and cutlery was dirty and once breakfast was served the member of staff didn't check if we had enjoyed and even ignored us when we left the breakfast room. On checkout we were told about the charge for the car park, this was briefly mentioned on check in and I was annoyed as the car park was not full and if you read in the information book in the room the road outside the hotel is free to park between 5pm and 9am and all day on a Sunday, we were never made aware of this and was bluntly told by the receptionist that as we have used the car park we must pay as it says on the website £5 per day. I reluctantly agree and said we would leave the car in the car ark and go explore York, the receptionist rudely told me I would have to move it by 1pm to which I argued that I then haven't received the full day I am saying for. After a really nice day with my partner the day before And trying to make a special night away more special by booking somewhere nice this left a real sore taste in my mouth and I shall not be returning to Marmadukes.

Room Tip: Don't pay for parking park on the road it's free after 5pm until 9am and all day Sundays Ma...
2 Thank j82anderson
Thank you for taking your time to review us!
We are glad you were upgraded to the room you originally wanted to book; we do try and upgrade were we can and as much as possible.
A new management team has just started here and we are looking into ways we can improve and your review has given us some good constructive feedback. We are running a deep cleaning schedule now to make sure that our standard is very high and that it is kept.
We do pride ourselves on serving a lovely good quality breakfast and glad it set you up for the day; we do care about you so we are shocked you didn't receive a check back and will ensure these occur in future.
Regarding the parking our policy is clearly stated on our website and all confirmation letters, we do still stand by our charge on a Sunday as we are a secure car park however we have taken on your feedback for if we do review this in the future; I am surprised to hear you thought you were rudely spoken to as we pride ourselves in our friendliness and customer service.
We do hope you will return soon and see the improvements that are being made at the hotel!
Newtonhill, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Finally got round to writing a review on this. Having been to York 3 times in the past, I decided to return for New Year 2012 with my then girlfriend. Researched lots of luxury hotels and settled on the Loft Suite in the Marmadukes Hotel. Overall we weren't disappointed and this is one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in. The Suite felt like a mini apartment and was tastefully decorated. Added the fact we stayed in winter time, it added to the cosy atmosphere, especially with the spot lights built into the roof.

Really comfy living room area, a separate toilet, bedroom with a large walk in cupboard and a luxury bathroom complete with bath, double shower / sink and a sauna. Nice view of York Minister from the bedroom. It was very clean and comfortable and we were sad to leave after a 4 night stay.

Staff were good and although breakfast didn't have the largest selection, it was filling and well presented. Nice cosy living areas downstairs to relax in and a small bar. The hotel itself is about a 10 - 15 minute walk from the city centre / train station and there are a good amount of car parking spaces within the grounds. Taxi to city centre was usually around £5.

Some of the few negatives include: DVD player wasn't in the living room area, therefore we had to take the smaller TV through from the bedroom with it's built-in DVD player to watch DVD's. A little areas of décor could have had better attention to detail. Finally, the door seal on the shower was faulty and would let water flood all over the floor, so you had to be a little careful with this so not to make a mess. These are all picky things

Would definitely recommend to couples and I would certainly come back again some time in the future once I find another girlfriend :-) 4.5 stars but closer to a 4 than a 5, though only just!

Room Tip: Loft Suite if you can afford it
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking your time to review our loft suite! We do love all our rooms in the hotel but we do agree the loft suite does have that something extra special about it!
We thank you for your constructive feedback regarding the DVD player and we have taken this on board. Obviously your stay was in December so maintenance issues have been addressed and also we are constantly improving our decor.
We hope to see you in the future!
Glossop, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Myself and my girlfriend stayed here on Friday. It was advertised as a 'small room' and let's face it they're weren't breaking any advertising regulations with that description. However, it was clean, it was tidy and i thought the room and the hotel in general were very nice. A minor gripe of having to pay extra money to park the car in the hotel grounds - what was i expected to do, leave the car on the road, or in an NCP? Surely charging extra for a car parking space is a little greedy, add the price to the room rate and then advertise free parking. A minor gripe mind. The staff were both helpful and polite and overall i found Marmadukes to be a lovely little boutique hotel that i'd definately return to.

I'd even, through gritted teeth, cough up for a car parking space in the grounds of the hotel that i'd paid money to stay in.......see....doesn't sound right does it?

i'd definately stay here again........and drink less.

Room Tip: We stayed at the top of the hotel, a loft room with two velux windows. Small, but well prepared and...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review with us.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay, we do take feedback on board however we do believe our parking is a fair charge in comparison to other arrangements for other hotels and also cheaper than a council run car park and secure with CCTV.
We will obviously take your feedback on board if in future we decide to review our parking arrangements.
We do hope you return soon!