“Wedding Accomodation- Very, Very Dissapointing”

Marmadukes Town House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in York
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Wedding Accomodation- Very, Very Dissapointing”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I would urge you to think twice before you book this hotel -especially if it is in aid of a special celebration or treat. We booked the hotel for ourselves and some of our wedding guests for two evenings and although the interior looks charming and tastefully decorated on the website unfortunately the reality is somewhat disappointing.

The attitude of the staff was at best complacent, there was not even the effort of a 'congratulations' or a card in the room, (even though the bridesmaids, ushers, best man, groom, and bride were all seen in our outfits the day of the wedding), nor was it cleaned whilst we were there. We were very disappointed when we got back to the hotel on the night of the wedding.

I work in hotel design and have been fortunate enough to stay in some beautiful hotels around the world, this is the first one I have ever had to write a complaint about. After looking at the website we thought the hotel looked charming and beautiful, however we were very disappointed with our room (as was every other guest who stayed in the group booking) the bathroom in particular was a let down complete with a yellow stained bath- nice. The TV was a bit of an eyesore with cables trailing down the wall, the room was hot and stuffy and a lot smaller than it appears on the website.

Our guests paid a lot of money to stay in the hotel as a treat and celebration of our wedding and none of them were happy with what they received which to be honest was a little embarrassing.

I had booked the hotel 8 months prior to our wedding and had reserved each room under each corresponding guest's name who then individually rang up the hotel to book the rooms on their own credit cards. I double checked the details of each room twice leading up to the wedding and had confirmation both via telephone and email. The hotel double booked one of our guests and ended up putting her in the most expensive of the two rooms ( I had booked her the lesser expensive option). During the morning of the wedding whilst the said guest (bridesmaid) was busy getting ready with me, the hotel sent my younger brother up to the room demanding payment of both the room she was staying in and the empty room they had double booked by mistake! (they took our payment as soon as we checked in which is unusual but I now understand why). We had to argue with the receptionist (just what you need on the morning of your wedding) that obviously she would not be paying for an unused, unbooked room that was a result of a mistake made on their part. The receptionist said she would 'have to speak to the manager' who then sent me an email the day after my wedding stating- 'We understand it was an honest mistake and you were unaware you had booked two rooms'. Not only that but they also emailed me chasing for £13 for a guest who had not paid saying they would be deducting it from our credit card. The rooms were individually booked with each individuals card details, it is not my responsibility nor obligation to pay for other guests.
Finally my brother had an empty bottle of wine in his room (one of the 3 my sister had bought at the bar for everyone when we returned on the night of the wedding) which led to the hotel also saying they would charge me for the bottle of wine consumed in the room as it was unpaid for(not the case).

I could overlook the tiny overpriced rooms, the lack of any kind of personality or hospitality, the lack of draught beer, the lack of staff, the lack of lemons or limes at the bar on a hot summers day, the lack of cleaning, the lack of toilet roll in any of the rooms etc but trying to charge one of our group for an unused bedroom as well is really the last straw.

The hotel has the potential to be very nice, the public rooms and bar are tastefully decorated and the breakfast was also well done. It is however the running and managing of the place that lets it down. They need to invest in some well trained hotel staff, there is no personal touch, no charm, no effort. The staff who emailed me and spoke to me prior to the booking were in fact quite helpful but this was definitely not reflected during or after our stay.The rooms are very tired and barley meet a 4 star standard. The whole place it is in desperate need on an injection of TLC along with well trained staff that actually care about the guests. It could be a nice boutique hotel were it maintained and run correctly, as it is it falls heavily below par.

I have emailed the hotel manager which rendered no response (quelle surprise!) I have told them I shall be writing a review on Tripadvisor and further to seeing their condescending responses to past bad reviews on Tripadvisor I would expect some kind of sarcastic response back to my feedback. This is the first review and first complaint I have ever made about a hotel but I implore you, if you are looking for a nice boutique hotel for a special occasion give this one a wide birth!!

(However if you are looking for a nice wedding venue in York look at The Hospitium -York Museum Gardens a beautiful venue with highly efficient friendly and professional staff, some family also stayed in the Hilton in York and said it was fantastic service).

11 Thank Faye R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We had a beautiful first floor bedroom which was furnished to a high standard. The room was a little on the small side but it was fine for a one night stay. We were shown to our room by a very helpful and friendly member of staff who supplied us with a fan as we were in the middle of a heat wave at the time. The centre of York was a short walk away (about 10 mins) although we were offered a taxi by reception. Parking was very limited so I suggest you book a space, but we parked overnight on the street. Breakfast was lovely.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Marmadukes H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave such positive feedback.
Our rooms are all of differing sizes so should you return to us in the future please do not be shy to ask for one of our larger ones
Pulborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We have recently come back from York, where we had booked 3 nights at Marmadukes boutique hotel via Secret Escapes. Marmadukes offers bed and breakfast accommodation and comprises two Victorian buildings side by side in a pleasant, quiet, tree lined close, only a 10 minute stroll from the walled town centre. Both villas were built in 1881 as gentleman's residences and the rooms are spacious with high ceilings and tall windows. The furnishings are in keeping and if you like brocades and crystal chandeliers then this is the place for you. Our room was on the top floor of building no. 2. It was not huge, but cosy with a very comfortable brass bed and neat bathroom with great walk in shower. At night we could glimpse through the trees one illuminated York Minster tower. Quite atmospheric.
Breakfast was served in the modern orangery at building no. 1. There was a choice of tasty hot and cold food.
Staff at reception and in the breakfast room were exceptionally friendly and willing to go the extra mile to make your stay enjoyable.
Would we recommend Marmadukes? YES.
Not for nothing is Yorkshire called "God's Own Country". The countryside is absolutely gorgeous and the people we met were fantastically friendly. Definitely worth going back to. Not surprising the Romans stayed for so long! Visit Fountains Abbey if you have the time.
Tips: Book a car park space at Marmadukes for convenience. Wear comfortable footwear. We walked for hours through the small cobbled streets of The Shambles where we felt totally safe, even late at night.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
What a wonderful review, thank you very much!
I am delighted that you were so appreciative of all we had to offer and left with such a high opinion.
I hope we can welcome you back again in the future
Rochdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for just one night, very easy to get to and to find. The check in was effortless & the all the staff warm & friendly with nothing too much trouble. There's a nice garden out back that was great in the sunshine for a few drinks. York centre is a short 10min walk away. The rooms were a good size & comfortable & very clean. Only downside (hence 4 stars) was only bath & no shower - though the bath was in keeping with the theme..it did have a shower attachment on the taps but weirdly no water came out even with the taps on full which did have good pressure? Nontheless, this was only minor & we would gladly stay here again when in York. Oh, breakfast was really nice too :)

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave such great feedback.
I am delighted that you had such a lovely stay with us.
Should you return to us in the future please do not hesitate to request a room with a shower if this is your preference. We do attempt to accommodate all guests requests
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Stayed overnight in this lovely hotel, the staff were very friendly and helpful, our room was beautiful good size with a large bathroom, the rooms and hotel are well maintained and it has a good sized garden , the full english breakfast was the best I have ever had in a hotel , I think they use local produce. I seldom write a review but felt that this was such a gem of a hotel that I would share our experience when so many hotels you stay in fail to live up to expectation. The hotel offeres parking at a cost of 5 pounds a night, it is situated on a residential street and was in a quiet location about 10 minutes walk into the centre of york , there is also a tesco express nearby . Would certainty stay again.

• Stayed July 2013
Marmadukes H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a wonderful review.
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and yes you are correct, the produce we use for breakfast is supplied locally.
I hope we can welcome you back again in the near future
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Excellent with a lovely Victorian feel throughout and in a brilliant location! Not far to walk into the centre of town and very good for parking. The garden is lovely for drinks in the sunshine and the breakfast room was very stylish and cool for a hot summer morning with a high standard of décor. In my opinion the best hotel in York, cant wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for such great feedback and what an honour to be called ' the best hotel in York'!
Please recommend us to your family and friends and I hope we can welcome you back soon
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2013

The staff were all pleasant and booking in and out was effortless.
The room was decorated in an old Victorian style and was very quaint but the bathroom was clean and modern.
Like a previous review, it was warm over the period we stayed and all there was only a table fan to cool us down.
We stayed b&b and the breakfast was of good quality and quite varied.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your positive review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your break with us.
Our hotel is Victorian built with good old thick brick walls but which can unfortunately hold the heat in high summer. We do have extra fans available on request
I hope we can welcome you back in the future